Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] HCGS for boys. History of. the School.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Looking Back: Hove Grammar School For Boys - 1936 - 1979 Hardcover – 19 Apr 2018
by William H. Brock (Author) around £15

There are quite a few old boys of HCGS on here. Came across this book. The author is an old boy. It covers the history divided by the 3 heads, Norden, Greatwood and Williamson. My time was the Greatwood era.
Interesting read. Can get from Amazon. Use Bozza's link.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well I was, what I believe in modern parlance is termed, physically assaulted by Williamson :wink:

I wonder when they got that 'Merry Xmas Ned' off the school roof ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well I was, what I believe in modern parlance is termed, physically assaulted by Williamson :wink:

I suffered physically assault at his hands as well. Like a badge of honor.

Was friends with the 'Merry Xmas Ned' culprit. Met him and his brother by chance in the pub in Marylebone High Street for last season's Cup semi. He was hauled in for it but has always been a good liar so no problem there.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003

Williamson’s behaviour is covered although the author does comment that he has now taken out unsubstantiated accounts from the book’s earlier edition.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Williamson’s behaviour is covered although the author does comment that he has now taken out unsubstantiated accounts from the book’s earlier edition.

It was nothing really.

It was two strokes of the cane for being caught smoking behind the squash courts, followed a couple of hours later by six strokes for punching the prefect responsible for the first two :wink:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
It was nothing really.

It was two strokes of the cane for being caught smoking behind the squash courts, followed a couple of hours later by six strokes for punching the prefect responsible for the first two :wink:

No different to my time under Greatwood. “Tabby” deputy head stroked my backside with cane quite a few times but the biggest scandal in my time was the the throwing out of the window girl’s knickers on the Aldrington halt to Haywards Heath train. Sadly Living in Hangleton I was not involved in that . If I recall correctly that involved expulsions.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I never had an issue with Williamson. He was always fair to me whenever our paths crossed, even when he caught me cheating in a Latin test. I know some pupils loathed him at the time, but I always put that down to his standards against theirs. There were far worse at that place than him.

Compared to the regime that immediately followed when HCGSB became Blatchington Mill which was inept and totally chaotic, Williamson's regime was a model of control.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Too many stories from 1964 to 1972 to put on here but one involved fusing the electrolysis equipment that ran on batteries. This involved Looby .jones having to keep moving from lab to lab to reset the fuses each time we touched the plates together. He got so fed up in the end that a few of us were sent to God’s queue for a lashing.
Can’t beat a good caning - kids today .................

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Charles Cope

I was class of 73-79, so saw most of the school go comprehensive while I was in the upper 6th, although we were allowed to stay grammar. I agree that whatever was wrong with it the quality of teachers went downhill after the change.

Must be some stories about Charlie Cope (RIP)? I expect HWT to be here sometime.

Last edited:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
It was Tabby for me. For climbing over the wall to retrieve the ball that flew over due to my rotten shot. Got the ball ok but climbed back over into the waiting arms of a prefect.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I suffered physically assault at his hands as well. Like a badge of honor.

Was friends with the 'Merry Xmas Ned' culprit. Met him and his brother by chance in the pub in Marylebone High Street for last season's Cup semi. He was hauled in for it but has always been a good liar so no problem there.

Are the initials GF?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was class of 73-79, so saw most of the school go comprehensive while I was in the upper 6th, although we were allowed to stay grammar. I agree that whatever was wrong with it the quality of teachers went downhill after the change.

Must be some stories about Charlie Cope? I expect HWT to be here sometime.

A lesson for life from HCGSB. Never ever throw a javelin anywhere near Chas Cope unless you were studying early Anglo Saxon :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Must be some stories about Charlie Cope? I expect HWT to be here sometime.

Ha ha! Well this is second hand since Cope didn't teach me but it was posted on here 15 years ago, the story of someone writing something on a blackboard in a classroom he was about to use. Apparently when he came in and saw it he invited the class to inform him 'Which c*** wrote that?' :lolol:

My person fave was getting endless mocking from Mr Chrone for my arsey attitude, long hair and disregard for the location of the knot in my tie, only to get a grade 1 in my chemistry O level. It wasn't that, but the fact he blanked me for the next two years. He was a bit religious so I expect he thought I was in league with the devil. Which, of course, I was :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another story I have recounted on here before; I was a minute late one day when I was in the lower sixth. I was caught by a prefect less than a year older than me. He gave me a detention. The pettyfogging officious plum.

A year later he was dead (some sort of haemorrhage or something).

Throughout my life, people who cross me come to a sticky end, not usually death, but sometimes death, with absolutely no involvement of my gentle self. Weird. It has given me a warm aura of, not exactly invincibility but, well if someone goes out of their way to disadvantage me I tend to raise an eyebrow. Fact.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Another story I have recounted on here before; I was a minute late one day when I was in the lower sixth. I was caught by a prefect less than a year older than me. He gave me a detention. The pettyfogging officious plum.

A year later he was dead (some sort of haemorrhage or something).

Throughout my life, people who cross me come to a sticky end, not usually death, but sometimes death, with absolutely no involvement of my gentle self. Weird. It has given me a warm aura of, not exactly invincibility but, well if someone goes out of their way to disadvantage me I tend to raise an eyebrow. Fact.

You must have some vengeful spirits watching and guarding you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When we were in the music hut, someone saw a small boy on the back field and decided to imitate Poxy Baxter and shouted through the open window 'Go down to the headmaster's office' using said mathematician's Mancunian vowels.

On that moment a dervish in black cape whirled round the hut (I swear I saw a little spark of fire and inhaled a whiff of burning sulphur) and pointed through the open window 'No, YOU go down to the hedmaster's office'. Scenes. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You must have some vengeful spirits watching and guarding you.

Perhaps.

And when I put someone on ignore I'm really doing them a kindness. ??? :shrug:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Looking Back: Hove Grammar School For Boys - 1936 - 1979 Hardcover – 19 Apr 2018
by William H. Brock (Author) around £15

There are quite a few old boys of HCGS on here. Came across this book. The author is an old boy. It covers the history divided by the 3 heads, Norden, Greatwood and Williamson. My time was the Greatwood era.
Interesting read. Can get from Amazon. Use Bozza's link.

Sadly it's a couple of years too late for my father who attended from 1936... I might buy it anyway to get an idea about what his early school days were like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here