Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Snowflakes

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I can't believe that anyone is reporting a story like this as news. British Bulldog was banned frequently in school playgrounds in the eighties as was anything that put kids at what a school considered to be unacceptable risk (Remember the Tango adverts?) Schools have to find a balance between parents who would run to the Argus moaning that 'they're wrapping our kids in cotton wool' and those who may be keen to sue the school for compensation if someone got hurt. In this situation, they are always going to err on the side of caution. The prevalent litigation culture never gets mentioned in these Health & Safety stories, but it's virtually always an underlying factor.

Both James Walvin's 'The People's Game' and David Goldblatt's 'The Ball Is Round' tell the story of how one response to the violence and rioting in British Public Schools in the 18th century was to provide outlet for such urges through the promotion of athletic pursuits. These rudimentary ball games became codified eventually becoming Association and Rugby Football. So without teachers responding to the inherent risks of playground games we wouldn't have the game we all love. I'd like to say that the Argus and its lazy parasites in the nationals have no business stirring up fake controversies for the already overstretched public sector, but sadly it seems that this is some of the only business they have left.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can't believe that anyone is reporting a story like this as news. British Bulldog was banned frequently in school playgrounds in the eighties as was anything that put kids at what a school considered to be unacceptable risk (Remember the Tango adverts?) Schools have to find a balance between parents who would run to the Argus moaning that 'they're wrapping our kids in cotton wool' and those who may be keen to sue the school for compensation if someone got hurt. In this situation, they are always going to err on the side of caution. The prevalent litigation culture never gets mentioned in these Health & Safety stories, but it's virtually always an underlying factor.

Both James Walvin's 'The People's Game' and David Goldblatt's 'The Ball Is Round' tell the story of how one response to the violence and rioting in British Public Schools in the 18th century was to provide outlet for such urges through the promotion of athletic pursuits. These rudimentary ball games became codified eventually becoming Association and Rugby Football. So without teachers responding to the inherent risks of playground games we wouldn't have the game we all love. I'd like to say that the Argus and its lazy parasites in the nationals have no business stirring up fake controversies for the already overstretched public sector, but sadly it seems that this is some of the only business they have left.
Top post.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A friend told of a game they played called Moorgate. It involved getting a train together and then grabbing a hapless victim at the front and well ..... those of a certain age can guess the rest.

Schools have to find a balance between parents who would run to the Argus moaning that 'they're wrapping our kids in cotton wool' and those who may be keen to sue the school for compensation if someone got hurt.

Stato nails it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here