Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Connolly injured......

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think it's time we put an end to these international breaks. So many players get a groin strain the weekend before it's got to be treated as player abuse! Stop it, now!
I don't totally agree, but I see where you're coming from. I think the concept of the International Break is fine but certainly there are WAY too many of them. What's needed is less internationals. Currently we have these huge qualifying groups with about a dozen fixtures needed to complete them - and then they let so many countries into the finals that it almost makes a mockery of the process. Plus even the losers can qualify via the various repêchage methods. (I do believe even Scotland have a chance for next year's Euros).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think it's time we put an end to these international breaks. So many players get a groin strain the weekend before it's got to be treated as player abuse! Stop it, now!

I'd rather they had an amnesty on disciplinary points while the breaks are on as a goodwill gesture for not picking Dunky!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

They should play all the international matches Wednesday, Saturday for a month after the CL final so the league season would finish earlier, and the players could recover to be fit for their employers for August... just a thought

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They should play all the international matches Wednesday, Saturday for a month after the CL final so the league season would finish earlier, and the players could recover to be fit for their employers for August... just a thought

What happens in a World Cup / Euros year then ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eh?

Qualifiers odd years, tournaments even

Oh I see. Meaning that in effect, you have an International tournament every summer.

I'm no fan of the current setup with the season regularly being interrupted, but I'm not sure playing major International tournaments every single summer, either qualifying or playing in the tournament itself, would be a viable answer. The top players would end up completely burnt out.

The long and short of it is there's just way too much football now. The expansion of the International tournaments and qualifiers, plus the expansion of the Champions League and Europa League is all to serve the constant demands of TV, and it'll all be shoe-horned in somewhere, somehow. The sensible answer would be to go back to groups of 4 for qualifying, top 2 go through, no mucking around with Playoffs etc. Never going to happen though, as there are TV rights to sell.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Imagine BHA fans being worried about having so many players being out on international duty........who’d have thunk it..........

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Imagine BHA fans being worried about having so many players being out on international duty........who’d have thunk it..........

we have had a lot of Irish Internationals over the years . . .it's not the highest International bar. In either respect!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Oh I see. Meaning that in effect, you have an International tournament every summer.

I'm no fan of the current setup with the season regularly being interrupted, but I'm not sure playing major International tournaments every single summer, either qualifying or playing in the tournament itself, would be a viable answer. The top players would end up completely burnt out.

The long and short of it is there's just way too much football now. The expansion of the International tournaments and qualifiers, plus the expansion of the Champions League and Europa League is all to serve the constant demands of TV, and it'll all be shoe-horned in somewhere, somehow. The sensible answer would be to go back to groups of 4 for qualifying, top 2 go through, no mucking around with Playoffs etc. Never going to happen though, as there are TV rights to sell.

good, evens up the playing field,

second paragraph, entirely concur; but still, all internationals, after moneyball, everyone wins except the breadheads man :D

will never happen :glare:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
we have had a lot of Irish Internationals over the years . . .it's not the highest International bar. In either respect!

Do you really want to go there? :glare:

Disappointing for Connolly - he would have played with Parrott against New Zealand - but unlikely he would have played against Denmark with McGoldrick fit again. I would have played Connolly instead of McClean but McCarthy will hunker down with the old reliables for this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here