Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 60 years ago today - 7th November 1959

My first Albion game!

Having moved to Hassocks a few days earlier and being the proud possessor of a free train season ticket to Hove for school (I was 13) I set off for the Goldstone. In those days if the first team were at home then the reserves would play the opponent's reserves at their home ground and vice versa. Unfortunately, Brighton were playing away at Upton Park that day so the game I saw at the Goldstone was Brighton reserves v West Ham reserves.

I was very happy with this as I was actually a WHU fan having lived there for a few years. So there I was, standing next to the post in the south goal, resplendent in my West Ham scarf.

But that didn't last long, Brighton thrashed West Ham 5 - 1 and at half time my West Ham scarf went into my pocket and I became a Seagull (or a Dolphin, or a Shrimp, or whatever we were in those days).

A few years ago, Tim Carder managed to find me a copy of the programme below for that day (what a star that man is!). Other old farts will be familiar with some of the Albion players but you might also recognise two or three of the West Ham team, young kids working their way through the reserves and hoping one day to be able to get in the first team. I wonder what happened to them? Did any of them make it or did they all fall by the wayside?

View attachment West Ham prog 7th Nov 1959.pdf

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Congratulations, and yes that programme is an eye-opener! (What did become of that young Moore fellow of WHU that Billy Lane mentioned?). I especially liked the bit telling punters in the South Stand to be careful with their cigarettes and matches as they'd had 'several small fires'!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Surely the first team were away to Rotherham that day. That's what your programme says anyway. West Ham weren't in the same division.
My first game was also 2 months earlier v Villa.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
60 years hard labour.

Well done Cadiz

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Just beat you all. 8 Nov 1958. 1-1 v Bristol Rovers.
Just checked up and apparently the gate was 22,000 which I find amazing.
I got a sore bum sitting on the barrier.

Surely the first team were away to Rotherham that day. That's what your programme says anyway. West Ham weren't in the same division.

So it was! I never noticed that, I just automatically thought if the home team were away the reserves would be playing the same team at home. I'm sure that's what used to happen, football then was only ever played at 3pm on a Saturday other than the Cup final. No floodlights or Sunday lunchtime games in those days!

Another thing I just noticed, in his notes Billy Lane praises Alan Grant for his performance in the previous reserves game. Alan Grant was the PE master at Hove Grammar if my memory serves (but it was 60 years ago). He once slapped me after I came last in a race!!!!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
So it was! I never noticed that, I just automatically thought if the home team were away the reserves would be playing the same team at home. I'm sure that's what used to happen, football then was only ever played at 3pm on a Saturday other than the Cup final. No floodlights or Sunday lunchtime games in those days!

Another thing I just noticed, in his notes Billy Lane praises Alan Grant for his performance in the previous reserves game. Alan Grant was the PE master at Hove Grammar if my memory serves (but it was 60 years ago). He once slapped me after I came last in a race!!!!

He was also a very good cricketer

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Just beat you all. 8 Nov 1958. 1-1 v Bristol Rovers.
Just checked up and apparently the gate was 22,000 which I find amazing.
I got a sore bum sitting on the barrier.

Page 1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here