Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Climate change to be on schools itinerary.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Italy to become first country to make learning about climate change compulsory for school students.

Education Minister Lorenzo Fioramonti, of the anti-establishment Five Star Movement, said all public schools will include about 33 hours a year in their curricula to study issues linked to climate change.

The lessons will be built into existing civics classes, which will have an "environmentalist footprint" from September 2020, Vincenzo Cramarossa, Fioramonti's spokesman, told CNN.

I think this is a great idea and a bold step to educate the future residents of our planet.
Might give the over educated eggheads over here something to think on....... :)

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/06/europe/italy-climate-change-school-intl-scli-scn/index.html

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Great idea! About 20 years too late though [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My kids seem pretty aware, been teaching their grandparents a thing or too...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Rain or Shine, let's hope the schools can Find The Time for this.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not America. Only Trump. That **** will be in jail, or at least in terminal disgrace, soon enough, after which USA can hopefully get back on track and rejoin the grown-ups at the table
He's a complete liability I'm amazed he hasn't been taken out by now. Too much power I guess

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Will it be straight after Religion ?
Religion ?
Now there’s a thing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not America. Only Trump. That **** will be in jail, or at least in terminal disgrace, soon enough, after which USA can hopefully get back on track and rejoin the grown-ups at the table

Was the US ever on track with climate change?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Are they going to be told that Germany is a massive polluter still building coal-fired power stations?

No longer. On 26 January 2019, a group of federal and state leaders as well as industry representatives, environmentalists, and scientists made an agreement to close all 84 coal plants in the country by 2038. The move is projected to cost €40 billion in compensation alone to closed businesses. Coal was used to generate almost 40% of the country's electricity in 2018 and is expected to be replaced by renewable energy. 24 coal plants are planned to be closed by 2022 with all but 8 closed by 2030.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No longer. On 26 January 2019, a group of federal and state leaders as well as industry representatives, environmentalists, and scientists made an agreement to close all 84 coal plants in the country by 2038. The move is projected to cost €40 billion in compensation alone to closed businesses. Coal was used to generate almost 40% of the country's electricity in 2018 and is expected to be replaced by renewable energy. 24 coal plants are planned to be closed by 2022 with all but 8 closed by 2030.

Well, yes, 'longer', The plan''s great, like Britain to be carbon neutral by 2050, but currently they're still burning it and it's the greatest source of electrical power. Also it's a huge employer. That date may well slip (like ours probably will)

As an aside I wonder if the climate change lessons will praise Margaret Thatcher as a visionary heroine of the Green movement? Single-handedly she closed down all our dreadful coal mines ignoring all the Luddites who wanted to go on digging it out of the ground and burning it. Also she did an immense amount of environmental good by shutting down vast swathes of the steel industry and many other toxic factories, all this in the teeth of fierce opposition from people who weren't as envirionmentally far-sighted as herself.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Better late than never,but a bit like bolting the stable door.....

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
As an aside I wonder if the climate change lessons will praise Margaret Thatcher as a visionary heroine of the Green movement? Single-handedly she closed down all our dreadful coal mines ignoring all the Luddites who wanted to go on digging it out of the ground and burning it. Also she did an immense amount of environmental good by shutting down vast swathes of the steel industry and many other toxic factories, all this in the teeth of fierce opposition from people who weren't as envirionmentally far-sighted as herself.

Thatcher shutting down the mines was more to do with freeing our energy supply from the grip of the unions rather than environmental concerns. However I grant you it has been a happy consequence when viewed with a bit of hindsight.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Will it be straight after Religion ?
Religion ?
Now there’s a thing.

Strange indeed, but probably important for kids to be taught about religion in order to understand why the world is the way it is. Of course I'm not advocating indoctrinating them, just informing them what it's all about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here