Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Beard Management

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As I approach my Late 50's I'm thinking about all the things I'd like to do and haven't, no not Holly Willoughby, things like growing a beard.

So I've started this process and realised that shaving under the chin, neck, is preferable but my chin still itches occasionally and I have a need to release ingrowing hairs. I don't intend to go full on hipster but would like this experiment to continue for another month or so .... my question is does the beard get to a length that the hairs stop ingrowing or is this the price you pay for not shaving or is there some magical hipster grooming method I'm unaware of?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As I approach my Late 50's I'm thinking about all the things I'd like to do and haven't, no not Holly Willoughby, things like growing a beard.

So I've started this process and realised that shaving under the chin, neck, is preferable but my chin still itches occasionally and I have a need to release ingrowing hairs. I don't intend to go full on hipster but would like this experiment to continue for another month or so .... my question is does the beard get to a length that the hairs stop ingrowing or is this the price you pay for not shaving or is there some magical hipster grooming method I'm unaware of?

If I were you, I would stick to fantasising about Holly!:love:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You should only get ingrowing hairs in the bits you shave. If they develop in the areas you aren't shaving, it sounds like growing a beard isn't for you.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You should only get ingrowing hairs in the bits you shave. If they develop in the areas you aren't shaving, it sounds like growing a beard isn't for you.

I feared that, but maybe it's too early to tell yet as it's only ten days old?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I feared that, but maybe it's too early to tell yet as it's only ten days old?

Much too early to tell. Give it a month.

I found that growing a long beard causes itching and so keep mine at a short length (2-4 mm).

Also don't fiddle with it. Nothing more irritating that watching a bloke stroking his beard like the family cat :lolol:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
You shouldn’t need to wet shave, any beard or stubble can be maintained with a clipper set. The last time I picked up a wet razor was in the 1990s. On a grade zero with no clipper guard you can get pretty close to a ‘clean’ shave, which should be fine for the neck.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've only grown a beard a few times and, by way of coincidence, I am now, using the excuse of "winter beard, innit".

I don't recall ever having an ingrowing hair at any stage.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I have dabbled with a beard but am plagued with redness, itching and flaky skin. This skin problem goes away when I go back to shaving daily. The beard has stayed on for several months before I give in and get rid of it.

Anybody had a similar experience and managed to sort it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

A razor hasn't touched my face in over 10 years Tim! :D

Use a beard trimmer / clippers to do you're neck, don't see the point in having a beard then still shaving. Decent brush as well should keep the in growing hairs at bay. Good bit of brushing against the grain then back again. If you're doing your hair, shampoo and condition your beard too, and a bit of beard oil doesn't go amiss. I pluck any hairs above where my notional cheek line is. Beard does get to a length where it is completely no bother, and the only real issue I have is a fried egg sandwich, it's really no yolk getting that stuff out! :wink:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I have dabbled with a beard but am plagued with redness, itching and flaky skin. This skin problem goes away when I go back to shaving daily. The beard has stayed on for several months before I give in and get rid of it.

Anybody had a similar experience and managed to sort it?

I have a full beard and get dry skin under my moustache all the time. Usually I have to shave everything off and treat the skin but I'm trying something new this time.

Daily routine:
- Brush beard and 'stache before shower (this should loosen up any dry skin)
- Wash beard and 'stache in shower with either just water or gentle beard shampoo. Usually just water because beard shampoo is pricey.
- After shower brush again
- Massage in some beard oil
- Finish with a beard balm

Been doing that for a few weeks and have definitely noticed a difference in my skin. It was a bit of a faff to start with but is just part of my day now.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I have a full beard and get dry skin under my moustache all the time. Usually I have to shave everything off and treat the skin but I'm trying something new this time.

Daily routine:
- Brush beard and 'stache before shower (this should loosen up any dry skin)
- Wash beard and 'stache in shower with either just water or gentle beard shampoo. Usually just water because beard shampoo is pricey.
- After shower brush again
- Massage in some beard oil
- Finish with a beard balm

Been doing that for a few weeks and have definitely noticed a difference in my skin. It was a bit of a faff to start with but is just part of my day now.

Will give this a go next time I grow one. Might be a faff, but less of a faff than wet shaving every day I think.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Why not grow a beard and fantasize about Holly Willoughby's downstairs Brian Blessed look ???

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Beards,such an out-dated look.OK if you've got no chin or a nasty fungal infection to hide,otherwise use one of these!

old hat.png

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why not grow a beard and fantasize about Holly Willoughby's downstairs Brian Blessed look ???

I'm ahead of you there .... on the HW aspect!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The first month is the most painful. I keep mine fairly trimmed back but quite often I just let it do it's own thing and that is the most comfortable. I do suffer from the odd in growing hair but only where i shave it back too much under the chin.

However it can look too messy if left too much on the neck so I am currently in the battle with myself whether to keep shaving the neck/throat or just accept it as it is.

But overall I am much happier with a beard because It saves the effort and pain in the morning. Suits me as I am very lazy and not a morning person at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here