Votes: 42 49.4%
  • It makes no difference, the plane is going anyway

Votes: 38 44.7%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Won't make a blind bit of difference with industrial revolutions going on elsewhere in the world.

In fact, even a global carbon reduction is not an economical way to combat climate change long term.

In the tiny microcosm of your own existence, whether or not you take a flight is such an insignificant thing that these kinds of vacuous discussions are only had by those who have no concept of scale.

I can’t be arsed to challenge this train of thought. But one thing I will say is, have you ever considered it’s sometimes simply just good to do the right thing in life?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The carbon allowance idea is probably the most sensible and fairest approach. How it would operate, and how it would be managed and policed, I have no idea.

I don't know either, but they needs to do something to change consumer behaviour

You pollute, you pay

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I can’t be arsed to challenge this train of thought. But one thing I will say is, have you ever considered it’s sometimes simply just good to do the right thing in life?

1. Challenge it as best you can, I look forward to your citations.
2. I don't fly, but I neither expect the same nor judge those that do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't know either, but they needs to do something to change consumer behaviour

You pollute, you pay

if the extent of CO2 emission are correct, this isnt enough. paying only helps if there is a process to pay to de-carbonise. it needs to be punitive taxes to really make any difference.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Air travel is not the problem, The IPCC has estimated that aviation is responsible for around 3.5 percent of anthropogenic climate change. Flying is a tiny percentage of the problem.

This graph (albeit a bit general in its approach) sets it out fairly well

1*H2_ng3v9AjmgZzQrNr_6HA.jpeg

This pod cast episode of Sean Carrols Mindscape is excellent https://youtu.be/Q4mLKRCL2z8

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Air travel is not the problem, The IPCC has estimated that aviation is responsible for around 3.5 percent of anthropogenic climate change. Flying is a tiny percentage of the problem.

has anyone let Greta know its OK to fly to Spain?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
dont worry, someone has flown to the US to crew the boat so that Greta doesnt have to fly. :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here