Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shots and possession.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing as at least 2 players are coming in for unwarranted criticism about their shooting (Maupay is currently on course for 15 goals and Alzate is only 12 years old) I thought I'd do a quick compare/contrast with last seasons home form v relegated teams..

Anticipating some very dour statistics I thought this was going to prove all you 'never happy's' wrong, but it doesn't, although I'm still left with the feeling:-

'what more do you want?'

v Fulham (sept)

15 shots
5 on target
41.5% possession
1 point

v Huddersfield

14 shots
4 on target
52.7% possession
3 points

v Cardiff

14 shots
2 on target
63.1% possession
0 points

v Norwich

21 shots
5 on target
58% possession
3 points.

Yesterday's team was pretty much exactly the same as last season, yet seemingly light years apart.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Seeing as at least 2 players are coming in for unwarranted criticism about their shooting (Maupay is currently on course for 15 goals and Alzate is only 12 years old) I thought I'd do a quick compare/contrast with last seasons home form v relegated teams..

Anticipating some very dour statistics I thought this was going to prove all you 'never happy's' wrong, but it doesn't, although I'm still left with the feeling:-

'what more do you want?'

v Fulham (sept)

15 shots
5 on target
41.5% possession
1 point

v Huddersfield

14 shots
4 on target
52.7% possession
3 points

v Cardiff

14 shots
2 on target
63.1% possession
0 points

v Norwich

21 shots
5 on target
58% possession
3 points.

Yesterday's team was pretty much exactly the same as last season, yet seemingly light years apart.

Do you have the Burnley comparison from both seasons?

Reason for asking is I felt we battered them last year and got nothing, whereas this year may have even created less but got a point (and should’ve won).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you have the Burnley comparison from both seasons?

Reason for asking is I felt we battered them last year and got nothing, whereas this year may have even created less but got a point (and should’ve won).

Sorry you're on your own now I'm at work.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

'what more do you want?'

v Fulham (sept)

15 shots
5 on target
41.5% possession
1 point

v Huddersfield

14 shots
4 on target
52.7% possession
3 points

v Cardiff

14 shots
2 on target
63.1% possession
0 points

v Norwich

21 shots
5 on target
58% possession
3 points.

I don't really see what this proves. Last season we barely created anything in games and win because we have Murray who is one of the best finishers in world football !!

Maupay is missing far too much. If you take away the pen and the goal handed to him against spurs he's only really scored 2 goals from open play this season. I'm being ultra critical but at this level you need to be. We need a striker of josh king or Callum Wilson standard. I have a good feeling Connelly will reach those levels.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

'what more do you want?'

v Fulham (sept)

15 shots
5 on target
41.5% possession
1 point

v Huddersfield

14 shots
4 on target
52.7% possession
3 points

v Cardiff

14 shots
2 on target
63.1% possession
0 points

v Norwich

21 shots
5 on target
58% possession
3 points.

At the risk of being called a pedant, you cant have something "pretty much exactly" the same. It's either exactly the same or it isn't, can't be almost or any other "near" word.

Other than that, nice stats... :wink:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't really see what this proves. Last season we barely created anything in games and win because we have Murray who is one of the best finishers in world football !!

Maupay is missing far too much. If you take away the pen and the goal handed to him against spurs he's only really scored 2 goals from open play this season. I'm being ultra critical but at this level you need to be. We need a striker of josh king or Callum Wilson standard. I have a good feeling Connelly will reach those levels.

Sorry there isn't an 'easy goal' setting on Maupay's stats.
They just say he's scored 4 from 11 Premier League games.

As said, I was expecting the numbers to prove a massive difference in shots and possession.
They don't and I could have binned they idea as they don't prove my point.
But I didn't because now, with similar stats it's a straight up fight between last season's style of play verse this season.

Most of yesterday's match was played with 10 players who were available to CH v Huddersfield.
I know which game I preferred, despite there only being one goal in it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As a former analyst I'm a great fan of statistics, however they don't always paint the full picture.

The stats quoted here are from the pre Christmas games last year, before our season when tits up and appear to indicate, statistically, that we were playing just as attacking possession based football as we are this season. For me, on this occasion I believe the statistics lie.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Sorry there isn't an 'easy goal' setting on Maupay's stats.
They just say he's scored 4 from 11 Premier League games.

As said, I was expecting the numbers to prove a massive difference in shots and possession.
They don't and I could have binned they idea as they don't prove my point.
But I didn't because now, with similar stats it's a straight up fight between last season's style of play verse this season.

Most of yesterday's match was played with 10 players who were available to CH v Huddersfield.
I know which game I preferred, despite there only being one goal in it.
Ok look at Murray's shot to goal ratio Vs maupay.

Chalk and cheese.

Murray would score hatfuls with the amount of chances we are currently creating.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maupay is missing far too much. If you take away the pen and the goal handed to him against spurs he's only really scored 2 goals from open play this season.

Yeah, and if you take away the points we won v tottenham, watford, everton, we'd be in the relegation zone and no one would be singing Potter's praises, eh? Take away the spurs, newcastle and watford games, and yesterday was Ryan's first clean sheet.

If you take away people's achievements of course they will appear to be failing to achieve. We have some spotty (pun not initially intended, but left there) history with penalties, having someone who can convert them is not to be sniffed at. A major part of finishing is being in the right place, Maupay has managed to do that at key moments to be able to 'just tap it in'. People love to point to Murray, but he isn't a pacey player who makes runs from deep after seeing the ball crossed and seeing where it is going to land. He anticipates, he reads the game and he gets into the right place so he can get on the end of it. That is a decent quality, not to be chalked off because it's 'just a tap in'

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Bmuff have been on a dry spell for weeks :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Chalk and cheese.

Murray would score hatfuls with the amount of chances we are currently creating.

So I assume if I look I wouldn't find any criticism from you in the wake of the Huddersfield game.

I also assume you believe Murray is capable of getting into those scoring position if we had a straight swap.
You believe Murray is capable of playing at the current tempo.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

As much as I like Murray (I think he is (was) absolute class), I don't think we would we be currently creating as many chances if he was playing.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Norwich had 0 on target, which, curiously given the 'CH was too defensive' mantra, is better than any of these games: Fulham 5, Huddersfield 4, Cardiff 3. So maybe the 'never happys' are wrong on basis of best form of defence is attack.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Norwich had 0 on target, which, curiously given the 'CH was too defensive' mantra, is better than any of these games: Fulham 5, Huddersfield 4, Cardiff 3. So maybe the 'never happys' are wrong on basis of best form of defence is attack.

But they did hit the crossbar and Dunk made a wonderful last ditch tackle.

Stats rarely tell the whole story.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
But they did hit the crossbar and Dunk made a wonderful last ditch tackle.

Stats rarely tell the whole story.

Very true, but they are useful as a basis for comparison when the alternatives are far more subjective. Everybody knows stats don't tell everything, but the fact remains that they had 0 on target. I think Norwich are suffering from a serious lack of confidence. They have a ridiculous number of injuries and Farke looks to have tried to change the way they play, to be far more defensive. This has effectively nullified the only positive aspect of their play, which was their attacking threat. They don't really have the personnel to defend for 80 minutes and try and nick games. Certainly not with their current injuries anyway. Big game for them next week!

Speaking of useless stats, here is the latest xG league table, uysing Ben Mayhew's model (experimental 3-6-1)

Expected what now.png

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very true, but they are useful as a basis for comparison when the alternatives are far more subjective. Everybody knows stats don't tell everything, but the fact remains that they had 0 on target. I think Norwich are suffering from a serious lack of confidence. They have a ridiculous number of injuries and Farke looks to have tried to change the way they play, to be far more defensive. This has effectively nullified the only positive aspect of their play, which was their attacking threat. They don't really have the personnel to defend for 80 minutes and try and nick games. Certainly not with their current injuries anyway. Big game for them next week!

Speaking of useless stats, here is the latest xG league table, uysing Ben Mayhew's model (experimental 3-6-1)

View attachment 116863

Sure and Norwich weren’t very good.

I will always go by what I see in front of me, the stats may or may not confirm this [emoji2]

el punal

Having watched Match of the Day this weekend we were not the only team profligate in front of goal. Those net bursters Man City and Liverpool, among others, were also guilty.

The exciting part of watching the Albion play these days is how much more creative we are. With a bit more composure and the need to be more clinical in front of goal will surely come. Overall the team are settling in to play really attractive stuff. Long may it continue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having watched Match of the Day this weekend we were not the only team profligate in front of goal. Those net bursters Man City and Liverpool, among others, were also guilty.

The exciting part of watching the Albion play these days is how much more creative we are. With a bit more composure and the need to be more clinical in front of goal will surely come. Overall the team are settling in to play really attractive stuff. Long may it continue.

From the Maupay thread:-

Yesterday the Albion had:-

21 shots 5 on target 2 goals = Maupay needs to do better.

Man City

26 shots 4 on target 2 goals = Agüero needs to do better?

Liverpool

25 shots 6 on target 2 goals = Salah/Mane needs to do better?

Chelsea

16 shots 10 on target 2 goals = Abrahams needs to do better?

Wolves

24 shots 8 on target 1 goal = Barry Wolf needs to do better?

There's some heads firmly lodged in their own backsides on this and other threads.

el punal

Chalk and cheese.

Well he would definitely have scored against Everton if Digne hadn’t done the job for him. Not sure about the “hatfuls” you speak of, but still an absolute beast if the ball lands at his feet in the six yard box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here