Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fear of flying

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’ve never been a particularly anxious person, but I’ve completely lost my nerve when it comes to flying. I’m fully aware of the safety stats and read up on how a plane stays in the air and all that stuff, so I know the fear that’s left is irrational, but I just can’t shake it.

It has meant missing out on a trip I would’ve really enjoyed this weekend, and also previously meant having to drive a ludicrously long way for a family wedding rather than a fairly short flight.

Any advice or tips from people who have struggled with flight anxiety?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've heard good things about hypnotherapy for this even from people who would not normally hold any truck with 'that sort of thing'.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
I was in exactly the same position. It got to the point where I took a flight to Switzerland and had to come back on the train/Eurostar. The problem grew and I then became frightened of the fear of flying, if that makes sense. I would do absolutely anything to avoid flying, missing out on holidays and seeing family. Luckily I now have a solution that works for me after seeing my GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I've heard good things about hypnotherapy for this even from people who would not normally hold any truck with 'that sort of thing'.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Yep, my sister was very similar to the OP and had hypnotherapy and the change was truly remarkable. She's jetting off with no nerves all the time now. This was a while ago but the hypnotherapist wouldn't take any payment until she got to her destination and sent him a postcard!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have a fear of flying that manifests itself during turbulence, however slight, but I have a tapping technique that overcomes it. I always manage to get on the plane though, so can't really help with that. Easyjet course sounds good

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was in exactly the same position. It got to the point where I took a flight to Switzerland and had to come back on the train/Eurostar. The problem grew and I then became frightened of the fear of flying, if that makes sense. I would do absolutely anything to avoid flying, missing out on holidays and seeing family. Luckily I now have a solution that works for me after seeing my GP.

It’s exactly this. It’s fear of the fear. Anticipatory anxiety that’s just builds and builds. It’s horrible.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Valium.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’ve never been a particularly anxious person, but I’ve completely lost my nerve when it comes to flying. I’m fully aware of the safety stats and read up on how a plane stays in the air and all that stuff, so I know the fear that’s left is irrational, but I just can’t shake it.

It has meant missing out on a trip I would’ve really enjoyed this weekend, and also previously meant having to drive a ludicrously long way for a family wedding rather than a fairly short flight.

Any advice or tips from people who have struggled with flight anxiety?

Mrs W is exactly the same. She flew for years quite happily ( ex-husband worked for BA so lots of cheap flights ). Then all of a sudden she couldn't travel on transport that she couldn't get out of - aircraft being a perfect example. Went to therapy but that didn't help. Last year she got a job that meant she would have to fly and so went to her doctor. Now she just takes Valium given to her by her doctor. Knocks her out for the flight and can leave her a little drowsy the other end for a couple of hours but it's extended where we can travel completely. I'd suggest going to your doctor - just as long as you don't need to do too many flights, because Valium is addictive, then your doctor should give you some. We do about three return flights a year and Mrs W's doctor is still happy to give it. Be warned though - it makes you dribble !!!!

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
It’s exactly this. It’s fear of the fear. Anticipatory anxiety that’s just builds and builds. It’s horrible.

Yes. It started to go into months of anxiety for me that built and built. No matter how logically you look at it, nothing eases it and every time it becomes worse. I then also became anxious about the return flight weeks before actually getting the flight out. So even if I did make the outward flight I could never enjoy any trip.

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
Diazepam works a treat for me. I know that I won’t be anxious at all on the flight so the fear of the fear is taken away. I don’t normally condone a chemical solution, but in this case it has changed things so drastically, it has been life changing for me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a fear of flying that manifests itself during turbulence, however slight,

Same but take off is always stressful for me too. Bizarrely I have no fear on landing however bumpy the approach is, probably because I know the flight is almost over.

Any turbulence has me shutting my book, stopping eating and turning off my ipod or the film I am watching, like it’s going to make a difference :rolleyes:

I avoided flying for at least 10 years before I bit the bullet again, I still don’t enjoy it at all though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The very first time I flew, when I was 12, I found the experience horrible, panicked a bit, and dreaded the flight back. I didn’t fly again until I was 21. This was partly avoidance but also it was the era, when things like interailing were what you did. But, as a student I wanted to join a friend on a backpacking trip to the US, where we would fly everywhere. I did some research and found a book which helped me. Where the book really excelled was explaining all the sounds and feelings you will, and might, experience.

The one that stood out was the plane uses full thrust to take off but the engines cut to a lot less when the plane reaches altitude ie hearing the engines go quiet and feeling the plane drop a little is expected and doesn’t mean there’s an issue. This new found understanding, plus a handful of flights to build up some experience and further understanding helped, I’m now fine and fly regularly.

I still have the book, but sadly it’s in storage in the U.K. If/when I get it I will lend it to you. I have also heard very good things about the EasyJet course which others have mentioned.

Good luck.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes. I go to my GP before I fly, and I'm prescribed just enough to cover the flights out and back.
People who are scared of the dentist or have needle phobia can also be prescribed it.

It isn't logical but then what fear is?

Always had minor paranoia, and still struggle a lot during bouts of turbulence, and boy I’ve been through some bad ones including massive drops, and also abortive landings. Blissfully just did a 12 hour to Hong Kong and pilot did not have to put on fasten belt sign once during flight which is a first for me

I mostly get quite drunk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My best mate wont fly. As couples we go away for weekend breaks, but always in the UK. A trip to Dublin (not in UK) cost me a fortune with overnight in England and ferry. About £500 for 4 where as Ryan Air would have been £160. He went on the flying course and got as far as the plane door but couldn't get on the plane. He's 70 and misses out on so much.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I've never flown unless I've had to for work.

But I don't have a fear of flying. I have a fear of crashing.

Totally illogical I know. More likely to get knocked down by a bus. But I can't shake it off and I'm not likely to now. Hope you can find a way to overcome your fears though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here