Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Crossrail Delay: Line will not open until 2021 as costs increase

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crossrail Ltd chief executive Mark Wild said services would be delayed to allow time for more testing.

He also said the cost of the project could reach £18.25bn, an increase of £650m on the previously agreed total.

The budget was originally set at £15.9bn for the scheme, which will connect major landmarks such as Heathrow Airport and the Canary Wharf business district.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50345344

Just imagine having the people who negotiated this and the HS2 deal had rolled into Brussels 3 years ago, actually working for Britain instead of screwing our slackjawed government.

We'd be out of the EU, all now living in mansions and £350m a week would be spent on the NHS.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Would be astounded if a major project like this finished on time and under budget. Just par for the course.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would be astounded if a major project like this finished on time and under budget. Just par for the course.

Would happen in Germany.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

This. Crossrail involves constructing around 26 miles of tunnels beneath London and 10 new, bespoke stations. I don't think a rise of £2.25bn from the original budget is that bad, not in comparison to the cluster that is HS2 anyway.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In this historically cheap time to borrow money we should be doing a lot more of these types of projects. Doing them better would be nice of course, but CCT skews estimates and puts unrealistic costs and timescales onto major projects like this one...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
This. Crossrail involves constructing around 26 miles of tunnels beneath London and 10 new, bespoke stations. I don't think a rise of £2.25bn from the original budget is that bad, not in comparison to the cluster that is HS2 anyway.

Absolutely, Crossrail is London and the South East. This is a good thing. HS1 was London and the South East. That was a good thing.

HS2 this involves the Midlands and North of England. This is not a good thing.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Must admit I'm inclined to agree. It's disappointing obviously, but it was a HUGE project with lots of 'known unknowns' and the slippage in terms of times and budget is not an excuse for outrage. (Nor should it be used as an excuse not to embark on other infrastructure projects).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Absolutely, Crossrail is London and the South East. This is a good thing. HS1 was London and the South East. That was a good thing.

HS2 this involves the Midlands and North of England. This is not a good thing.

Don't get me started on HS2. I live in the Midlands and am constantly told how great HS2 will be. The reality is that this would actually reduce the number of trains on the West Coast mainline, decimate half the countryside and increase costs on the brand spanking new line to save a whopping 10 minutes on the overall journey time. Getting to London isn't the problem. Getting around it is.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Don't get me started on HS2. I live in the Midlands and am constantly told how great HS2 will be. The reality is that this would actually reduce the number of trains on the West Coast mainline, decimate half the countryside and increase costs on the brand spanking new line to save a whopping 10 minutes on the overall journey time. Getting to London isn't the problem. Getting around it is.

OK, I'll start you. Why would it mean less trains. The whole point of HS2 is increased capacity, 2 lines instead of one. Small increase in speed being a byproduct.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would totally agree with this.

I live in Yorkshire. We have fast trains to London. What we don't have is a decent train service to Manchester. In fact, the 'Pacer' trains that go through my local station were designed to be in service no later than 2000. They will still be going well into 2020.

The lack of spending on infrastructure in the north is hugely frustrating.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013

Personally I think H2S should go ahead. For one its not about speed its about increasing capacity to. If you want to get people out of their cars you have got to offer alternatives. Secondly you say it will decimate half the countryside now that really is a whopping exaggeration! Again you say getting round London is a problem I for one have never had that problem at all. :drool:

Instead of procrastinating about H2S they should get on and get it built. Don't forget it will be around for many many years to come so spreading the costs of over its lifetime makes it relatively cheap. With climate change if the don't build it now they will have to at some stage in the future at even more cost!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I suspect that the majority of the problems that have been identified are being rectified at the cost of the contractors. These are causing massive delays, but not to a significant hike in costs.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Quite. The naivety of the uninformed never ceases to amaze me! I'm guessing those whingeing would have found a contractor on a fixed price D & B contract, willing to underwrite the phenomenal number of unknowns, and on unlimited LADs at the outset!

:wozza:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Personally I think H2S should go ahead. For one its not about speed its about increasing capacity to. If you want to get people out of their cars you have got to offer alternatives. Secondly you say it will decimate half the countryside now that really is a whopping exaggeration! Again you say getting round London is a problem I for one have never had that problem at all. :drool:

Instead of procrastinating about H2S they should get on and get it built. Don't forget it will be around for many many years to come so spreading the costs of over its lifetime makes it relatively cheap. With climate change if the don't build it now they will have to at some stage in the future at even more cost!

In fairness, hasn't the project been misnamed if it is true that "high speed" isn't actually a priority? "Increased Capacity 2 (IC2)" has an equally good ring to it. But I fail to see how the benefits can outweigh the £100 billion project cost.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
OK, I'll start you. Why would it mean less trains. The whole point of HS2 is increased capacity, 2 lines instead of one. Small increase in speed being a byproduct.

There are already two lines between Birmingham and London, but still a shortage of capacity at peak times.

The shortest journey time between New Street and Euston is currently 80 minutes. It is claimed that HS2 will reduce the fastest journey time to 50 minutes, which to my mind would be significant.

I was initially very anti HS2, down to the high cost and the environmental impact, but have been persuaded that the benefits of increased capacity and reduced journey times will ultimately prove worthwhile.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

What use is a 2nd line if they decrease the amount of trains on the West Coast mainline and you don't live anywhere near the new train station (because an airport and existing train station isn't enough) at Birmingham International which is the last stop before London on the new line? The final bill for these wonderful improvements is upwards of 80bn and counting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here