Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] I've gone a bit vegan

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Was the Burger King one the one they got in trouble for because they cooked it in animal fat and thus negated the point?

Yep. I think they said they weren't making it specifically for vegans but for people who were cutting down so it didn't matter.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I noted there's been a vegan-frenzy in the fast food world over the past couple of weeks...

KFC vegan burger - https://www.kfc.co.uk/our-food/for-one/burgers/vegan-burger
Greggs vegan steak bake - https://www.greggs.co.uk/bakes/vegan-steak-bake
Burger King Rebel Whopper - https://www.burgerking.co.uk/menu-item/rebel-whopper (interesting they are using a different patty to that used in the US)
Subway meatless meatball marinara melt - https://www.subway.com/en-GB/MenuNutrition/Menu/Product?ProductId=7558&MenuCategoryId=760

Anyone sampled any of these yet?

Vegetarian doner? If I saw one of these and didn't have 6 pints inside me, I might go for it...

shawarma-time.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was the Burger King one the one they got in trouble for because they cooked it in animal fat and thus negated the point?

Yes and no.

BK have never claimed it to be vegan because it is cooked on the same griddle as regular burgers and, as such, there would be come cross-contamination of meat fats. The same is true of the Impossible Whopper in the US. BK have been open about this from the outset.

As such, if you are a true vegan or veggie, it may not be for you but for those looking to cut down on meat, it should be a decent alternative and reviews suggest you may not know, if you didn't know.

It's true it has made the news, but that seems a little unfair on BK who have never tried to hide the cooking process. I guess it comes down to how kitchens are already configured - hopefully in time they do find a way to cook them away from the meat.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If I remember rightly it was cooked on the same grill, so would get contaminated by animal fats.

My daughter has been vegan for the last 6 months and my son veggie 5 days a week for a few years. As my daughter has moved back home for a bit, we are now eating a couple of vegan meals a week.

How things have changed from when I was mainly veggie for a number of years (1976-84). There is so much more choice but a lot of it is junk and fast food. I still find that I have to think and plan about what i am preparing on the vegan days to avoid 'vegan bacon', 'vegan ham' and even 'vegan crispy aromatic duck' :eek:

*edit* Great minds

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If I remember rightly it was cooked on the same grill, so would get contaminated by animal fats.

My daughter has been vegan for the last 6 months and my son veggie 5 days a week for a few years. As my daughter has moved back home for a bit, we are now eating a couple of vegan meals a week.

How things have changed from when I was mainly veggie for a number of years (1976-84). There is so much more choice but a lot of it is junk and fast food. I still find that I have to think and plan about what i am preparing on the vegan days to avoid 'vegan bacon', 'vegan ham' and even 'vegan crispy aromatic duck' :eek:

*edit* Great minds

Yep. Wrapped in plastic, jazzed up by the marketing men and shipped twice around the world. A colleague recently asked where he could buy vegan food. What's wrong with fruit, veg, beans and grains?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I can't recall the brand, but Tesco have plant-based kebab "meat" in the veggie chilled section.

the Hope and Ruin in Brighton have a great vegan kebab (made from Seitan)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
the Hope and Ruin in Brighton have a great vegan kebab (made from Seitan)

I had similar when Vbab (http://vbab.co.uk) were resident at Worthing's Wine & Reason. Really took me back the best part of 30 years!

Apparently seitan is pretty easy to make yourself - I'm going to give it a go.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I totally understand anyone who doesn’t eat meat or dairy or all the other things Veganism involves because of the moral animal rights issues but I struggle with the environmental argument a little.

On a side note we are having slow cooked belly pork tonight.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I totally understand anyone who doesn’t eat meat or dairy or all the other things Veganism involves because of the moral animal rights issues but I struggle with the environmental argument a little.

On a side note we are having slow cooked belly pork tonight.

what aspect of the environmental argument are you struggling with?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm currently eating Lentil Dahl vegan soup from Co-op, this is one of my favourites along with Moroccan Vegetable Tangine.

I've swapped my lunchtime meat/fish-based sandwich and chicken bites for vegetarian soup and a baguette, and I've managed to stay germ-free since I made the switch in the autumn.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Since November, the only meat I've eaten is a sirloin steak at the salt room on new years eve and that was coz they were out of lobster

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here