Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Western United - A League new boys (Australia)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have signed up to the new team in Australia's A league and they have contributed to my brilliant weekend of football by coming back from 2 goals down (two gifted goals down) to win 3-2. The standard is way off what we are used to but it is improving but it is really interesting getting involved with a brand new club when coming from a place where your team is handed down to you with immense history. Scott McDonlald was excellent and Alessandro Diamante is always entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSYE-x_4XE

My only regret this weekend is that I wasn't able to go to the game (long story).

Anyone other ex pats go and watch football in their adopted lands?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I'm about to move to Vienna to live and work. It will be interesting 'shopping' for a new club from amongst those based in the city.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm about to move to Vienna to live and work. It will be interesting 'shopping' for a new club from amongst those based in the city.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I live about 1 hour away from Melbourne in Geelong and have flirted with both Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart/City over the last few years and it just didn't feel right. Western United have come along to represent the west of Victoria, playing in Geelong for a couple of seasons and feel like the right fit for me. 2-0 down inside 10 minutes being out played felt like an impending 5-0 at Selhurst and the come back saw me shouting and screaming at the TV like watching Brighton.

A perfect entree for the Brighton win this morning.

You've got a lot of shopping to do in Vienna

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The commentator calling it ‘the derby’ when it’s about 5 minutes since WU were set up! :lolol: (Sorry BadFish). Next we’ll be hearing the Melbourne fans chanting “Same old Western United, always cheating” :wink:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The commentator calling it ‘the derby’ when it’s about 5 minutes since WU were set up! :lolol: (Sorry BadFish). Next we’ll be hearing the Melbourne fans chanting “Same old Western United, always cheating” :wink:

You are not wrong here, the media and the A League are desperate for Derbies to try and generate some excitement. A Victory fan (can they be called this after a loss) was telling me that they bill 6 or 7 of the 11 teams as derby games for Victory.

To be fair at least this one felt like a derby, we played Melbourne City last week (also billed as a derby) and it felt nothing like it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have signed up to the new team in Australia's A league and they have contributed to my brilliant weekend of football by coming back from 2 goals down (two gifted goals down) to win 3-2. The standard is way off what we are used to but it is improving but it is really interesting getting involved with a brand new club when coming from a place where your team is handed down to you with immense history. Scott McDonlald was excellent and Alessandro Diamante is always entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSYE-x_4XE

My only regret this weekend is that I wasn't able to go to the game (long story).

Anyone other ex pats go and watch football in their adopted lands?

Son-in-law is a Victory fan and keeps threatening to take me, but I am drawn towards City as their badge incorporates an English style red cross on a white background.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Son-in-law is a Victory fan and keeps threatening to take me, but I am drawn towards City as their badge incorporates an English style red cross on a white background.

I was keen for City when they were Melbourne Heart. I found it hard to support a Man City derivative, they lack a little soul for me (Western United have welcomed a few of their supporters for the same reason.) Although I have to say as a team they are very impressive and have Craig Noone.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I was keen for City when they were Melbourne Heart. I found it hard to support a Man City derivative, they lack a little soul for me (Western United have welcomed a few of their supporters for the same reason.) Although I have to say as a team they are very impressive and have Craig Noone.

Craig scored for City this morning in their 3-2 win against Wellington, for whom Gary Hooper scored.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Very interesting I lived in Melbourne for 6 years during the 80s and played for South Yarra.

After visiting Western United's Wiki page, I've not heard of any of the Western Suburbs associated with the club. It looks to me as though it's just another Melboune based club.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_United_FC
I think it would have been good for the club to be based in Ballarat or Geelong to reach out to a regional support base.

Back in 1999 I followed the newly formed NZ A league franchise the Auckland Kingz, attending quite a few games but I got disullusioned at every thing being done on the cheap.
They have since become the Wellington Phoenix. I didn't even know they'd lost their opening 3 games this season. They do play the odd game in Auckland, to give them a National identity but I think it's a matter of time before they lose their licence.

I live only a 30 minute walk from Auckland City's ground who finished 3rd in 2014 World Club champioship, but have never bothered to attend any of their games.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Very interesting I lived in Melbourne for 6 years during the 80s and played for South Yarra.

After visiting Western United's Wiki page, I've not heard of any of the Western Suburbs associated with the club. It looks to me as though it's just another Melboune based club.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_United_FC
I think it would have been good for the club to be based in Ballarat or Geelong to reach out to a regional support base.

Back in 1999 I followed the newly formed NZ A league franchise the Auckland Kingz, attending quite a few games but I got disullusioned at every thing being done on the cheap.
They have since become the Wellington Phoenix. I didn't even know they'd lost their opening 3 games this season. They do play the odd game in Auckland, to give them a National identity but I think it's a matter of time before they lose their licence.

I live only a 30 minute walk from Auckland City's ground who finished 3rd in 2014 World Club champioship, but have never bothered to attend any of their games.

Western United were originally a Geelong based bid for the extension licence. Steve Horvat (ex Australia) is the face behind the team and was behind the bid for a Geelong club. At some point in the process it was thought that the bid would not get over the line as they were concerned about fan numbers down here in Geelong. It was decided that the bid would move to West Melbourne with the idea of incorporating the West of the state from the Western Suburbs of Melbourne, Through Geelong and the surf coast, Ballarat and Warrnamabool. We are playing in Geelong and Ballarat (9 in Geelong and 2 in Ballarat) for a couple of years while building a stadium on the Western Edge of Melbourne, about half an hour from Geelong. It has also been mentioned that we will play big games (the new stadium will have a capacity of 15,000) down here at Kardinia Park.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A brilliant win against the league leaders pushes up to 2nd. Looking good so far.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
A brilliant win against the league leaders pushes up to 2nd. Looking good so far.

It was indeed. Another good win for Noone's lot who are going well.

A question for you; why do A League games usually ko 10 minutes later than the published times? I can't think of another league around the world where this happens in virtually every game.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It was indeed. Another good win for Noone's lot who are going well.

A question for you; why do A League games usually ko 10 minutes later than the published times? I can't think of another league around the world where this happens in virtually every game.
Yeah I have noticed this happening too. I am not sure why. TV is the same because of advertising I think. Maybe similar.

Noone's city are going very well. They look very impressive.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Yeah I have noticed this happening too. I am not sure why. TV is the same because of advertising I think. Maybe similar.

Noone's city are going very well. They look very impressive.

Ah,ok, thanks. As I said, it’s the only league in the world where it happens.

I had visions that it was due to each player having to sing Waltzing Matilda and the game couldn’t start until the last player had finished! ��

It’s between City and Sydney for me but your new boys will bloody a few noses along the way. Perth have had a shocker and look to be out of it even at this early stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here