Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] I've gone a bit vegan

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
So, my brother went vegan a few months ago, and lost about 2 stone in a flash. I thought, maybe i could return to that lifestyle too, after being it for a while in my teens. The problem i am having, though, is that i am perhaps going about it in a different/wrong way. Having a Vegan Magnum constantly near me, and then in me, isn't enabling me to mirror his results. So a crisps, Hellmans Vegan Mayonnaise and dairy free chocolate ice cream on a stick diet can't be classed as a great achievement.
I think i need to get on with making some nice meals again, but within 25 minutes and easy to form, after making the little one his dindins as soon as i am in from work.
Any suggestions?

Ta

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
My suggestion would be don't go totally vegan. Too much too quickly. Reduce your meat content, and ease back on dairy but don't go all in. That's what I have done.

I guess it also depends why you are doing it? Is it for your health? The environment? Animal Cruelty?

I'd say I am edging towards it, but would find it difficult to go all in. To be a vegetarian is probably achievable for me, but I am not there yet.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I know it is very popular to be a vegan for health reasons, and I have to admit that the people I know who are vegans look very good on it. The bit I don't get is giving up eating fish. I was always told that fish was very healthy. I totally understand not eating fish if you are against eating animals, just not for health reasons.

Can anyone tell me why?

May as well eat this.

81aRMG-xayL._SX342_.jpg

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
If you are thinking about moving to a plant based diet (I try not to use the word Vegan as it suggests a load of shouty "holier than thou", extremists) I can recommend the Game Changers movie - https://gamechangersmovie.com/ to see how a plant based diet can improve performance on the sports field and in the bedroom!
I have discovered some pretty decent plant based "cheeses" and I have been surpised how many plant based "ready made" products are now available in supermarkets. I still like to eat meat and dairy, but the amount I eat is declining although I suspect I will never give it up completely, and it has been surprisingly easy to find tasty plant based alternatives to what was my normal diet.
I expect that there will be a huge explosion of plant based products available over the next few years as ordinary people realise how tasty and healthy plant based food can be.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Here is an ode to a lump of green putty I found under my armpit one midsummers evening

I’ve gone a bit Vogan

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I've gone a bit vegan too. No meat whatsoever with my cereal this morning. Will be a lot less vegan (i.e. not) with my dinner tonight though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well you're talking about it without being asked, so I guess you're very much on the right track. :lolol: :kiss:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Veganism ****s me right off, and I say that as vegetarian of over 25 years.

Because of the environmental awareness about meat consumption now, many places are now offering a lot more "plant-based" options, which is good. My problem comes in that this often means there are no vegetarian offerings, presumably due to the assumption that veggies will be happy with vegan stuff. Whilst I broadly am, if I have, say, a burger, I want proper cheese on it not weirdo vegan non-cheese.*

Frankly with seemingly everyone going veggie or vegan now, I may revert to eating meat just to be different to everyone else.

( * - maybe vegan cheese is passable now, but it certainly wasn't when I last tried it a few years back)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Because of the environmental awareness about meat consumption now, many places are now offering a lot more "plant-based" options, which is good. My problem comes in that this often means there are no vegetarian offerings, presumably due to the presumption that veggies will be happy with vegan stuff. Whilst I broadly am, if I have, say, a burger, I want proper cheese on it not weirdo vegan non-cheese.*

Franly with seemingly everyone going veggie or vegan now, I may revert to eating meat just to be different to everyone else.

( * - maybe vegan cheese is passable now, but it certainly wasn't when I last tried it a few years back)

I thought you might've been a flexitarian kinda guy :D

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

Because of the environmental awareness about meat consumption now, many places are now offering a lot more "plant-based" options, which is good. My problem comes in that this often means there are no vegetarian offerings, presumably due to the presumption that veggies will be happy with vegan stuff. Whilst I broadly am, if I have, say, a burger, I want proper cheese on it not weirdo vegan non-cheese.*

Franly with seemingly everyone going veggie or vegan now, I may revert to eating meat just to be different to everyone else.

This, though I'd never go back to eating meat. Can't stand the smell, sight or, presumably, the taste, though it's been so long 28+ years, I can barely remember what it tastes like now.

As for easy vegan meals, our staple is quorn chilli/bolognaise - very similar, can knock it up in 15 mins then you can leave it slowly cooking on the hob whilst you pour a beer.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Turned 31 last Saturday, seeing how long I can go without eating meat

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My suggestion would be don't go totally vegan. Too much too quickly. Reduce your meat content, and ease back on dairy but don't go all in. That's what I have done.

I guess it also depends why you are doing it? Is it for your health? The environment? Animal Cruelty?

I'd say I am edging towards it, but would find it difficult to go all in. To be a vegetarian is probably achievable for me, but I am not there yet.

Agreed this is the best approach.
I don't think I could go totally vegan but have dramatically cut back on meat.
We are using up meat in the freezer and looking to use quorn or similar but here there isn't much choice of meat replacements,just prepared ready meals using quorn or Linda McCartney products which are really expensive.

I have stopped drinking alcohol 3 days a week and will increase this by a day at a time over the next few months but not sure if I want to stop all together. Thinking of going for quality over quantity and having maybe 2 bottles of nice wine per week. (Cue some clever so and so editing to per day :))
Was originally motivated by climate and cruelty regards to animals and weight with alcohol.
Now, since a recent blood test, have 6 months to get my glucose levels down or face the risk on diabetes medication.
I have lost 16 kilos in the last few years and now I have retired am getting more exercise so here's hoping.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

Because of the environmental awareness about meat consumption now, many places are now offering a lot more "plant-based" options, which is good. My problem comes in that this often means there are no vegetarian offerings, presumably due to the assumption that veggies will be happy with vegan stuff. Whilst I broadly am, if I have, say, a burger, I want proper cheese on it not weirdo vegan non-cheese.*

Frankly with seemingly everyone going veggie or vegan now, I may revert to eating meat just to be different to everyone else.

I concur. I once spent an interesting hour with a vegan activist, who did vigils at slaughterhouses etc. I tried to argue that for the environment I could completely get on board with not eating red meat, but what was the issue with milk/dairy if the cows are looked after. I got a very detailed description about how the milk contains all sorts of blood, how the calves are ripped away from their mother etc.

But fundamentally I like cheese. I like a glass of milk, and I see no reason why we can't still have those and have happy cows. But I agree with Bozza that the way restaurants are now approaching this is to have a "normal" menu and then a vegan menu, which therefore excludes the ability to vegetarian meal that is a bit more tasty. The burger is a good example of this with the cheese difference, but also excluding dairy from anything makes a lot dishes taste very different.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here