Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Where can I get a decent satsuma?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I lied.

I saw this pic floating around online and thought I'd share it with the class. I don't even have a cat.

If you have ever had a satsuma I think we can let this one go...

cat1.jpg

I put one on my cat this morning, and made it look like an egg.

Post of the decade :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I lied.

I saw this pic floating around online and thought I'd share it with the class. I don't even have a cat.

Yes you did, that isn't a Satsuma it's a Clementine or a small Orange.
It's too Orange and shiny to be a Satsuma. A Satsuma would never be used as a feux egg yolk, whereas your Clementine is a dead ringer.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The small hard skinned ones are actually clementines and the easier to peel larger ones are satsumas. Supermarkets, especially, often mix them up.

That’s not necessarily always correct. Owari Satsumas are one of the smaller varieties which have a hard skin, unlike your Brown’s Select, Louisiana Early and Early St. Ann Satsumas which are easier to peel. The Armstrong Early is generally the variety that has loose, puffy skin and often tastes of nothing.

These days most supermarkets get round all this by describing whatever they are selling as ‘easy peelers’ or the like, saving themselves from specifying if it’s a clementine, satsuma, mandarin or a tangerine. The only exception is round Christmas when satsumas will be labelled as such as that’s what people expect. It’s bloody annoying as they taste completely different but you don’t know what your actually buying.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Plenty of mandarins here, including a tree full of them in my garden. Try to find mandarin rather than satsuma which now only sell to the UK market. Mandarins have easy peel skin and much more flavour.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Maybe the EU could cut a deal with China and export them to China where they can be re-packaged as a non EU product then exported to us as " Chinese " ? That will please our swivel eyed Brexit loons ?

Or we could smuggle then in from Northern Ireland. Any satsuma runners out there?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Or we could smuggle then in from Northern Ireland. Any satsuma runners out there?

There could be problems with the NI locals though, dealing in black market Satsumas may be viewed as heresy by the Orange Order ?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
When it’s a Citrus unshiu rather than a Citrus reticulata or a Citrus tangerina. :)

This is a question I have asked myself for many years, but never been bothered to research/get an answer. On seeing this question, I gleefully scrolled down to find this answer. I'm with Thunderbolt - show off. I am still none the wiser, although now more inspired to find the answer, although in the time it has taken me to reply to this thread, my curiosity could probably been answered. NSC seems to waste too much of my life:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here