Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nhs,A and E and waiting lists.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Maybe i have been lucky but this summer two eye surgery and nose op,s both as an out patient simply very good,so what's going wrong ? Yes mine were at Stafford the one that had major issues a few years ago,yet spotless,clean,modern and bloody good staff. Please,keep politics out of it (yes i know its hard) but is front line A and E always the answer unless it,s a matter of life and death ? Away you go.:wave:

D

Deleted member 2719

My recent experiences are the NHS are better than they have ever been for efficiency and quality.

I am sure someone will come on and say I had a 20-hour wait for a split toenail.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Most people experience great service because NHS staff do an incredible job, even though they are under huge amounts of pressure

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Been to A&E twice last year, both times was seen within 30mins. One of them I should've really gone to the doctor but they're not open on Sunday morning, difficult to know what to do in that situation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I say that having spent a few hours last weekend with a friend of mine's son - who is an A&E Doctor.

He says at least 30% of the people he sees could go to their GP instead of A & E.

Equally, there are a lot of people suffering with mental health issues who are not getting the support they need and are going to A&E in desperation or because they have self medicated and injured themselves.

I have a friend who is a mental health nurse and she was unable to approve of someone being sectioned for their own protection as there were no secure beds within a 100 odd miles, she was told by her senior that she could not accept this poor woman and my friend spent most of the weekend praying she would come not back to work on Monday finding she had self harmed or worse.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My wife's recent experience of the Royal Sussex A&E when taking her father there on several occasions this year is not great. Very long waiting times, left in a corridor waiting to be seen, having to find someone to assist when he needed to relieve himself, and the visits were not on busy Friday/Saturday nights.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
And therein lies the problem - people using A&E instead of going to the doctors.

Although this could be due to the difficulty in obtaining a doctors appointment, and when ringing the NHS Helpline for guidance, being told to go to A&E.
Maybe if there wasn't a large shortfall in Doctors, people could see them rather than going to A&E on the advice of the NHS helpline

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Although this could be due to the difficulty in obtaining a doctors appointment, and when ringing the NHS Helpline for guidance, being told to go to A&E.
Maybe if there wasn't a large shortfall in Doctors, people could see them rather than going to A&E on the advice of the NHS helpline

I`d guess at least 25% seeing Doctors should go to chemist and look after themselves.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I say that having spent a few hours last weekend with a friend of mine's son - who is an A&E Doctor.

He says at least 30% of the people he sees could go to their GP instead of A & E.

My GP sent me to A&E on an urgent request for a blood test as the potassium levels in my previous one were borderline. Rather unimpressed A&E Staff and another GP who ranted about his colleague for 2 minutes on what was just badly taken blood. It works both ways - if you get a phone call telling you to go to A&E within 24 hours because there is a risk you might be about to have a heart attack, you go. And wait 4 hours in my case. Not my fault my GP overreacted and wasted their time

Also phoned my GP the second they opened one day for an urgent appointment and got through at 8:30 - at which point they had all gone. The wait for an appointment that isn't same day is 2-3 weeks. You either start queuing at 7:50 outside the surgery or you don't get seen. Whilst there are people that waste A&Es time, some people won't have an alternative.

As for hospital appointments, had two urgent referrals within the last couple of years that were done and dusted inside a month with the two week target just about met. But my knee operation took 2 years with every step taking 6 months - Consultant - Scan - Consultant - Op. And even then they had to open Bexhill Hospital on a Saturday to meet the 6 month target.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yep - 111 are completely useless. Phoned them for my girlfriend's mum who was having chest pain after a long standing cough and the Doctor phoned back (me, not her because we used my phone and they screwed up the numbers) at 3am, 6 hours after the first phone call. Turned out to be a cracked rib but no way the nurse knew that and the doctor was just too busy. I also phoned them at 5am a few months ago when my girlfriend was in agony with stomach pains and the Doctor phoned back at 7:15 - just to say to go to your own GP. Their only purpose is to phone an ambulance if you talk about symptoms of a heart attack/stroke.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Also phoned my GP the second they opened one day for an urgent appointment and got through at 8:30 - at which point they had all gone. The wait for an appointment that isn't same day is 2-3 weeks. You either start queuing at 7:50 outside the surgery or you don't get seen.

Bloody hell thats dreadful. Our practice offers an, admittedly senior nurse led, walk in service from 8:30am Monday to Friday and if your issue means it’s beyond their remit they will bring one straight out to see you. If you actually need to see a doctor you just phone up and request a call from your doctor. They call you back and, after discussing your issue, if you need to see a doctor you will get an appointment that afternoon. The only proviso is, if it’s a same day appointment, it won’t necessarily be your personal doctor who will see you.

I never realised we had it so good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Simple enough to officially split A&E into A and E shirley, via a bit of triage gatekeeping. E go tothe front, timewaating A's can waste mainly their own time. They'll soon get the message.

they do triage the A and E, the trouble is those that are neither. the GP end isnt fit for purpose and inadeqacies get pushed elsewhere in the system. need to reverse the opt out of evening and weekends work, but cant politically or economically.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Simple enough to officially split A&E into A and E shirley, via a bit of triage gatekeeping. E go tothe front, timewaating A's can waste mainly their own time. They'll soon get the message.

Agreed. The whole thing needs re-prioritising imo. 2.2m visits to A&E in 1 month . That's 1 in 30 people in the country in 1 month. 500,000 emergency hospital admissions in the same month. That is unsustainable no matter how much money is chucked at it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
they do triage the A and E, the trouble is those that are neither. the GP end isnt fit for purpose and inadeqacies get pushed elsewhere in the system. need to reverse the opt out of evening and weekends work, but cant politically or economically.

At the very least the half dozen pissed up scum who invariably turn up to A&E with the wanker with the cut hand or bloody nose after closing time shouldn't be given the time of day. Tell them to **** off or charge them with Wasting Emergency Services time. If that's not an actual thing then it certainly should be. IMHO like.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
To ease strain on A&E there should be more services like the walk-in medical centre by Brighton station that's open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week and you go and wait to see a Dr. That and minor injuries units where you can see a nurse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here