Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Turkeys for Christmas

wealdgull

NSC Patreon
Dec 7, 2017
Not another politics thread, and perhaps a little early, but I'm after suggestions from the hive mind as to where to purchase a good quality free-range turkey for this Christmas, preferably in East Sussex so I can pick it up easily.

My traditional shop (ordered from there for the past dozen years) let me down last year so I need to find somewhere new.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wickendens in Hangleton always do decent birds. The hampers are great as well. I believe they deliver too.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was worried this was another Brexit thread.

edit: just read the OP and see he pre-empted my comment

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Bit disappointed we haven't had the usual contribution yet along the lines of;

I hate Turkey it is too dry I always have something else for Christmas (translated as I once bought a 20lb frozen turkey in Iceland for £6.50 and it was a bit crap, when I overcooked it.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

I hate Turkey it is too dry I always have something else for Christmas (translated as I once bought a 20lb frozen turkey in Iceland for £6.50 and it was a bit crap, when I overcooked it.

I don’t think Christmas Dinner is worth the faff so I order a massive curry on the way back from the pub.

(And Turkey is crap.)

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

Exactly. Turkey is superb when cooked properly using quality ingredients, rested long enough and carved correctly. None of this thin slice across the breast nonsense. All this does is mean the first slice gets all the skin and because the meat is on the outside of the bird it won't be as moist and flavoursome as a slice further in. Best way is to remove the entire breast and then carve thick slices from outside to in. Every slice will then be succulent and have a piece of the skin.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I'd recommend Turner's Butchers in Ringmer. I always get my turkey from there and the quality is always really good.
Their meat is all locally sourced and free range. The owner is also an Albion fan.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I agree. Soak it in a spiced brine for 2 days before you cook it, very difficult to make it dry unless you really over do it. :thumbsup:

For the OP, I've always found R.C.Secker on Richardson Road in Hove great for their Turkeys, sausages, bacon and meat in general.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here