Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fear of flying

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
It is strange , humans seem to think nothing of tailgating another car at 70 mph when the stopping distance at that speed is ridiculously greater than the actual distance we're following is , and we do this knowing that it's impossible to stop and there's a chance of death or serious injury , so why would travelling on the safest form of transport known to man scare us ? it is indeed a tough one to work out , and i'd much rather drive somewhere than fly if at all possible , i sympathise with Rainman all the way on this subject .

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just ask Watford zero before the flight if it's going to crash-he knows everything

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is strange , humans seem to think nothing of tailgating another car at 70 mph when the stopping distance at that speed is ridiculously greater than the actual distance we're following is , and we do this knowing that it's impossible to stop and there's a chance of death or serious injury , so why would travelling on the safest form of transport known to man scare us ? it is indeed a tough one to work out , and i'd much rather drive somewhere than fly if at all possible , i sympathise with Rainman all the way on this subject .

Oddly enough I am totally the other way round. I fly fairly often for work (yes, I know, bad for the climate but I don't get a choice) and am totally used to it so that it has become as routine and as dull as putting out the rubbish. On the other hand I have a full driving licence but haven't driven for a very long time because the behaviour of a lot of people on motorways scares the shit out of me. It really has got to the "anxious about being anxious" stage with me and driving and I don't think Valium would be a good idea :lolol:

Luckily my wife is a very experienced driver and is happy to take the wheel on our longer trips while I use the bus, cycle, walk or run for local trips.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve never been a particularly anxious person, but I’ve completely lost my nerve when it comes to flying. I’m fully aware of the safety stats and read up on how a plane stays in the air and all that stuff, so I know the fear that’s left is irrational, but I just can’t shake it.

It has meant missing out on a trip I would’ve really enjoyed this weekend, and also previously meant having to drive a ludicrously long way for a family wedding rather than a fairly short flight.

Any advice or tips from people who have struggled with flight anxiety?
We had the most horrendous flight back from NY years ago right through a thunderstorm hand luggage flying everywhere in the plane turbulence was horrendous when the cabin crew looked shaken I did start to panic. Pilots must of worked hard to get us through that. Put me off for a bit and then I got back on the saddle and believe fear is nothing it doesn’t exist it’s only your mind playing tricks.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Flying is a piece of cake to me, but I avoid it as much as possible because I'm claustrophobic.

The thought of being locked in a small metal tube with 300 people does my brain in to the point where i don't give flying itself the slightest worry.

I'm not sure which phobia is the more debilitating.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nowhere near as bad as refusing to get on a plane, I'm what you might call a "nervous flyer". But something I found out purely by coincidence was sitting forward of the engines helped. As a smoker I was always sat at the back when they allowed smoking, but when that was banned I randomly got a seat in row 5 or 6 or thereabouts and felt much better. No idea why, maybe less engine noise or something, but it certainly helps, and now whenever I check in I sit as far forward as I can.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I’ve never been a particularly anxious person, but I’ve completely lost my nerve when it comes to flying. I’m fully aware of the safety stats and read up on how a plane stays in the air and all that stuff, so I know the fear that’s left is irrational, but I just can’t shake it.

It has meant missing out on a trip I would’ve really enjoyed this weekend, and also previously meant having to drive a ludicrously long way for a family wedding rather than a fairly short flight.

Any advice or tips from people who have struggled with flight anxiety?

I was never a great flyer, but about 20 years ago I had a full blown panic attack on a flight to Paris, I was hyperventilating and I literally couldn't move as all my muscles went into spasm. I was suffering with a number of stressful issues at the time, mum was really ill with Cancer, and I think everything got on top of me.

It ruined the time away as the whole time I thought about getting back on a plane to get home, anyway thanks to the brilliant staff on British Airways I did, but I said I would never fly again. Like you I missed out on a number of brilliant experiences, lads weekends away, stag do's, family holidays etc..

Anyway 3 years or so ago I got made redundant as the company I worked for went into administration, desperate for a new job I applied at a company, interview was going brilliantly and at the end they said " we are an international company so air travel is involved I assume that is OK"...... There was a silence when I told them I didn't fly.

Long story short, they offered me the job on the basis that I overcame my fear of flying, I went to see a hypnotherapist they recommended and met the cost of the course. I went to see the guy and he was brilliant, it was a mix of understanding the psychology of fear. coping techniques and hypnotherapy.

I flew to Edinburgh as a practice flight soon after and after initial worries once we got took off I was absolutely fine, I've since flown to Dublin, Berlin, Malaga and Portugal, although the last trip did bring back some anxiety as it had been a while since the last flight, but after listening to the CD the hypnotherapist provided I felt calm and relaxed again.

I've had some 'interesting' flights in this time, an emergency landing due to a medical emergency, a call for a doctor on board on another flight and my last flight to Portugal had an aborted landing.....However just booked another trip in February to Hamburg to see Stereophonics.

I used this guy in Hove - https://www.naturaltherapypages.co.uk/therapist/thespencepractice/329, but his website doesn't seem active anymore so he may have stopped his practice.

Apologies for the long response, hope this helps and you can find someone who can solve your problems, personally I don't think drugs are the answer, but my sister swears by them.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Nowhere near as bad as refusing to get on a plane, I'm what you might call a "nervous flyer". But something I found out purely by coincidence was sitting forward of the engines helped. As a smoker I was always sat at the back when they allowed smoking, but when that was banned I randomly got a seat in row 5 or 6 or thereabouts and felt much better. No idea why, maybe less engine noise or something, but it certainly helps, and now whenever I check in I sit as far forward as I can.

There was a C4 programme a few years back that crashed-landed a plane [being flown by remote control] with crash-test dummies strapped in random seats with all the measuring kit [g-force, etc.] set up. The results were very interesting and now encourage me to select a seat as near to the back as possible - g-force dissipation makes this the most-survivable place to be.

The other point to throw in is that if an aircraft is above 25,000 feet and breaks up, the lack of oxygen means you'll fall asleep with hypoxia before you hit the ground - aka death by anesthetic is painless.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Mrs W is exactly the same. She flew for years quite happily ( ex-husband worked for BA so lots of cheap flights ). Then all of a sudden she couldn't travel on transport that she couldn't get out of - aircraft being a perfect example. Went to therapy but that didn't help. Last year she got a job that meant she would have to fly and so went to her doctor. Now she just takes Valium given to her by her doctor. Knocks her out for the flight and can leave her a little drowsy the other end for a couple of hours but it's extended where we can travel completely. I'd suggest going to your doctor - just as long as you don't need to do too many flights, because Valium is addictive, then your doctor should give you some. We do about three return flights a year and Mrs W's doctor is still happy to give it. Be warned though - it makes you dribble !!!!

This I find interesting, I'm sure many do it, but the reason airlines won't let you fly if you're too drunk is because if an emergency situation requiring e.g. an evacuation arose, you'd not be in a fit state to partake.

Does Valium render you incapacitated in a similar way to being drunk? Maybe it renders you sleepy, but does not diminish your thought process - or maybe it does?

Honest question, what's the difference between being out-of-it drunk or out-of-it on Valium from a safe to fly perspective?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There was a C4 programme a few years back that crashed-landed a plane [being flown by remote control] with crash-test dummies strapped in random seats with all the measuring kit [g-force, etc.] set up. The results were very interesting and now encourage me to select a seat as near to the back as possible - g-force dissipation makes this the most-survivable place to be.

The other point to throw in is that if an aircraft is above 25,000 feet and breaks up, the lack of oxygen means you'll fall asleep with hypoxia before you hit the ground - aka death by anesthetic is painless.

I was told the other day that the only reason the brace position is pointed out as part of the emergency briefing is that it is less likely that you'll be decapitated and therefore makes the clear up crew's job of identifying the bodies easier (sorry OP).

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was never a great flyer, but about 20 years ago I had a full blown panic attack on a flight to Paris, I was hyperventilating and I literally couldn't move as all my muscles went into spasm. I was suffering with a number of stressful issues at the time, mum was really ill with Cancer, and I think everything got on top of me.

It ruined the time away as the whole time I thought about getting back on a plane to get home, anyway thanks to the brilliant staff on British Airways I did, but I said I would never fly again. Like you I missed out on a number of brilliant experiences, lads weekends away, stag do's, family holidays etc..

Anyway 3 years or so ago I got made redundant as the company I worked for went into administration, desperate for a new job I applied at a company, interview was going brilliantly and at the end they said " we are an international company so air travel is involved I assume that is OK"...... There was a silence when I told them I didn't fly.

Long story short, they offered me the job on the basis that I overcame my fear of flying, I went to see a hypnotherapist they recommended and met the cost of the course. I went to see the guy and he was brilliant, it was a mix of understanding the psychology of fear. coping techniques and hypnotherapy.

I flew to Edinburgh as a practice flight soon after and after initial worries once we got took off I was absolutely fine, I've since flown to Dublin, Berlin, Malaga and Portugal, although the last trip did bring back some anxiety as it had been a while since the last flight, but after listening to the CD the hypnotherapist provided I felt calm and relaxed again.

I've had some 'interesting' flights in this time, an emergency landing due to a medical emergency, a call for a doctor on board on another flight and my last flight to Portugal had an aborted landing.....However just booked another trip in February to Hamburg to see Stereophonics.

I used this guy in Hove - https://www.naturaltherapypages.co.uk/therapist/thespencepractice/329, but his website doesn't seem active anymore so he may have stopped his practice.

Apologies for the long response, hope this helps and you can find someone who can solve your problems, personally I don't think drugs are the answer, but my sister swears by them.

Fair play to you, and very much to the company hiring you to do that, very cool

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Personally I enjoy flying in most circumstances, it is the horrible experience in airports at both ends of the journey these days which is soul-destroying.

Never enjoyed my outward chopper flights to the Rigs, happy as a clam on my return flight!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This I find interesting, I'm sure many do it, but the reason airlines won't let you fly if you're too drunk is because if an emergency situation requiring e.g. an evacuation arose, you'd not be in a fit state to partake.

Does Valium render you incapacitated in a similar way to being drunk? Maybe it renders you sleepy, but does not diminish your thought process - or maybe it does?

Honest question, what's the difference between being out-of-it drunk or out-of-it on Valium from a safe to fly perspective?

It's possible to wake someone on valium and they can be very alert in seconds if required. I suppose the best comparison is Piriton - I wouldn't let someone on it drive but they don't get unconscious like drunk people.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was told the other day that the only reason the brace position is pointed out as part of the emergency briefing is that it is less likely that you'll be decapitated and therefore makes the clear up crew's job of identifying the bodies easier (sorry OP).

And as someone that used to work at the CAA SRG I can confirm that is the reason for the brace position. It's unlikely to save you.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Similar to the reason window blinds have to be up on take-off and landing. Purely so that in the event of a crash, the rescue team can see into the plane.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And as someone that used to work at the CAA SRG I can confirm that is the reason for the brace position. It's unlikely to save you.

The RAF used to tell us it was so you could kiss your ass goodbye!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When I was younger I couldn't get enough turbulence on a plane on my first flight to Canada. I was a little bit more concerned about the turbulence on later flights but still okay.

I haven't had to fly for ages and if I really had to I would, but not really keen on the idea especially with this bug in the Boeing 737 not being resolved before it was rolled out.

They say it's the safest form of travel which sounded fair with the first series of " Air crash Investigation" but now we are on season 20.

I have much less trust in helicopters though. Light aircraft and helicopters tend to take the rich and famous out.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My tip IS NEVER try to suppress the fear with alcohol, I saw a woman on a flight who had to deal with massive fear of flying and being p1ssed

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All the best to the OP ..I don’t/won’t fly..take the tube etc ...again totally irrational fear of not being able to get out ..I mean who would want to when you are 30k feet up ...I think if I flew the thing I’d have something to concentrate on ..lots of good ideas people have posted ..hope it works out for you

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wasn't bothered at all by flying until I started flying to Leeds Bradford, the plane gets battered all over the place every time.

On the way back from Greece a couple of months back I made the mistake of asking the pilot why it's always so bad - apparently it's not just the cross wind, the exposure, and the fact that it's the highest runway in the UK but also it's got such a slope on it that they have to make sure they hit the flat bit right at the start.:ohmy:

Probably not one for the OP to watch:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here