Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] His Dark Materials ... Why ? and, whats the point ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have to admit I worked my way through the books but never really understood much of what was going on as it seems so disjointed and confusing. I still don't get the idea of " Daemons" in animal form stuck with you within 10 feet of you whatever you are doing, the smell of shit must be awful if you end up with a Pig or a Fox as your Daemon ?

So, is this an amazing new TV take on the books or is it a load of cobblers ? Any sense to it ?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Think it is a satirical take on Catholicism from what I have heard. Read the first book a few years ago when I went through a phase of getting through the "must read books" and don't remember much about it but I guess I am not the target audience.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Read the original trilogy (and watched the film of The Golden Compass, which was excellent). Quite enjoyed the first two books, but not understanding increasing amounts as I read on. By the time I'd finished the third book, I'd practically lost the will to live!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Read the original trilogy (and watched the film of The Golden Compass, which was excellent). Quite enjoyed the first two books, but not understanding increasing amounts as I read on. By the time I'd finished the third book, I'd practically lost the will to live!

He'd obviously been on a deadline to finish the third book and delivered it to the publisher whether it made sense or not. By then it had become a confused mess of sub-William Blake anti-religion, anti-CS Lewis nonsense.

I watched an FA Cup final in his company at a friend's house in Oxford once but luckily the subject of his books didn't come up.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Read the first one and didn't bother with the rest. I quite liked the Daemon concept, but the whole story line didn't really grip me and so moved on to something else. Maybe the target audience was more teenagers, but having watched the first episode I realised why I didn't carry on with the books. Was the main villainess blonde in the books? That annoyed me when watching the adaption.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Surprised at the negative reaction to The Amber Spyglass (the 3rd book). It won the Whitbread book of the year and was longlisted for the man booker prize and was a good end to the trilogy.

Great books, I've got the kids reading them.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
THE best series of books I've ever read, I enjoy Northern Lights more than The Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass, but it's quite simply the finest story I've ever read in a series. I think the TV series has been amazingly cast, and should really deliver on the source material.

I've also been enjoying the prequel and sequel series, The Book of Dust. It's a multiverse which assumes every fairy tale is true. You need an imagination to fully enjoy the story but like anything else - either you'll buy into the premise, or you won't. You'll associate with the stories, or you won't. I can understand not liking The Amber Spyglass, in particular, considering that it does descend into heretical chaos, but it's true to the threads of the story woven in Northern Lights. I've read the stories many, many times and they mean a lot to me personally. They're more than just books to me.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Read the first one and didn't bother with the rest. I quite liked the Daemon concept, but the whole story line didn't really grip me and so moved on to something else. Maybe the target audience was more teenagers, but having watched the first episode I realised why I didn't carry on with the books. Was the main villainess blonde in the books? That annoyed me when watching the adaption.

Nope, she was blonde in The Golden Compass film though. Lyra is supposed to have dirty blonde hair.

THE best series of books I've ever read, I enjoy Northern Lights more than The Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass, but it's quite simply the finest story I've ever read in a series. I think the TV series has been amazingly cast, and should really deliver on the source material.

I've also been enjoying the prequel and sequel series, The Book of Dust. It's a multiverse which assumes every fairy tale is true. You need an imagination to fully enjoy the story but like anything else - either you'll buy into the premise, or you won't. You'll associate with the stories, or you won't. I can understand not liking The Amber Spyglass, in particular, considering that it does descend into heretical chaos, but it's true to the threads of the story woven in Northern Lights. I've read the stories many, many times and they mean a lot to me personally. They're more than just books to me.

I couldn't agree more, I've never had as emotional response to a book series, other than The Lord of the Rings, as HDM. They are something special.

Have you read the three short stories? They're rather nice tales too.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Each to their own, you like what you like, but I didn't think this series was a patch on Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn books, or Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy, or Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies (that had me in tears). I guess that's what's great about literature, there's something for everyone.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Enjoyed the books. Not sure about the tv series. Odd time to show it. Not sure this is a 8pm Sunday type of series.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like Mrs Coulter is a Gobbler...… Oh behave !

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Interesting that they are munging the books together in the TV series. I enjoyed it tonight, Thought Ruth Wilson plays a good part.

The fact I can watch it with my eldest (11) is a bonus. So little telly we watch as a family.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Watching it with my 13 and 10 year olds, we're all enjoying it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Didn't think episode 1 was all that great, but loved episode 2. Top show, can't wait for part 3.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I loved the book series, thought The Golden Compass was disappointing first time I saw it. Rewatched it recently and enjoyed it much more. Only seen the first episode of this new thing but quite enjoyed it.

Re reading the trilogy with my 12 year old daughter. She is enjoying it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree (about how good they are and their importance). I'll also add mention of the sub themes of depression, isolation and reconciliation. And the triumph of an enduring human spirit.

I'm 3/4 way through the fifth book right now.....stunning.

I read the first three twice. You can miss important things on first read.

And when I started the first book I read 40 pages and gave up. Irritating bollocks, I thought. So glad I gave it another go. Some of the characterisation is extraordinary.

As for the TV series, I haven't watched episode 2 yet, but so far so good. I feared the daemons might come across as Disney characters in CGI, and I'm neutral about this at the moment. We shall see, later, when Mrs Coulter's monkey reveals his colours. And in book 4, of course, we have Bonneville and his dog..... (which I found so disturbing it is unlikely I'll re-read that book.....).

If you enjoy dark fantasy that is actually a smart satire of human foibles, fill your boots. Expect to be surprised and moved.

Aug 1, 2006
Loved the books - brilliant story telling and much more subtle dystopian teenage fiction than average. Characterisation genuinely some of my favorite ever (being an avid reader this says a lot).

Thought film was utter cr*p, quite like the tv, beautiful to look at and *quite* magical but so difficult to match your own imagination. Interested to see how it pans out and enjoying it at the moment. 17yr old daughter avoiding so can read books first instead. All in all though, still a joy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here