Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Question Time In Brighton: 14th November 2019

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I'm glad this has popped up and said hello, again.

Why would a united army across Europe be such a bad thing?

We saw on Sunday evening the positive affects of a European/US army.
As a nation we could do without the expense of our ever diminishing armed forces.
The UK won't to be drawn into any conflict by Europe.
If Europe went to war 'we' are more than likely to join them.

I'm suggesting to see the downside.

You OBVIOUSLY know nothing about the military or have never served.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You seem to forget that people have been wanting to leave for a long time, it wasn’t just a spilt decision made within a few weeks leading up to the referendum.

.....and ain't that just the truth! Every new EU treaty/act/agreement our leaders signed us up to without any concern for the views of the electorate added a few million more to the people who wanted a referendum and to vote leave.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
**** sake man get a grip ,so you're happy to lose our identity and our armed forces to a central EU command base ,WTF !!!
Regards
DF

You OBVIOUSLY know nothing about the military or have never served.
Thank you both for your well thought out counter points.
You have caused me to see the opposite view and with that the error of my original post.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The benefits were there to see, you were just wilfully ignoring them, or maybe you just don’t watch political programmes?

So, if we voted remain there would be a compromise? We would be half in, half out? Or should it only be a compromise because we won?

EU elections before referendum = Leave won

EU referendum = Leave won

General Election after referendum = Around about 80% of voters voted for parties advocating for leaving the EU

EU elections after General Election = Leave won

Remainers only want another referendum because they think they can win, not because it’s good for democracy.

Well, I’m telling you now, Leave would win again.[/QUOTE

I have a politics degree and an economics a level and take an interest both and have done for the last 50 years. The arguments for leaving have not been laid out in a succinct manner nor are the comments that I have seen described anything tangible.

The compromise I would propose would be based on addressing both why leavers feel the need to leave and why remainders don't agree with that. So that might leave us in the EU but immigration from both the EU and from outside has to be reviewed based on solely economic benefit NOT petty nationalist / racial ideology. If we leave the EU I would like to see environmental laws and workers rights maintained and that we remained close to the EU. Cutting ourselves off from our nearest neighbours is politically and economically daft.

Regards the vote , had Cameron had any balls he would have just said the vote is too close and tried to do something about it. He panicked and that spread thru Parliament aid by Corbyn who wants to leave anyway.

I think you are right , the vote will go with leave and we will all reap the whirlwind . I am old enough to escape most of the damage I feel sorry for my kids and grandchildren.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Well, I’m sure there will be some negative effects in the short term, but in the long term (which is what we all really care about) it will be much better for us than staying in the EU.

I’ll also say there will be more negative effects if we stay in, the main one being that the EU economy is going down the shitter and has been for some time now.

I’m not northern, I’m from Southwick and we voted leave.

You seem to forget that people have been wanting to leave for a long time, it wasn’t just a spilt decision made within a few weeks leading up to the referendum.

We didn’t even have a vote to join the EU. It’s all a coordinated plan for Europe to become one nation with one army. That’s not what our ancestors fought for.

This.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The benefits were there to see, you were just wilfully ignoring them, or maybe you just don’t watch political programmes?

So, if we voted remain there would be a compromise? We would be half in, half out? Or should it only be a compromise because we won?

EU elections before referendum = Leave won

EU referendum = Leave won

General Election after referendum = Around about 80% of voters voted for parties advocating for leaving the EU

EU elections after General Election = Leave won

Remainers only want another referendum because they think they can win, not because it’s good for democracy.

Well, I’m telling you now, Leave would win again.[/QUOTE

I have a politics degree and an economics a level and take an interest both and have done for the last 50 years. The arguments for leaving have not been laid out in a succinct manner nor are the comments that I have seen described anything tangible.

The compromise I would propose would be based on addressing both why leavers feel the need to leave and why remainders don't agree with that. So that might leave us in the EU but immigration from both the EU and from outside has to be reviewed based on solely economic benefit NOT petty nationalist / racial ideology. If we leave the EU I would like to see environmental laws and workers rights maintained and that we remained close to the EU. Cutting ourselves off from our nearest neighbours is politically and economically daft.

Regards the vote , had Cameron had any balls he would have just said the vote is too close and tried to do something about it. He panicked and that spread thru Parliament aid by Corbyn who wants to leave anyway.

I think you are right , the vote will go with leave and we will all reap the whirlwind . I am old enough to escape most of the damage I feel sorry for my kids and grandchildren.

I agree but when Cameron went to the EU with some of the proposals that would have softened the demands for a leave vote he came back with his tail between his legs. I think seeing the lack of power and influence our own prime minister had with the EU was in some way a catalyst to the widely touted ‘take back control’ message. Don’t think the EU did themselves any favours there.

Whilst it may be unfounded immigration concern is causing a far right uprising across Europe and perhaps Cameron would have been better leading a call for reform with wider support than just waking in like a lone voice making demands

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Well, I’m sure there will be some negative effects in the short term, but in the long term (which is what we all really care about) it will be much better for us than staying in the EU.

I’ll also say there will be more negative effects if we stay in, the main one being that the EU economy is going down the shitter and has been for some time now.

I’m not northern, I’m from Southwick and we voted leave.

We didn’t even have a vote to join the EU. It’s all a coordinated plan for Europe to become one nation with one army. That’s not what our ancestors fought for.

You certainly seem sure about the future. Other, arguably more informed influencers, say there is no way we can predict what will happen in the short, medium or longer term. Does your confidence come from a predisposition to stick with your original view or is there any more substance to it than that?
I agree that there was a popular opinion amongst many to Leave long before the Referendum. You, however,use the generic term 'people' to describe Leave enthusiasts which overlooks the fact that 'people' of a different view did not want Brexit. You simply omit 48% of the 2016 voters; are they not 'people'?

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
You, however,use the generic term 'people' to describe Leave enthusiasts which overlooks the fact that 'people' of a different view did not want Brexit. You simply omit 48% of the 2016 voters; are they not 'people'?

He’s not saying that at all. He said that people wanted Brexit before there was any talk of a referendum. They did. It’s a fact. I was one of those people. He’s not suggesting that those who didn’t weren’t people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here