Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The New Brighton Station taxi rank

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As a buswanker and London commuter, I love it. The number 7 from the station doesn't have to contend with taxi's causing mayhem in front of the station any more :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
May everything be as simple in the real world. If we can improve the transport situation that would be great.

Better designed buses, ie, ones with entrance and exit doors, or longer ones like the 25 buses, needn't be hard to get around. The improvements I suggested, and I'm sure there are others, require relatively little money, disruption or political will, well not compared to ripping up the entire town centre to install a tram system anyway. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see it. I'd be amazed if it happens in my lifetime though,

It’s so simple that tens, if not hundreds, of cities across mainland Europe (which is very much in the real world) somehow manage it. Plenty have been retrofitted as well. There’s even some cities in the U.K. which have trams.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s so simple that tens, if not hundreds, of cities across mainland Europe (which is very much in the real world) somehow manage it. Plenty have been retrofitted as well. There’s even some cities in the U.K. which have trams.

Sheffield has a tram system but it caused complete mayhem & chaos whilst it was being built.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
other than kerbside pollution, what problem does trams solve that buses do not? or another way, arent electric buses (ideal use for electric vehicle) preferable to trams?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
other than kerbside pollution, what problem does trams solve that buses do not? or another way, arent electric buses (ideal use for electric vehicle) preferable to trams?

If you Google trams versus buses there’s plenty of stuff out there. My preference comes from empirical personal evidence. I have used trams across the world and standing at Churchill Square, or the bottom of North Steet, at a busy time with buses queuing up, swinging in and out, not stopping at the correct stop because it’s blocked by numerous other buses, the chaos of people getting on and off one door, up and down stairs, the difference could not be more stark. In short it’s carnage, it’s chaos. Trams are much better for short urban hops.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
other than kerbside pollution, what problem does trams solve that buses do not? or another way, aren't electric buses (ideal use for electric vehicle) preferable to trams?

I'd like to see trams, but I'd prefer some 100 foot high maglev train system running between Brunswick Square to St Peters Church ..... but seriously .....

I don't think the arguments for trams over buses are that strong. There are some positives, but the cost and controversy of getting such a system installed are prohibitive and need there to be strong economies of scale to get the money back, as may exist in Edinburgh, Sheffield and Manchester, but are less likely to in Brighton.

The criticisms of the current city transport strategy are valid, but are an order of magnitude easier and cheaper to solve by improving buses and routes than they are by installing a tram system.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1194954482557374465[/tweet]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All this talk of Trams is hot air, as a city we can’t even build an ice arena at Black Rock ffs.

A very fair point. How’s the King Alfred these days?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Having read the Argus comments section on the Valley Gardens work, my main reason for wanting to see a tram system installed is to see the splenetic tantrums of the over-entitled boomers in future articles. Hopefully enough will keel over to keep the Tories out of Brighton and Hove for generations

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Trams generally have a wider appeal than buses so they can be more effective at encouraging modal change from cars to public transport. There are a lot of people who'd never ever contemplate getting a bus, who'd happily switch to trams.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
As a buswanker and London commuter, I love it. The number 7 from the station doesn't have to contend with taxi's causing mayhem in front of the station any more :thumbsup:

Has it made a noticeable difference? I haven't taken a 7 for a while. It used to be a frustrating experience at the station partly down to taxis. I think passengers paying in cash was as big, if not bigger problem. Could easily take 5 minutes to get away. I hope that eventually they will follow London's lead and go cashless. It will really speed up boarding.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Has it made a noticeable difference? I haven't taken a 7 for a while. It used to be a frustrating experience at the station partly down to taxis. I think passengers paying in cash was as big, if not bigger problem. Could easily take 5 minutes to get away. I hope that eventually they will follow London's lead and go cashless. It will really speed up boarding.

All Brighton buses have contactless pay, plus smart cards or pay by phone apps.The number of cash payments are well down and I suspect they will end soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Achieving radical change in mobility can only occur if we are willing to acknowledge the complex system in which it is embedded.

~ scheme from Peter M. Allen (1997).

11111111111.jpg

I agree with the words.

Can someone let me know if I agree with the swirly lines. :lol:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If you Google trams versus buses there’s plenty of stuff out there. My preference comes from empirical personal evidence. I have used trams across the world and standing at Churchill Square, or the bottom of North Steet, at a busy time with buses queuing up, swinging in and out, not stopping at the correct stop because it’s blocked by numerous other buses, the chaos of people getting on and off one door, up and down stairs, the difference could not be more stark. In short it’s carnage, it’s chaos. Trams are much better for short urban hops.

i didnt really find much to explain why they are better, seems how they are used is better. design would solve the door point, congestion is caused by the number of buses and single lane road. given a wider road and priority at junctions (easily done with tech), buses could sail through the central city. they benefit is more flexibility, more routes. multi car trams running down main roads looks a good idea, but overall the bus treated as if a tram would be preferable.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Trams generally have a wider appeal than buses so they can be more effective at encouraging modal change from cars to public transport. There are a lot of people who'd never ever contemplate getting a bus, who'd happily switch to trams.

thats irrational, i wonder if there is any objective evidence, or theory why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here