Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Last Season after 11 games

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
We had 14 points after 11 games this time last year and were generally quite happy with how things were going.

https://www.premierleague.com/match/38409

The football is a lot more entertaining this year and much less reliance on one player for the goals but all in all, a decent position to be in so far and as long as we don't capitulate at the turn of the year we will be fine.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We had 14 points after 11 games this time last year and were generally quite happy with how things were going.

The football is a lot more entertaining this year and much less reliance on one player for the goals but all in all, a decent position to be in so far and as long as we don't capitulate at the turn of the year we will be fine.

Think we had a period of 3 wins in 23 games up to the end of last season. I don’t think there is a cat in hells chance of us being that poor this season................

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

Interesting to see that the lower teams in the division appear to have far more points this season than last... this being a bi-product of how poorly some of the perceived big 6 are playing.

Possible that the amount of points required to stay up will be more than usual...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Really? We had just won three on the bounce but in all of those we had massive luck and in each, probably didn't even deserve a point. This year we have had three home games where we have deserved far more, WHU, Soton and Burnley.

However, I agree with what I think is your general sentiment in that we are far happier this season.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Interesting to see that the lower teams in the division appear to have far more points this season than last... this being a bi-product of how poorly some of the perceived big 6 are playing.

Possible that the amount of points required to stay up will be more than usual...

Could also be that the lower teams are playing better in general. And also the number of draws is less. With less draws combined the two competing teams are awarded 3 points instead of a combined 2 points.

larus

I was thinking similar thoughts yesterday (in regards to the points required to stay up this year). Then I looked at Watford and the Improvements they will need to make to reach that target. Let’s assume that 40 points is this years target.

They are on 5 points after 11 games, so they need 35 points from 27 games, which equates to 1.29 points per game. This 1.29 points per game is the equivalent of 50 points over a full season.

Yes, I know it’s early days, but a few more games for them (and Norwich) could make this a real challenge.

On the plus side, this season there doesn’t appear to be such a huge gulf between the big-6 and the others (Liverpool are the exception so far).

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was thinking similar thoughts yesterday (in regards to the points required to stay up this year). Then I looked at Watford and the Improvements they will need to make to reach that target. Let’s assume that 40 points is this years target.

They are on 5 points after 11 games, so they need 35 points from 27 games, which equates to 1.29 points per game. This 1.29 points per game is the equivalent of 50 points over a full season.

Yes, I know it’s early days, but a few more games for them (and Norwich) could make this a real challenge.

On the plus side, this season there doesn’t appear to be such a huge gulf between the big-6 and the others (Liverpool are the exception so far).

I think Citeh and Chelsea look very impressive. Citeh will probably go on to win virtually every PL match, as they usually do.

But Arsenal, Spurs and ManU are all in real danger of missing out on CL places. It wouldn’t surprise me if big money is spent in January on European ‘names’.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

50 points is exactly how many they got last season, so not impossible.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Palace had a terrible start last season, but in the end finished comfortably away from the relegation zone.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really? We had just won three on the bounce but in all of those we had massive luck and in each, probably didn't even deserve a point. This year we have had three home games where we have deserved far more, WHU, Soton and Burnley.

However, I agree with what I think is your general sentiment in that we are far happier this season.

CH openly admitted we’d been outplayed in those three wins.

This season’s on another (better) level.

larus

I think Citeh and Chelsea look very impressive. Citeh will probably go on to win virtually every PL match, as they usually do.

But Arsenal, Spurs and ManU are all in real danger of missing out on CL places. It wouldn’t surprise me if big money is spent in January on European ‘names’.

I agree. Liverpool have scraped a few wins recently too, so maybe they might get caught a bit by City and/or Chelsea. I wonder if Leicester will Keep up the pace with the others

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree. Liverpool have scraped a few wins recently too, so maybe they might get caught a bit by City and/or Chelsea. I wonder if Leicester will Keep up the pace with the others

Citeh will win the league, I can see this going for a few seasons yet. Injuries barely affect them. Until ManU and/or Chelsea up the ante on spending.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Last year we deserved about 6 of those points. This year probably a few more than we have got. However We’ve played all of the bottom 8 this season of our 11 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
4 main differences this season

- there is a general feeling we have deserved to have more points than we have. Last season it felt we had been a bit fortunate with some of those points

- this season we have a realistic chance of points on the road

- the players seem much more natural and bought into this way of playing

- the football as a spectacle is light years ahead

There is plenty to be positive about

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Last year it felt like we had to do EVERYTHING in our power to scrape a well deserved win.

This year we are winning games and rightfully so. The weekend was an a perfect example. Just keep patient, keep playing and you just knew the goal would come.

I feel like we have less points than we deserve so far. I never felt like that last season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Amen to all the above.

It’s just so damn refreshing to finally have a manager willing to have a go in every match. Bless CH, but it was utterly demoralising for us (and surely the players) to basically write off every single away game.

We go to Old Trafford next week, with a team and coach who are plotting to WIN. This attitude alone gives us the chance for more points come end of the season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very happy with this season so far (who wouldn't be? - no need to answer that!), but let's not completely re-write history with regard to last year. At this point we had one point less, and a slightly worse GD. Yes, 1-0 wins where we had nicked the pots, it's true - but there was the feeling that it was a good side that could grind out results, even when not playing well. On the whole we were pretty content - there were a few moans (but not many) about the style, but many people remembered moaning about Mike Bailey's team and what happened then so kept stum. We weren't going to make that mistake again!

Out of interest, in terms of changes, only three players who started match 11 against Everton last season kept their places to start against Norwich on Saturday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As posted elsewhere...

In our first season in the Premier League, 2017-18, we were also in 8th place on 15 points after our first 11 fixtures, having beaten Swansea away on 4th November.

We didn't win again until 23rd December - a 1-0 home win over Watford. Heading into that game, we'd dropped into 13th place.

We then went win-less until 3rd February, meaning we'd picked up one win in our preceding 14 fixtures.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last year it felt like we had to do EVERYTHING in our power to scrape a well deserved win.

This year we are winning games and rightfully so. The weekend was an a perfect example. Just keep patient, keep playing and you just knew the goal would come.

I feel like we have less points than we deserve so far. I never felt like that last season.

Good point.......I never got worried on Saturday, it just felt as though we would find a way to score eventually and once we had, a second was going to come as well to close the game out. Add that to the Everton win, when we had 5 players in their box on 94 mins at 2-2, and the near-demolitions of Watford and Spurs and it’s clear we can win in very differing circumstances.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here