Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This is utterly ridiculous

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I'm sorry, I know the rule states A player is in an offside position if any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent. But FFS this is beyond ridiculous. I have always wanted VAR, but not when it is being used like this. What is happening here are the rules are being applied with a degree of accuracy the writers of the rules could have never imagined possible. Offside was not not introduced to prevent a players underarm being in front of another's players knee. VAR is taking the rules out of the context they were designed for

var.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, applying too much precision to something that needs a margin. There have been studies already that show it’s impossible to pinpoint the exact position of the ‘offside’ player as the ball is played because the player can move a certain distance whilst the ball is in contact with the players foot........

Using the above example, I think the ‘offside’ line needs to be thicker (equating to maybe a foot/18 inches) and unless the player has something ahead of that then it’s not deemed ‘clear and obvious’ so not called offside.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I'm sorry, I know the rule states A player is in an offside position if any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent. But FFS this is beyond ridiculous. I have always wanted VAR, but not when it is being used like this. What is happening here are the rules are being applied with a degree of accuracy the writers of the rules could have never imagined possible. Offside was not not introduced to prevent a players underarm being in front of another's players knee. VAR is taking the rules out of the context they were designed for

View attachment 116875

This one was flagged as offside by the lino, are you saying that VAR should have overturned the decision and awarded the goal?

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Yep, applying too much precision to something that needs a margin. There have been studies already that show it’s impossible to pinpoint the exact position of the ‘offside’ player as the ball is played because the player can move a certain distance whilst the ball is in contact with the players foot........

Using the above example, I think the ‘offside’ line needs to be thicker (equating to maybe a foot/18 inches) and unless the player has something ahead of that then it’s not deemed ‘clear and obvious’ so not called offside.

There should also be a factor for video frames. I think they’re using normal TV footage which will probably be 60 frames per second, possibly 120.
I’d imagine most players can run a 11-12sec 100m which is about 9m/sec so on that logic a player could move minimum of 7.5cm in a frame.
How can they be sure the frame they pick is exactly the one the player kicked the ball.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If you have the technology you have to be exact, if you start having margins where does that end up. The answer is stay onside.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This one was flagged as offside by the lino, are you saying that VAR should have overturned the decision and awarded the goal?

Of course. If var is in operation then it has to be utilised. Otherwise why check if the lino has flagged, simply go with his decision without question.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not a 'clear and obvious' error by the lino, so stay with the onfield decision perhaps? Basically the 'umpires call' equivalent in cricket

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Stumpy Tim

If you have the technology you have to be exact, if you start having margins where does that end up. The answer is stay onside.

Works with cricket and umpires call.

Personally I would say that it should stay with the lino´s call unless VAR shows it to be wrong with the eye´s view (give VAR 5 seconds to change the decision if obvious) - forget these stupid lines

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I thought linesmen were not meant to give offside for really marginal decisions like this? I mean he is technically right although Firmino has not gained any advantage here as you can’t score with your arm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it carries on like this (which it won't) we might see the game changing.

Liverpool fella still would have scored if BOTH Villa defenders were playing him fully onside.
He didn't need to be in a position that warranted any doubt.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This would be the easiest part of VAR to sort out.

Introduce 'Assistant Referees call'. If the assistant referee keeps his flag down and any part of the attackers and defenders bodies overlap, regardless of who is in front, he is onside. If the flag goes up, the attacker has to be behind the defender as normal, or he is offside.

Simples

Someone please send this to the FA

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

As Dazzer has said above, I also don't believe the technology is accurate.
The idiots using it have literally just made up the armpit rule. How can you even tell where his armpit begins under his baggy shirt? They're making judgements based on millimeter accuracy but guessing the parameters that it's based on.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Offsides should be electronically linked to the pacemaker thing on their backs, electronic and immediate, could also give the offender a sharp shock just to let him know!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

There's the problem though, they're treating the offsides as exact, which they're clearly not. Until you have a sensor in the ball to know precisely when it has been played, cameras that move to keep in line with the player most likely to receive the ball and therefore be able to accurately show the armpit line and then sensors on each player to show where his armpit is then it's not exact. Problem right now is that we draw a couple of lines across the pitch timed by someone guessing when the ball has been played and fans assume that as 'exact'.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
There's the problem though, they're treating the offsides as exact, which they're clearly not. Until you have a sensor in the ball to know precisely when it has been played, cameras that move to keep in line with the player most likely to receive the ball and therefore be able to accurately show the armpit line and then sensors on each player to show where his armpit is then it's not exact. Problem right now is that we draw a couple of lines across the pitch timed by someone guessing when the ball has been played and fans assume that as 'exact'.

Don't get so close to offside to be caught, learn the lessons.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why not just ditch the offside rule?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Of course. If var is in operation then it has to be utilised. Otherwise why check if the lino has flagged, simply go with his decision without question.

The linesman gave offside. VAR reviewed and found the linesman to be marginally correct. The OP was saying that the tightness makes calling it offside ridiculous, so therefore I was asking if the OP would like VAR to overrule the linesman and award a goal even although marginally the linesman was correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here