Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The New Brighton Station taxi rank

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
does seem daft to put it out the back without cover. i heard an announcment on train this morning, other than that first heard or seen about it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Overall a better solution imho, with one or two drawbacks. The traffic gridlock and many dozens of taxis waiting in Surrey Street etc, was an issue (pollution, noise, jams, unsightly). Inherently conservative, Hackney Carriage drivers are resistant to change, but hopefully the new rank works for them once it settles down.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Terrible idea as far as I can see. Taxis come out into the permanently gridlocked New England Quarter.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Last night the taxis were queueing up opposite the Queen's Head to pick up punters.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Terrible idea as far as I can see. Taxis come out into the permanently gridlocked New England Quarter.

It's only permanently gridlocked because every man and his car are given completely free rein to swan around that part of town. Hopefully a situation that won't be allowed to continue for very much longer.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Station got greedy and issued way to many Station Permits (£ 1000.00 each btw) this then lead to an increase in Hackney drivers queuing out the station and into Surrey Street.

I’m assuming the value of a Hackney plate in the City has fallen as there seems to be a lot more Hackney cars about, the rank at the bottom of North Street is jam packed at most hours of the day with many drivers standing around chatting.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why can’t you walk from the station, it’s only a short walk and now quicker than getting a taxi.

I assumed he was talking about elderly people, people with disabilities or young kids, people with luggage, tourists, people with little time, etc. Seems a crazy Idea to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've all had 'one' subject at school.
Whether it was an interest, a great teacher or just a subject you got right from the off.

For me it was geography.
I lucked into a succession of my school's best teachers and I wee-wee'd my way through 5 years of the subject even throwing in an extra year of Geology.

I always thought it was about physical geography while the human side was a necessary evil.

Over the last few years that's turned on its head.

(Well done for getting this far but if you thought that was dull brace yourself)

I'd love to do it all again and really concentrate on urban planning and transportation.

I find it absolutely fascinating how we've pretty much all slavishly evolved into cars.

I waste far too much of my day looking at this sort of stuff.
I may we'll find myself wondering how Oslo got to be car free.

I'm certainly curious as to how Oslo has a better climate for cycling (one for the valley garden thread fans).

Naturally I'd love to know the thinking that's currently effecting Brighton.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We've all had 'one' subject at school.
Whether it was an interest, a great teacher or just a subject you got right from the off.

For me it was geography.
I lucked into a succession of my school's best teachers and I wee-wee'd my way through 5 years of the subject even throwing in an extra year of Geology.

I always thought it was about physical geography while the human side was a necessary evil.

Over the last few years that's turned on its head.

(Well done for getting this far but if you thought that was dull brace yourself)

I'd love to do it all again and really concentrate on urban planning and transportation.

I find it absolutely fascinating how we've pretty much all slavishly evolved into cars.

I waste far too much of my day looking at this sort of stuff.
I may we'll find myself wondering how Oslo got to be car free.

I'm certainly curious as to how Oslo has a better climate for cycling (one for the valley garden thread fans).

Naturally I'd love to know the thinking that's currently effecting Brighton.

There’s no ‘thinking’

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Brighton is a wreck of a place as far as transportation is concerned.

diesel taxis should just be banned, horrible things. electric, superclean petrol hybrid or bikes/scooters, there's no need for diesel in towns. its only more efficient for motorway cruising anyway, and stinky nasty stuff at best.

the buses all need sorting out as well . . . . I'm with Stat Brother, T&C planning and particuarly transport is a shockingly bad, my background is engineering and logistics, it infuriates me how things are made worse by progress!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here