Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] High mileage cars

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm looking at trading in my current car and getting a newer car. There are seemingly some good bargains out there on cars that are only a few years old but with high mileage e.g 100k+. Back in the early 90's I was told not to touch a vehicle with such a high figure but with modern technology and better performance am I right in thinking that 100k+ is no big deal these days? If so, what pitfalls and maintenance issues should I look out for if I decide to take the plunge? Cheers.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Just get a documented full service history and check the mot history (online) including all advisories. Also check that High mileage motors with cam belts have had them replaced.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I would never buy a car that has done 100k or more. Plenty of 2nd hand cars about. Just take your time.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Just get a documented full service history and check the mot history (online) including all advisories. Also check that High mileage motors with cam belts have had them replaced.

Thank you. Ironically, a car I am looking at had its cambelt done in June. Thanks for the advice.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I would never buy a car that has done 100k or more. Plenty of 2nd hand cars about. Just take your time.

That was my initial feeling ( hence the thread) but my feeling was based on advice given over 25 years ago. The savings on a car only a couple of years old but with high mileage is very tempting.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If it's a 4 litre V8, 100,000 is nothing.

If it's a 3 cylinder 1.0 then the mileage may be a little bit high.

Hope this helps

There are stages in between :wink:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
That was my initial feeling ( hence the thread) but my feeling was based on advice given over 25 years ago. The savings on a car only a couple of years old but with high mileage is very tempting.

Don't rule our ebay. I have brought some good 2nd hand motors from there at a fair price.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Actually, no I'll delete that. Enough is enough.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I bought a 130k on the clock 2013 van nearly a couple of years ago now. I just made myself more comfy with it by paying the RAC to do a thorough check on it on day of purchase befpre I parted with any money. It's been great and feels like new still. I do around 400 miles per week too.
I would do the same again if in the same circumstance next time around.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I bought a 130k on the clock 2013 van nearly a couple of years ago now. I just made myself more comfy with it by paying the RAC to do a thorough check on it on day of purchase befpre I parted with any money. It's been great and feels like new still. I do around 400 miles per week too.
I would do the same again if in the same circumstance next time around.

Thank you. As I don't know a mechanic I was thinking of using The AA as I am a member. It will be money well spent I believe.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If it's a 4 litre V8, 100,000 is nothing.

If it's a 3 cylinder 1.0 then the mileage may be a little bit high.

Hope this helps

There are stages in between :wink:

Absolutely spot on words above. I'm currently looking at a 2015 car - a 3.0 V6 Diesel with 110k on the clock. It's half the price of one with 60k on the clock, yet is far from half the car. A 6-cylinder car is less strained. An 8-cylinder even less so.

I'd probably get a good, reliable mechanic to do a check on it rather than a costly AA check. The AA will always cover their arses and highlight everything - including what you should expect from a 100k mile car, which will make it sound like a total wreck, and you'll walk away having wasted your money.

The last time I bought a fairly high mileage car I went down to the local Main Dealer (of the brand I was looking at) and asked the service department if the head mechanic fancied coming to look at a car with me for £150 cash. They told me it would be purely between myself and a man who was out of work in his own time, but the guy was a godsend. I knocked £5k off the car. (Okay, it was up at £60k in fairness) - but it was a smart move. The mechanic knew every fault on the car and what to look for, even the factory recalls!!

I always say "think outside of the box" to my kids. :smokin:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would have no problem buying a second hand German car with 100k+ on the clock if it had a full service history, cam belt OK and in good shape bodywork wise.
I had a BMW 328 years ago from new, I sold it on 120,000 and it was as good as the day I got it.
The straight 6 engine was a thing of beauty.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I picked up a Volvo V50 3 years ago with 97k on the clock and full service history. It’s the 1.6D model, road tax is free and I get around 50mpg, better on a long run if I keep it at 70. It’s fully loaded with heated leather seats, Bluetooth, satnav, blah blah blah. I do around 5k a year and plan to keep it for another 3 years, by which time it will be 10 years old and mileage will be around 120k. It’s been great and I would get a newer one, if they did one. The V60 is not suitable, so I have 3 years to potentially research a new car. These days, 100k on the right car is nothing

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
High milers when its covered over a short period really isn't an issue. I was in a Merc from Gatwick last week for 300k on it and it less than 3 years old.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
High milers when its covered over a short period really isn't an issue. I was in a Merc from Gatwick last week for 300k on it and it less than 3 years old.

:eek: Wow, just goes to show that if you look after your vehicle it can go on and on and....

Jul 7, 2003
The guys who provide our work 'taxi' service usually get 200k plus miles out of their cars before changing. A lot of their work is between Brighton and Heathrow so the mile stack up really quickly doing that six days a week. They have had a couple of Volvo estates, Skoda Superbs and Mercs so not just the German makes.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The wear is in the RPM of the engine and the quality / age of the engine oil & filter.

A diesel driven sensibly will barely exceed 2-3k RPM and if the oil and filter is changed annually or 20k will run for a very long time before wear causes failure.

As [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] says, a petrol 1-litre that's been worked hard by a youngster who has skipped a couple of oil change services - I'd keep well clear.

Engine lubricant over the last 20 years has advanced significantly to ensure the moving metal parts inside continue to do so - that's why a decent litre of engine oil is now > £10

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I picked up a Volvo V50 3 years ago with 97k on the clock and full service history. It’s the 1.6D model, road tax is free and I get around 50mpg, better on a long run if I keep it at 70. It’s fully loaded with heated leather seats, Bluetooth, satnav, blah blah blah. I do around 5k a year and plan to keep it for another 3 years, by which time it will be 10 years old and mileage will be around 120k. It’s been great and I would get a newer one, if they did one. The V60 is not suitable, so I have 3 years to potentially research a new car. These days, 100k on the right car is nothing

I’m Volvo loyal these days. Had 3 and my current is 12 yrs old with 116k on clock. Had it for half that. Hi spec like yours and only had couple of worn out replacement part issues. Mate owns on garage as says be good for 200k at least! Love it. Beautiful engineering and so comfortable we’ve called all of them ‘the sofa.’

Dec 29, 2011
100k is normal for an older car in the states, aus, NZ etc. The common consensus here is you will get 300-400km out of a car. It shouldn't be much different in the UK so I'd say go for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here