Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Survivalism

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I am quite intrigued by this and wondered what others thought.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/ne...-dawe-survival-cambridgeshire-brexit-17120594

Basically in this country, we view survivalism as defecating in the woods, whilst eating roots and rodents for a week. In the US and other parts of the world, where it is possible to get truly remote, it is viewed as something else, preparing for the break down of society. Despite a Hollywood obsession with this and road trips, it really hasn't caught on as a thing here, I thought.

I am not trying to make a big political point here, this guy is both running a business and is a Brexit Party candidate. In my glass half full world, everything will be okay as long as sufficient people are prepared to pay into society. If things go seriously wrong, I am not sure I would be prepared to hole myself up on a farm in Cambridgeshire and take pot shots at strangers, looking for somewhere safe to sleep and a meal. This is definitely an island perspective. I have spent quite a long time arguing over this and gun control with Americans and I can understand perfectly why in a society with an infinite number of firearms, it is difficult and maybe not wise to opt out. Also that given the scale of the place, you can live off grid at some scale, without bringing yourself to anyone's attention. I just don't think it can work here and I suspect the odds are against it happening.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I am quite intrigued by this and wondered what others thought.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/ne...-dawe-survival-cambridgeshire-brexit-17120594

Basically in this country, we view survivalism as defecating in the woods, whilst eating roots and rodents for a week. In the US and other parts of the world, where it is possible to get truly remote, it is viewed as something else, preparing for the break down of society. Despite a Hollywood obsession with this and road trips, it really hasn't caught on as a thing here, I thought.

I am not trying to make a big political point here, this guy is both running a business and is a Brexit Party candidate. In my glass half full world, everything will be okay as long as sufficient people are prepared to pay into society. If things go seriously wrong, I am not sure I would be prepared to hole myself up on a farm in Cambridgeshire and take pot shots at strangers, looking for somewhere safe to sleep and a meal. This is definitely an island perspective. I have spent quite a long time arguing over this and gun control with Americans and I can understand perfectly why in a society with an infinite number of firearms, it is difficult and maybe not wise to opt out. Also that given the scale of the place, you can live off grid at some scale, without bringing yourself to anyone's attention. I just don't think it can work here and I suspect the odds are against it happening.

Look up the part in the article where it mentions " subscription fees" per annum.... Marvellous idea ! Currently, our businessman a makes shed load of money fleecing people with more money and fear than brains. If society does break down completely, nothing is going to stop the Zombie hordes wiping this place out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nutter with too much money than sense.

a lot of these preppers in the conspriacy world, usually american and usually hard right views of the world. funny thing is they have a lot in common with the far left communal living hippies though wouldnt say so.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Look up the part in the article where it mentions " subscription fees" per annum.... Marvellous idea ! Currently, our businessman a makes shed load of money fleecing people with more money and fear than brains. If society does break down completely, nothing is going to stop the Zombie hordes wiping this place out.

The fees look challenging, but how many wealthy individuals do you need to sign up for a scheme like this?
I don't know Woody Harrleson managed okay in Zombieland Double Tap, although personally Zoey Deutch stole the show.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The fees look challenging, but how many wealthy individuals do you need to sign up for a scheme like this?
I don't know Woody Harrleson managed okay in Zombieland Double Tap, although personally Zoey Deutch stole the show.

What sort of security is provided for that sort of cash though ? Angry mobs tend to keep coming but bullets will eventually run out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
This isn't another Brexit thread, is it?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not sure I would want to survive an apocalyptic event, I always thought back during the height of the Cold War that if there was ever the three minute warning of an incoming nuclear missile I would get out side into the most open high ground I could in such a short time in the hope of being totally obliterated and not have to face the lingering death that would otherwise be sure to follow, now that's cheered us all up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here