Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Kennel Cough - Has your dog had or got it?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
We ended up getting two Cocker Poo's last year. We only set out to get one but a few days after getting Bugzy back home I rang the breeder (No he wasn't a breeder he was just a fella who's dog had a litter - except his dog kept having litters!) to enquire about Bugzys birth date.
There were two pups left when I picked up Bugz and the other was definitely the runt of the litter. I really had wanted to take that one but once Bugzy was in our arms we couldn't put him back down. Whilst on the phone I enquired after the little runt (well, he was!)
Lo and behold the other little fella had been rejected by the family that bought him and would be getting brought back later that day! After spending £650 on Bugzy I wasn't able to go again but the family rejecting the little guy only wanted part (most) of their money back so I being the sucker scooped the final few quid I had left in the world and set off to Orpington (says it all really!) to get the little scamp.

2 x this
2 x that
2 x stuff you really don't enjoy picking up, but do.

Now it's 2 x Kennel cough.

I only ever had one dog, a cocker called Floozy and she was built of stern stuff and was never sick a day, until she was.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to help a dog with Kennel cough. Apparently it's rampant but there's not much you can do. Anything that anyone has found helps would be welcome.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
sick-pug-with-mask-on.jpg

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
£650 for a cross breed? Jesus! Vets and a dose of antibiotics I believe, mine have only suffered from it once but it was a while ago so can't recall how long it took to go.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We ended up getting two Cocker Poo's last year. We only set out to get one but a few days after getting Bugzy back home I rang the breeder (No he wasn't a breeder he was just a fella who's dog had a litter - except his dog kept having litters!) to enquire about Bugzys birth date.
There were two pups left when I picked up Bugz and the other was definitely the runt of the litter. I really had wanted to take that one but once Bugzy was in our arms we couldn't put him back down. Whilst on the phone I enquired after the little runt (well, he was!)
Lo and behold the other little fella had been rejected by the family that bought him and would be getting brought back later that day! After spending £650 on Bugzy I wasn't able to go again but the family rejecting the little guy only wanted part (most) of their money back so I being the sucker scooped the final few quid I had left in the world and set off to Orpington (says it all really!) to get the little scamp.

2 x this
2 x that
2 x stuff you really don't enjoy picking up, but do.

Now it's 2 x Kennel cough.

I only ever had one dog, a cocker called Floozy and she was built of stern stuff and was never sick a day, until she was.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to help a dog with Kennel cough. Apparently it's rampant but there's not much you can do. Anything that anyone has found helps would be welcome.

If the dogs are a year old, then they've had their full course of injections, so it should only be a mild case. Definitely contact the vets for antibiotics, and get the dogs examined.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
£650 for a cross breed? Jesus! Vets and a dose of antibiotics I believe, mine have only suffered from it once but it was a while ago so can't recall how long it took to go.

I spent £700 on our Cavapoo Mrs Chopper and little Chipper wanted one, had it from 8 weeks, it will be 3 at Christmas.
Anti allergenic and does not moult.
A nicer and more loving dog you could not wish to find, so are Cockerpoos.
Worth every penny and extremely popular.
Regarding the cough, are you sure it had all the necessary jabs at the vets before you purchased it
Mine coughs sometimes but doesn't last long so not thought much about it, maybe that is kennel cough or possibly something to do with Poos.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All these new breed dogs ending in poo are shit. Nothing but trouble and all because some myth about not causing allergies in kids. Plenty do. Seriously people do some ****ing research into who you’re buying from and what type dog, it’s line, health of parent, breed etc. Not suggesting any of this about OP, but so many people including friends I know are so ridiculously naive and stupid when comes to buying a dog they’re guilty of sustaining this monstrous puppy farm industry that’s nothing but misery making for families but more importantly the animals themselves. Stop. Think. And it’s your bloody responsibility, it’s not some H&M tat to take back after you’ve changed your mind. And only have one if you can give it a good life which does not mean leaving it seven hours a day like some joker does in our neighbourhood because can hear poor thing barking and crying all day and every day. Or you decide to have kids so get rid of it after a couple of years to a dog home, like it was disposable. There are so many ********s out there and they’re not the ones on a leash but probably should be! Rant OVER! :angry:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If the dogs are a year old, then they've had their full course of injections, so it should only be a mild case. Definitely contact the vets for antibiotics, and get the dogs examined.

Yep, my understanding similarly. Best of luck to the OP getting rover sorted.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove

I seriously doubted the guy I bought them from did anything other than the least he could get away with. We had their 'jabs' done and haven't had any problems until now.
Thanks for responses.
I think we just have to ride it out.
My main motivation in even sharing / bothering to write this up is the fact that there does seem to be an epidemic of Kennel Cough at the moment. I didn't realise it was so prevalent.
It can be caught in any local park where an infected dog has been.
It's quite distressing seeing them gag and bring up a frothy liquid - you'll know if your dog has it. It's between a cough and gagging, it's really not nice.

Portlock is absolutely right about everything he's written (ranted :) They are not hypoalleranything.

I bloody love mine, (the result of being empty nesters maybe) and they get loads of exercise - even in centralish London, lucky to be near Wormwood Scrubs so they get to rampage around there every day or I'll take them further afield at weekends when I'm not working -

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I spent £700 on our Cavapoo Mrs Chopper and little Chipper wanted one, had it from 8 weeks, it will be 3 at Christmas.
Anti allergenic and does not moult.
A nicer and more loving dog you could not wish to find, so are Cockerpoos.
Worth every penny and extremely popular.
Regarding the cough, are you sure it had all the necessary jabs at the vets before you purchased it
Mine coughs sometimes but doesn't last long so not thought much about it, maybe that is kennel cough or possibly something to do with Poos.
I love cross breeds, never had a 'pedegree' and certainly don't want one. Just amuses me how folk have somehow marketed it all, created a few niche names that everyone loves to reinforce, and are making a fortune as a result. Very clever really.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Our dog is a rescue, at 5 1/2 months old he was exactly the kind of thing Portlock rightly rants about.

I find it amazing people are wasting hundreds if not thousands of pounds for mongrels.

Rocco had giardia when we got him, which was quickly and simply treated, had his jabs and one dose of kennel cough. They shoot spray up their noses. He ****ing hated it and was unwell for a week after. We've not bothered since. The doggy day care place in Shoreham won't take him as a consequence, but he ****ing hates the place, as do we.

Dog has been fit and healthy ever since, the few kennels we've used for holidays don't insist on KC. I'm of the opinion it's Something caused and spread when dogs are forced together in day care centres!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
All these new breed dogs ending in poo are shit. Nothing but trouble and all because some myth about not causing allergies in kids. Plenty do. Seriously people do some ****ing research into who you’re buying from and what type dog, it’s line, health of parent, breed etc. Not suggesting any of this about OP, but so many people including friends I know are so ridiculously naive and stupid when comes to buying a dog they’re guilty of sustaining this monstrous puppy farm industry that’s nothing but misery making for families but more importantly the animals themselves. Stop. Think. And it’s your bloody responsibility, it’s not some H&M tat to take back after you’ve changed your mind. And only have one if you can give it a good life which does not mean leaving it seven hours a day like some joker does in our neighbourhood because can hear poor thing barking and crying all day and every day. Or you decide to have kids so get rid of it after a couple of years to a dog home, like it was disposable. There are so many ********s out there and they’re not the ones on a leash but probably should be! Rant OVER! :angry:

I can't be bothered to say at the moment where and how I purchased our Cavapoo, how I saw the parents beforehand twice, asked all the questions and double checked everything.
And they are anti allergenic, it's one of the reasons we got one, both me and the missus are allergic to a lot of animals especially cats and horses and some dogs, with our dog we have had no problems at all.
And I take her to work with me, they hate being alone.
Outside of the politics threads I have never read such a load of old bollox in my life.
They are often used in old folks homes as company dogs and reading dogs for kids with problems as they just lie there with anyone as if they are listening, they are ultra friendly.
Shit dogs they are not.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I seriously doubted the guy I bought them from did anything other than the least he could get away with. We had their 'jabs' done and haven't had any problems until now.
Thanks for responses.
I think we just have to ride it out.
My main motivation in even sharing / bothering to write this up is the fact that there does seem to be an epidemic of Kennel Cough at the moment. I didn't realise it was so prevalent.
It can be caught in any local park where an infected dog has been.
It's quite distressing seeing them gag and bring up a frothy liquid - you'll know if your dog has it. It's between a cough and gagging, it's really not nice.

Portlock is absolutely right about everything he's written (ranted :) They are not hypoalleranything.

I bloody love mine, (the result of being empty nesters maybe) and they get loads of exercise - even in centralish London, lucky to be near Wormwood Scrubs so they get to rampage around there every day or I'll take them further afield at weekends when I'm not working -

I ended up getting a toy poodle in 2018 from a KC reg breeder and she is incredible.

Phoebes Mum

May 5, 2019
My lurcher had kennel cough earlier in the year. I naively thought she would of been covered by her annual jab but it turned out I needed to specifically ask for the treatment (squirt of liquid up the nostril). I had to try and keep her away from other dogs for 2 weeks and they just said give her metacam. Hope they are soon feeling better.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
We've got a Cockapoo - amazing dogs

I don't get all this pompous Kennel Club snobbery.

If you get a dog that is happy, friendly, good with your children and provides you with years of happy companionship, who gives a shit about the family tree?

You do need to do some work with the reputation and background of the breeder though.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We've got a Cockapoo - amazing dogs

I don't get all this pompous Kennel Club snobbery.

If you get a dog that is happy, friendly, good with your children and provides you with years of happy companionship, who gives a shit about the family tree?

You do need to do some work with the reputation and background of the breeder though.

Exactly
And that is precisely what we did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here