Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our squad depth is utterly incredible right now

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
When you compare our squad to where we were when first promoted, it’s an astonishing sight to see.

We had the following itching to come off the bench the past few weeks:

- Solly
- Bissouma
- Mooy
- AJ
- The legend that is Glenn Murray
- Duffy
- Trossard
- Gross
- The Greyhound

And then you have some of the above who can’t even get onto the bench some weeks!

To push things further we also have the following talents outside the club (but still technically on our books, and recently the first 2 called out by Mr Bloom as possible 1st teamers in the future):

- Macallister
- Percy Tau
- Andone
- Knocky

And ones to seriously watch next year:

- Ben White
- Moloumby

And to cap it off we also have one of the most under rated forward thinking managers in Europe right now.

Drink it up folks, this is an amazing time to be an Albion fan, the above is testament to the forward thinking and outside the box nouse of; Dan Ashworth, Paul Barber and of course TB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As is customary:-

'It's almost as if there's a plan'.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
When you say 'forward thinking', does that include Andone and Locadia???

I think in the chaos that is football it’s unreasonable to expect every single transfer to work out.

Most here would agree Andone’s talent is not in question. Unfortunately he has a few screws loose.

The ones that utterly flopped are AJ and Locadia.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think in the chaos that is football it’s unreasonable to expect every single transfer to work out.

Most here would agree Andone’s talent is not in question. Unfortunately he has a few screws loose.

:lolol:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Until Potter ships him out we can't write off AJ. It's not like he's been averse to getting shot of players he doesn't want around.
Though yes so far a flop.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As is customary:-

'It's almost as if there's a plan'.

At the start of the season, TB gave this interview where he had us as a stable top 10 club and that's what he's been working towards since he took over 10 years ago.

What a great time to be an Albion fan with such an excellent Chairman and the board he put together to make this.

Reminds me of Palarse and their plan.

Oh.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
When you compare our squad to where we were when first promoted, it’s an astonishing sight to see.

- Solly
- Bissouma
- Mooy
- AJ
- Duffy
- Trossard
- Gross
- The Greyhound

And then you have some of the above who can’t even get onto the bench some weeks!

To push things further we also have the following talents outside the club (but still technically on our books, and recently the first 2 called out by Mr Bloom as possible 1st teamers in the future):

- Macallister
- Percy Tau
- Andone
- Knocky

- Ben White
- Moloumby

And to cap it off we also have one of the most under rated forward thinking managers in Europe right now.

Drink it up folks, this is an amazing time to be an Albion fan, the above is testament to the forward thinking and outside the box nouse of; Dan Ashworth, Paul Barber and of course TB.

This isn’t taking into account that Potter has impressed to such an extent that Bloom will surely let him have access to the chequebook in the windows if he wants it.
It’s also isn’t taking there are also plenty of others on loan, not mentioned, who we will have to make a decision on, like Walton, Sanchez, Gyokeres, Ostigard, Mlakar
It’s also not taking into account Potter willingness to promote from the u23s. The likes of Roberts, Cochrane, Baluta, Gwargis and Richards are all playing very well.

I believe we are going to have a massive clear out and a lot of senior players will leave, many of these will be ones we don’t expect to leave.

I will say this though. I believe Potter will give an opportunity to any player who wants to stay and fight for their place to show that they can adapt their game or adapt their behaviour or raise their standards. He’s pragmatic, open minded and won’t bear a grudge.

The consequence of this is that although several who we expect to stay will leave, one or two we expect to leave will stay and probably flourish.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was discussing this with a friend on the train this morning. With the depth of squad we have and the prospect of further players rising up through the academy, I'd be intrigued of we somehow managed to get a European berth in the next couple of seasons; we have such depth already, and if we did get a chance it would allow the loanees to get some proper 1st team action.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

- Solly
- Bissouma
- Mooy
- AJ
- Duffy
- Trossard
- Gross
- The Greyhound

- Macallister
- Percy Tau
- Andone
- Knocky

- Ben White
- Moloumby

Incorrect. The club and Potter ****ed up royally. They let Knocky, Andone and Locadia go out on loan with literally no thought or contingency in place, and soon after the totally unnecessary sacking of Chris Hughton. I know, because I read it on here.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Incorrect. The club and Potter ****ed up royally. They let Knocky, Andone and Locadia go out on loan with literally no thought or contingency in place, and soon after the totally unnecessary sacking of Chris Hughton. I know, because I read it on here.

And they purchased Tau, Arce and Mc Allister with no intention of ever playing them. Madness!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Until Potter ships him out we can't write off AJ. It's not like he's been averse to getting shot of players he doesn't want around.
Though yes so far a flop.

I like to think of AJ as being a bit like the Barry from Eastenders character played by Shaun Williamson in 'Extras.'

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I believe we are going to have a massive clear out and a lot of senior players will leave, many of these will be ones we don’t expect to leave.

I will say this though. I believe Potter will give an opportunity to any player who wants to stay and fight for their place to show that they can adapt their game or adapt their behaviour or raise their standards. He’s pragmatic, open minded and won’t bear a grudge.

The consequence of this is that although several who we expect to stay will leave, one or two we expect to leave will stay and probably flourish.

Agree. As much as it’s well and good for us to have squad depth, if you’re Solly March, say, one of our best players past few years, suddenly stuck on the bench each week.. well, you wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to go else where to play.

I suspect (hope) that Glenn will stay on as a coach, much like Bruno.

And with how well Alzate and Connolly have taken to Premier League football it’s a near certainty we’ll see some more youngsters given a chance next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here