Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] THAT Ryan/Stephens/Ryan pass thing

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why doesn't Ryan just play it long?

Because we don't do that anymore. It's a deliberate ploy to encourage 'the press' and play through it.

Webster has been caught out once, Stephens nearly got caught today, but you'd better get used to it as it isn't going to change any time soon :wink:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yes if we can play it out and most of the time we do it punishes the press. Humping the ball up the pitch doesnt at all. Still scares the crap out of me sometimes though. The more we do it the more comfortable we will get at it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes if we can play it out and most of the time we do it punishes the press. Humping the ball up the pitch doesnt at all. Still scares the crap out of me sometimes though. The more we do it the more comfortable we will get at it.

Exactly, sometimes it’s squeaky bum time but it means we retain possession whereas a hoof normally means giving the ball back to the opposition. It will come unstuck at times though I accept. Way to go imo

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it will backfire at some point, the question is will we have benefited more by playing this way than the backfire costs.

We already have, hugely.

Getting more annoyed by the people around me and their ‘FFS Ryan kick it upfield’ comments.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It’ll possibly cost 1-2 goals a season. Did Guardiola say something similar regarding Stones and passing it out from the back, that you accept the odd goal against for the greater good that it does?

The amount of time the ball then gets hit long into the channels anyway to Connolly and Maupay after this does make me wonder at the amount of play at the back we do

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it will backfire at some point, the question is will we have benefited more by playing this way than the backfire costs.

It has already. Webster giving a goal away, but I can't remember who against :facepalm:

But it is integral to the way we are now playing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We already have, hugely.

Getting more annoyed by the people around me and their ‘FFS Ryan kick it upfield’ comments.

IMHO the first half was reminiscent of the dog days of Hughtonball. No sense of urgency going forward, happy to just languidly pass the ball around in our half with no real idea of what to do with it. Surprise surprise it invited Norwich to attack our goal and start to fancy their chances. I know the conditions were pretty atrocious but they were pretty much the same conditions both sides of half time. As soon as the Albion came out and got a bit more positive, Norwich were put back in their box.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We already have, hugely.

The extended 0-0 period today allowed the moany twats a rare chance to find their voice. Luckily we scored after not too much of it went on but it is very frustrating and beggars belief really given what the Albion team are producing...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
IMHO the first half was reminiscent of the dog days of Hughtonball. No sense of urgency going forward, happy to just languidly pass the ball around in our half. Surprise surprise it invited Norwich to attack our goal and starg to fancy their chances. I know the conditions were pretty atrocious but they were pretty much the same conditions both sides of half time. As soon as the Albion camr out and got a bit more positive, Norwich were put back in their box.

First time we have had to break the opposition down rather than counter. We’ll get better at it. Potter is SUCH a breath of fresh air. I do agree that we looked to have had Hughton in as coach for the day at times though :smile:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We already have, hugely.

I don't mind it but today the pass to Stephens was suicidal. Problem is Ryan's kicking is like a 15 year olds.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
IMHO the first half was reminiscent of the dog days of Hughtonball. No sense of urgency going forward, happy to just languidly pass the ball around in our half with no real idea of what to do with it. Surprise surprise it invited Norwich to attack our goal and start to fancy their chances. I know the conditions were pretty atrocious but they were pretty much the same conditions both sides of half time. As soon as the Albion came out and got a bit more positive, Norwich were put back in their box.

Absolutely my thoughts. I thought we actually gave them more respect than they deserved in the first half, which bolstered their confidence - of which they had very little...

Second half we came out with our confident hats on, and they got straight back in their boxes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Blimey, tough crowd. It looked nothing like it to me.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
It’ll possibly cost 1-2 goals a season. Did Guardiola say something similar regarding Stones and passing it out from the back, that you accept the odd goal against for the greater good that it does?

City have conceded this year doing it Otamendi at least once I think twice. Pep isnt going to stop his team for good reason.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

With our chances we should have been 2-0 up at half time. They didnt have a single shot on target...

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Playing this way was how we often controlled the game with only ten men at Villa

Shame Villa lost to a 94th minute goal today - you win some you lose some

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love it - occasionally we need to clear it long and don’t but it’s easy to spot from the stands especially high up. I love the direct nature of our balls from the back - and from midfield. Often central and positive/forward. It causes constant threat to the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here