Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cardiff City face Fifa transfer ban over fee dispute

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Cardiff City face a three-window transfer ban if they fail to pay Nantes the first instalment of the £15m fee for striker Emiliano Sala.

Sala, 28, died in a plane crash in January while travelling from France to join his new club.

Fifa has released the full reasons for its September ruling ordering Cardiff to pay the first 6m euros (£5.3m).

Cardiff will lodge an appeal against the decision in the next two weeks to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The Championship club have argued they were not liable for any of the fee because the Argentine was not officially their player when he died.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Cardiff will surely lose in CAS

Then presumably they will have to pay the money, Nantes could sue for it, even if the football authorities can't make them do it. That combined with the terrible reputational damage will mean they will have to swallow it up. Best to do it while they have some parachute money

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Show some class Cardiff, you shitebirds.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In the lack of class stakes it even beats Scotland Rugby Union threatening to sue World Rugby for considering not playing a game whilst there was a tornado on.

el punal

Had Sala actually signed on the dotted line before his tragic demise? If so then surely he is/was a Cardiff player and therefore Nantes should receive whatever is owed to them despite the awful circumstances. Whatever the outcome no-one will come out this with a less than grubby reputation.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I appreciate I'm probably being a snowflake left wefty millennial n all, but wouldn't it be 'nice' just to call it quits in this awful scenario.

Nantes paid €1m for him in 2015, over a 5 year period. As I understand it, his book debt value as an asset would be minimal at the time of the transfer as you would normally depreciate the asset value over the initial contract perod. Sure, Nantes are missing out on cash owed but to me this all feels so grubby in the circumstances.

Maybe this is why I don't run a business.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I appreciate I'm probably being a snowflake left wefty millennial n all, but wouldn't it be 'nice' just to call it quits in this awful scenario.

Nantes paid €1m for him in 2015, over a 5 year period. As I understand it, his book debt value as an asset would be minimal at the time of the transfer as you would normally depreciate the asset value over the initial contract perod. Sure, Nantes are missing out on cash owed but to me this all feels so grubby in the circumstances.

So you think Cardiff shouldn’t have to pay and Nantes should just leave it there?

I have a vague recollection (happy to be told I’m wrong on this) that Nantes are being chased for a sell on percentage from the club they bought him off, I think Bordeaux

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

it would be nice wouldn't it. I'm amazed they cant strike a deal of some sort.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Cardiff will surely lose in CAS

Then presumably they will have to pay the money, Nantes could sue for it, even if the football authorities can't make them do it. That combined with the terrible reputational damage will mean they will have to swallow it up. Best to do it while they have some parachute money

Cardiff, bad reputation - that's almost funny!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Considering Cardiff trousered around £200m its shameful what they are doing IMO.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I suppose it’s because Nantes feel (quite rightly from what I’ve read) that the transfer was legally concluded and they are entitled to the payment in full. Moreover as they are legally claiming he wasn’t their player and FIFA agree, they can’t really claim for this loss on their insurance.

Cardiff, as per the incredibly long thread somewhere on this board, can claim this off their key person insurance, (or they can’t because they probably haven’t set it up but that’s their fault).

This could all go the other way at CAS. I’d be surprised though.

My guess is that Cardiff are hoping Nantes will buckle for some sort of settlement as they can less bear the risks and costs of the lawsuit.

Whatever happens, anyone who thinks class and nicety might come into this hasn't been paying any attention to football over the last 30 years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it's a completely horrific situation where anyone handing over any money regarding a dead footballer feels awful, whoever legally is in the right.

Whilst not disagreeing with you, yep I can see that you should not be running a BIG business. A small one, yeah just fine. Big business is the home of no ethics other than shafting wherever possible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I thought you were going to say:-

'wouldn't it be nice if Cardiff honoured their commitment'.

To which the answer is - 'yes it bloody well would and is something they should have done instantly'.

Perhaps they could have paid up while hoovering up every last ounce of grief chasing sympathy, that they were actively whoring themselves in front of.

I'd be embarrassed to be an Albion fan if Mr Tony handled such an event in as cold, calculating, snidey way had The Tan Man at Cardiff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think it's a completely horrific situation where anyone handing over any money regarding a dead footballer feels awful, whoever legally is in the right.

Alternatively, split it down the middle and Cardiff pay half of the agreed fee!!!

Why should Cardiff not do the honorable thing. They've made it grubby by trying to get out of the deal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Alternatively, split it down the middle and Cardiff pay half of the agreed fee!!!

Why should Cardiff not do the honorable thing. They've made it grubby by trying to get out of the deal.

I agree. Cardiff are trying to say he wasn't officially their player, but he had signed the contract with them, so they don't stand a chance in court, imo.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They get parachute payments so pay up

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Championship club have argued they were not liable for any of the fee because the Argentine was not officially their player when he died.
"Cardiff City Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Emiliano Sala from FC Nantes, for an undisclosed club record fee, subject to international clearance."

Had the international clearance been given?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
0A414A85-541A-4131-81A2-67BEC6964F84.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here