Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] His Dark Materials ... Why ? and, whats the point ?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Previous episode didn't do much for me, it all felt a tiny bit overwrought and hammy ('father .... father?'), but last night's was great. Iorek and Lee were perfect.

I did realise when my wife asked me what the hell is going on just how complicated it all is, explaining it all (daemons, different limbs of the church, bears, witches, moving between worlds, the alethiometer etc) after last night's episode took a while, I can understand why people wouldn't bother with it all if they hadn't read the books.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can't wait to 'meet' Serafina Pekkala

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Best episode so far last night. Brilliant sets and imagery, tension, suspense, the odd scare, it moved the character narratives forwards and left you hungry for more. It's taken a while to probably get the non-book fans on board, but the whole daemon / soul / sin arc is starting to reveal itself as the complex story unravels.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Best episode so far last night. Brilliant sets and imagery, tension, suspense, the odd scare, it moved the character narratives forwards and left you hungry for more. It's taken a while to probably get the non-book fans on board, but the whole daemon / soul / sin arc is starting to reveal itself as the complex story unravels.

When those things appeared on the balloon I literally shouted out (in front of my wife and 13 year old daughter) "What the **** was that!?!?" - truly terrifying.

Excellent episode, loads of tension and impending doom.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ruth Wilson is always watchable though, so have it on in the background and look up when she's on.

This. She has amazing lips. Whenever I see them I have only one thought: "Gobblers!"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

It's almost like a story isn't completed in the first 5 minutes of the opening episode! There's so much depth and material to the books, you have to let the story unfold and let it happen. I think they could do with not waiting too long between the first, second and inevitable third series to prevent an obvious aging of Lyra and Will. This is shaping up to be the TV series worthy of the content of the books.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just finished this series. Immersive. Well set up for the next series, and I agree that it promised a quick turnaround. Whether we get that now is a whole different story ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just finished this series. Immersive. Well set up for the next series, and I agree that it promised a quick turnaround. Whether we get that now is a whole different story ...

The books are brutal. If you haven't started the second (first) three yet (bit of a Star Wars arrangement here), beware. These are not books for kids. I will probably never read them again, but I'm glad I did, and I can't wait for the next installment. Extraordinary insight into inner conflict and detachment and their management (something you can't pull off without consequences when half your mind (the daemon) is a physical being sharing your physical reality). With all that in mind (spoiler alert)....imagine the state your mind must be in for you to abuse your own daemon....

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
One of the worst series I've ever read or watched. No idea how people made this a thing. But each to their own. Mrs Brown's Boys exists in this world somehow too so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here