Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The New Brighton Station taxi rank

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Having read the Argus comments section on the Valley Gardens work, my main reason for wanting to see a tram system installed is to see the splenetic tantrums of the over-entitled boomers in future articles. Hopefully enough will keel over to keep the Tories out of Brighton and Hove for generations

I do hope wishing people dead is sufficient to have you banned - and you think boomers are over-entitled!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I do hope wishing people dead is sufficient to have you banned - and you think boomers are over-entitled!

I'm guessing there's some sort of exemption for the populace of the Argus messageboard. If not ... ah well

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It does seem a little odd that a station wouldn't have the taxi rank at its entrance.

If a passenger wants to get to Hove during rush hour, now it could add another 10 15 mins to the journey.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
3 pages in and no one has mentioned a monorail.

You've let me down NSC, hang your heads in shame.

More on topic I'm glad the taxi rank has moved, having first hand experience of asking taxi drivers to move from the front of the station to allow an ambulance to get on site and being met with resistance means if it inconveniences them in the slightest I'm all for it. It also won't be long before one of them causes an accident on the roundabout on the approach to the station car park either.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I'm guessing there's some sort of exemption for the populace of the Argus messageboard. If not ... ah well

You're in luck. There's a few boomers 'keeled over most weeks according to Argus obituaries and even the Albion in memoriam section in programmes. They seem to be sadly missed by their loved ones, but hey, obviously you'll be happy:clap2:

other than kerbside pollution, what problem does trams solve that buses do not? or another way, arent electric buses (ideal use for electric vehicle) preferable to trams?
Trolley buses are preferable to both; much cheaper to install because no rails or platforms are required, and the storage/charging requirements of 'battery buses' are overcome. I've really no idea why trams are preferred.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Used the new taxi rank for first time yesterday evening. A bit longer walk to the rank from the train but quicker and cheaper for me to get home living to north of city centre.

The taxi driver was not happy about it because it takes longer to get to seafront and says his trade has dropped off. I personally will never use Uber.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The regular daily gridlock around the front of the station caused by Taxis was inconveniencing everyone except the Taxis, they only have themselves to blame for this by being so intransigent and belligerent when asked to move or not clog up the streets. Its a welcome move that will make the buses and general traffic flow better as well as better access and egress for emergency services. Add to that better facilities to be provided at the station and It seems a good solution. There are other ranks and once people realise where the new rank is then it'll soon be forgotten.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Isn't there a happy middle ground here though? Can't they re-design that part of the concourse so that the road from the back of the station feeds through to the front and people can be picked up from the front? And then be dropped off at the front as well, although it would be an arse for the driver to then have to drive down Trafalgar Street and around to the back of the station to join the queue for a pick up. It would resolve their concern about passengers' fees for having to go around the back, it would prevent the clogging up of the whole area with taxis and mean visitors are still getting taxis from the front of the station, or the back if it suits them as they'll be heading the other direction.

The council need to address the traffic lights around the New England Road area generally to ensure that when the traffic does get away, it's not immediately stopped at the next sets of lights. The traffic needs to be able to flow away.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Isn't there a happy middle ground here though? Can't they re-design that part of the concourse so that the road from the back of the station feeds through to the front and people can be picked up from the front? And then be dropped off at the front as well, although it would be an arse for the driver to then have to drive down Trafalgar Street and around to the back of the station to join the queue for a pick up. It would resolve their concern about passengers' fees for having to go around the back, it would prevent the clogging up of the whole area with taxis and mean visitors are still getting taxis from the front of the station, or the back if it suits them as they'll be heading the other direction.

The council need to address the traffic lights around the New England Road area generally to ensure that when the traffic does get away, it's not immediately stopped at the next sets of lights. The traffic needs to be able to flow away.

No.

No they can't.

It would be quite a lot of expense and destruction just to stop taxi drivers moaning even if they could

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Good post. Totally agree

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No.

No they can't.

It would be quite a lot of expense and destruction just to stop taxi drivers moaning even if they could

That's no reason not to do something. If it's better for the taxi using consumer, better for the taxi driver, better for the station and better for the local residents - then it's a reason TO do something. It doesn't matter how expensive it is, it'll be worth doing. Improving the infrastructure of the City isn't going to be cheap and is going to require a lot less, "no they can't" thinking.

No, we CAN. :thumbsup:

Good post. Totally agree

... and [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] agrees! Like this great man, I loved the first Chicken Run film and I can't wait for Chicken Run 2 to drop! :jester:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That's no reason not to do something. If it's better for the taxi using consumer, better for the taxi driver, better for the station and better for the local residents - then it's a reason TO do something. It doesn't matter how expensive it is, it'll be worth doing. Improving the infrastructure of the City isn't going to be cheap and is going to require a lot less, "no they can't" thinking.

No, we CAN. :thumbsup:

... and [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] agrees! Like this great man, I loved the first Chicken Run film and I can't wait for Chicken Run 2 to drop! :jester:

It doesn't matter how expensive it is? Hmmm, I think it does.

Have a look at a map and work out a route. Look at the buildings in the way and the height differences. It's completely implausible

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It doesn't matter how expensive it is? Hmmm, I think it does.

Have a look at a map and work out a route. Look at the buildings in the way and the height differences. It's completely implausible

Buildings can be knocked down. There's plenty of that going on around Brighton at the moment and it's long overdue. It's high time we developed the land there is and drag us into the modern day. There are ways, it's just a question of whether there is enough of a will. If there is, they'll get it done. If not, they won't. Pretty clear.

It also would destroy the concept of a car free front to the station itself which whether you agree with or not was the original point of the move.

And it's a good idea, but it can be changed depending on the needs of the people using it. Inevitably there'll be a re-think in the next 12 months and they'll be doing something else. People in the sort of jobs able to make a decision on how to "improve" the experience need to make changes from time to time to keep themselves awake, and employed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The regular daily gridlock around the front of the station caused by Taxis was inconveniencing everyone except the Taxis, they only have themselves to blame for this by being so intransigent and belligerent when asked to move or not clog up the streets. Its a welcome move that will make the buses and general traffic flow better as well as better access and egress for emergency services. Add to that better facilities to be provided at the station and It seems a good solution. There are other ranks and once people realise where the new rank is then it'll soon be forgotten.

:thumbsup: Quality post.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Buildings can be knocked down. There's plenty of that going on around Brighton at the moment and it's long overdue. It's high time we developed the land there is and drag us into the modern day. There are ways, it's just a question of whether there is enough of a will. If there is, they'll get it done. If not, they won't. Pretty clear.

And it's a good idea, but it can be changed depending on the needs of the people using it. Inevitably there'll be a re-think in the next 12 months and they'll be doing something else. People in the sort of jobs able to make a decision on how to "improve" the experience need to make changes from time to time to keep themselves awake, and employed.

All fair enough mate. I think you've got off pretty lightly on this one as I suspected that one or two posters might have taken stronger issue with your plan to build new roads in the town centre.

If it was sim city, I'd probably be doing it as well

I will say though, you might get a raised eyebrow or two from anyone who works in the city planning office on the idea that they would need to think up new ideas to keep themselves in a job. No shortage of work there as I understand it

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
There is still plenty of room at the back of the station for a well designed taxi rank, passenger drop off, disabled parking and long term station parking. The poorly designed two level car park should be replaced with a Hayward’s Heath station type car park. Lower level could be passenger pick up / drop off and taxi pick up queueing area. Upper levels station paid parking.

Stroudley road should become a one way loop with access to new station car park / taxi rank so the stupid roundabouts get removed (accident waiting to happen with all the taxis flying around). Sort out the phasing of New England road traffic lights and I think most problems would be sorted.

Trouble is Network Rail will never do the job properly. Current situation is just a short term fudge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here