Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League admit VAR made a MISTAKE in awarding Brighton a last-minute penalty

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It wasn't a last minute penalty- and where does the Premier League admit it ?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Does the Mail read NSC ? They also have trouble spelling Connolly. :ffsparr:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What was a mistake ? Keane trod on Connolly's foot in the penalty area, there is no doubt.

The VAR official INTERPRETED it as a foul. It now appears someone else INTERPRETED it differently and told Marco Silva they had.

So where was the Mistake ?

The mistake was, of course, believing something written in the Daily Mail :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Looking forward to VAR completely trashing the Premier League media-love in that is Liverpool vs. Man City this Sunday. Hopefully that will be it's death knell.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What was a mistake ? Keane trod on Connolly's foot in the penalty area, there is no doubt.

The VAR official INTERPRETED it as a foul. It now appears someone else INTERPRETED it differently and told Marco Silva they had.

The mistake was, of course, believing something written in the Daily Mail :lolol:

Someone made a mistake with their interpretation ....

Oh, and Keane made a mistake by treading on Connolly too

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fully expected the decision to be no penalty, in fact I was shocked they even looked at it (I had the benefit of seeing the replay on the press screen before VAR flagged up). It was a mistake and we would have been incandescent if it happened to us.

VAR is a crock of shit imo, I’d much rather go back to “some you win, some you don‘t’” as it’s always been. Seems to work in rugby but then there are plenty of breaks in rugby and it’s seldom contentious. Seems most of the VAR decisions have been contentious and very long winded, which doesn’t go well with a game of football.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Any chance points could be taken away then ?!?!

Surely premier League are opening themselves up for a court case if this is true.

Idiots

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any chance points could be taken away then ?!?!

Surely premier League are opening themselves up for a court case if this is true.

Idiots

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

I imagine they’ll be pretty unsympathetic to us on the next contentious Albion VAR decision, for or against us. Human nature isn’t it?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I imagine they’ll be pretty unsympathetic to us on the next contentious Albion VAR decision, for or against us. Human nature isn’t it?

That would seem particularly unfair if they did.

No one on the Albion side called for the penalty, let alone asked for VAR to give it. As far as I'm aware the ref didn't even ask for VAR assistance. The mistake was made purely by the VAR official. I really can't see how them treating us harshly on the next contentious issue would help anyone. If anything it would undermine the use of VAR even further.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh well, never mind.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This is where VAR isn’t clear. It should be a tool to support officials. You’re probably right, in isolation it could see that incident as a penalty, but on field the ref had decided no foul and I think we can be fairly certain he saw it. So the mistake for VAR is determining that as a clear and obvious error, when really it wasn’t. Had the ref given it, I’d expect VAR to uphold the decision.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Whether VAR or not, whether intentional or not, it was a foul. That means a penalty was justified.

I hate VAR, but it worked in our favour for once. No gripe with the scousers (other than the normal one), but fxxk the refs association, the VAR officials, the FA/Premier League and the media.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here