Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Last Post

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why was there not a rendition of the Last Post today even a recording played over the sound system would gave been an improvement if we cannot afford a bugler/ trumpeter.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's over a week away . . . .do it once and do it right, generations will remember, rightly.

Ram it repeatedly down people's throats and they'll reject it. I remember it as a day, not 6 weeks.

Like everything else now. Marketing!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree that it should only be done on the last Saturday before 11th Nov whether we are at home or away but it eems every club wants to do at their last home game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They had it at the bornmuff v man u game. Bloke played it badly too

Yes felt sorry for him, it was truly awful.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
And why did both managers have wreaths given they just held them and didn't lay the anywhere

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
They had it at the bornmuff v man u game. Bloke played it badly too

Unfortunately Douglas from the Lurpak adverts was double booked.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I’ve been present at many performances of it and have to say I’ve literally never heard it played without error. Technically very difficult I’m sure, but surely possible to get right?!

Indeed. I thought the impeccably observed silence today was a far better tribute than a slightly wonky Last Post.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Would have liked to have heard last post. Shame, but my thoughts are what count for me. Learning and make sure it is done next year?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Indeed. I thought the impeccably observed silence today was a far better tribute than a slightly wonky Last Post.

I thought if you are going to do it then do it properly with the silence following the Last Post and then finished with Reveille not a refs whistle. One of my uncles was in the sea cadets at Worthing and played both at the War Memorial for a number of years.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I might be wrong but I don't think we had anything last year as our matches anywhere near the 11th were both away and there was the international break as well.

Maybe the bugler was I'll or something and nothing to do with money as someone suggested :facepalm:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The minute’s silence was going well in EL until someone’s phone rang and he decided to answer it and have a conversation. When challenged by many of us, his defence was “well I wasn’t expecting a phone call , was I ? - what was I supposed to do..........?”. I can’t repeat the responses.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I thought if you are going to do it then do it properly with the silence following the Last Post and then finished with Reveille not a refs whistle. One of my uncles was in the sea cadets at Worthing and played both at the War Memorial for a number of years.

This is normally done for military funerals. I’ve been at raf Coningsby for 11/11 and reveille was never played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This is normally done for military funerals. I’ve been at raf Coningsby for 11/11 and reveille was never played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The military are consummate professionals at this sort of thing, practising many many times.
When some local musician does this, they're probably very nervous, so I'm not surprised it wasn't up to scratch.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I thought it was really well done today, perfect silence following a good, Stand or Fall chorus from the crowd.

Should we have had Last Post? I would have liked it. Surly there must be a protocol somewhere, it's too important to let everyone do whatever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here