Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Where can I get a decent satsuma?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Now that we’re entering satsuma season again, which supermarket sells the best? Despite a promising start last week in my local Sainsbury’s, when I went to get top up supplies today I unfortunately found they had reverted to type and were selling their usual very measly, hard skinned specimens. It’s important, I need some good advice, please.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Now that we’re entering satsuma season again, which supermarket sells the best? Despite a promising start last week in my local Sainsbury’s, when I went to get top up supplies today I unfortunately found they had reverted to type and were selling their usual very measly, hard skinned specimens. It’s important, I need some good advice, please.

Not being funny, have you tried your local greengrocers.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Not being funny, have you tried your local greengrocers.

I could, but my local greengrocers is no more local than my local supermarket, so if you wouldn’t mind, I specifically want to know which is the best supermarket for satsumas.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It’s an absolute lottery in my experience. Bought some from Sainsburys a couple of weeks ago and they were superb. The last lot I bought though were completely devoid of flavour. I tend to find that the bigger they are, the more watery and tasteless. Too small though and they are often unpleasantly bitter.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
cat1.jpg

I put one on my cat this morning, and made it look like an egg.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

The small hard skinned ones are actually clementines and the easier to peel larger ones are satsumas. Supermarkets, especially, often mix them up.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
The small hard skinned ones are actually clementines and the easier to peel larger ones are satsumas. Supermarkets, especially, often mix them up.

I’m not sure, I do think they were just a poor quality satsuma. Sainsbury’s tend to offer either these, or towards the end of satsuma season, those enormous ones with an inch of air between skin and flesh, sometimes with a tinge of green, furry decoration.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I think you are right.
I love a Satsuma, I have had good and bad ones but never hard skinned, they are always soft and easy to peel.
It's the flavour that's the problem sometimes they have no flavour at all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think you are right.
I love a Satsuma, I have had good and bad ones but never hard skinned, they are always soft and easy to peel.
It's the flavour that's the problem sometimes they have no flavour at all.

Easy to buy a bag of alleged " Juicy " Satsuma's/Clementines and then find they are, dry, flavourless and " Wooly " as my old ma would say. Mind you, once we are out of the EU we can source the very best Satsuma's around... other than EU ones of course.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Easy to buy a bag of alleged " Juicy " Satsuma's/Clementines and then find they are, dry, flavourless and " Wooly " as my old ma would say. Mind you, once we are out of the EU we can source the very best Satsuma's around... other than EU ones of course.

If we are talking ‘top satsuma’ here then we had better get our Chinese friends new trading deals sorted, now that we are untethered and free to rule the world yet again as traders and explorers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If we are talking ‘top satsuma’ here then we had better get our Chinese friends new trading deals sorted, now that we are untethered and free to rule the world yet again as traders and explorers.

Maybe the EU could cut a deal with China and export them to China where they can be re-packaged as a non EU product then exported to us as " Chinese " ? That will please our swivel eyed Brexit loons ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here