Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Chicken Run......

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who actually remembers our ‘Chicken Run’ with transfers to the big boys area.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Of course I remember it!
When I started watching the Albion in 1962, admission to the Chicken Run ( East Terrace , to you young ‘uns) was I shilling (5p), and a transfer to the North Stand or South Stand could be had for sixpence (21/2 p)

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Used to stand there with my dad and his mates hoping we would get there early enough to get a place with a better view for a kid. Then later on went back there after I found I didnt really like the North.

Was upset when part of it started getting used for away fans after the corner was closed.

My two uncles in the east stand early 1930's. The chicken run was a fenced off area at the bottom of the east terrace on the half way line.

Attachments

• IMG_20191106_185559.jpg
    IMG_20191106_185559.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 453

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Only ever did it three times.

Once in 1979, my first ever Albion game on my 12th birthday, my late Dad took me to watch us play Liverpool.

Then again vs Liverpool, in the 91 FA cup replay game. I couldn’t get a ticket for the North Stand, so for the one and only time in my life, went in amongst the away fans and tried to play it neutral during that seesaw 2-3 game.

Finally, the boycotted game against Mansfield, when the East Stand entrances were broken into and we all flooded into the ground midway through the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
C.1971-'72... We'd often stand in front of the West Stand first half, or N West corner, then walk around via the North Stand through East Terrace to the S E Cornrr for the second half. That is providing Albion were attacking South Goal second half.
We saw some great goals that way.

Of course I remember it!
When I started watching the Albion in 1962, admission to the Chicken Run ( East Terrace , to you young ‘uns) was I shilling (5p), and a transfer to the North Stand or South Stand could be had for sixpence (21/2 p)
Are those child prices because it was still 6d in 1969 (shilling for adults). East Terrace admission was 2s/4s, North Stand was 2s 6d/5s.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Of course I remember it!

We used to pay sixpence as well as kids but it went up to a shilling. (There was uproar) It was about 15p to get in on the east at around the time of decimalisation and 13p return from Worthing to Hove on the train. I can’t remember the cost of a programme although it seemed good value what with the Football League Review in it.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
The night we had a full house on an evening game against Sheffield Wednesday which we won 3-2 after going 1-0 down in the 1st minute. We needed the win to get promotion , someone had a small ladder and we climbed over the Chicken Run wall which was covered on the top with bits of broken glass. A policeman saw me but still helped me in.
Can someone give me the year as I've forgotten

Only ever did it three times.

Once in 1979, my first ever Albion game on my 12th birthday, my late Dad took me to watch us play Liverpool.

Then again vs Liverpool, in the 91 FA cup replay game. I couldn’t get a ticket for the North Stand, so for the one and only time in my life, went in amongst the away fans and tried to play it neutral during that seesaw 2-3 game.

Finally, the boycotted game against Mansfield, when the East Stand entrances were broken into and we all flooded into the ground midway through the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure that replay was all-ticket because I was in the North Stand having come down from Mansfield, so there wouldn't have been time to post tickets. I still remember the pandemonium when we went 2-1 up in extra time, jumping up and down on the steps with a steward, arms around each other's shoulders!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here