Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Fracking Ban

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-ends-support-for-fracking

Sensible Tory policy and/or pre-election opportunism ?

Prior to becoming prime minister, Johnson referred to fracking as “glorious news for humanity” and urged the UK to “leave no stone unturned, or unfracked” in pursuit of shale gas. He also hired a former fracking lobbyist to help write the Conservatives election manifesto.

A ban on fracking from the prime minister would make the Conservatives the last major political party to turn its back on fracking after Labour and the Liberal Democrats joined the SNP and the Green party in opposing shale development in recent years.

discuss.....

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sensible Tory decision sitting on the back burner untill the GE was announced and then issued to great fanfare, jumping on the environmental issues bandwagon, saying "look what we are doing".

Guaranteed to be milked for all its worth. Politics lost its way a long time ago. More about the sound bites than actual products.

And I'm a traditional Conservative voter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fracking ban?

Money talks.

Won't happen (and no, I've no idea whether it's a good idea or an environmental disaster).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shame really, better to get gas locally than shipped in. could be cynical ploy to take it off table for election, though not sure how they'll bring it back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
shame really, better to get gas locally than shipped in. could be cynical ploy to take it off table for election, though not sure how they'll bring it back.

Deffo.

I was really looking forward to setting fire to tap water:-

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The tories haven't banned it, just withdrawn support.

A good green issue for an election campaign, but it'll come back, sooner than later when we get desperate.

For the record I hope it never rears its head again, I do like a good wind farm though.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Cynical Tory electioneering. They've said they'd lift the moritorium given 'compelling evidence it's safe'.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Temporary ban, if they get back in, fracking will be back with a vengeance. Loathsome has endorsed it , a huge opportunity for the UK . apparently.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Temporary ban, if they get back in, fracking will be back with a vengeance. Loathsome has endorsed it , a huge opportunity for the UK . apparently.
I think she means a " Huge opportunity for some, an ecological step back for most "...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I do not support fracking in any way - don't believe we should mess with the grounds we walk on and around the water that we drink, for the sake of making a few rich blokes a few more quid.

However this scenario could not happen in this country as, unlike the states, we treat all of our drinking water.

I see what you're getting at but not true if you're on a private supply.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Here we go again.

Absolutely bonkers on every level.

The funny thing about this is the people this effects most are the country folk in the Tory heartlands. You watch how mobilised the Whatsapp groups are in the shires when fracking is due to start on their doorstep.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Interesting admission from the Government that Putin has been actively funding and ultimately influencing UK politics.

[tweet]1572902493100863489[/tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting admission from the Government that Putin has been actively funding and ultimately influencing UK politics.

Oh so influence from Putin's regime in UK affairs is bad when it suits him it seems...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Oh so influence from Putin's regime in UK affairs is bad when it suits him it seems...

IF he is telling the truth. Why has he not put the evidence to support this assertion in the public domain then?

It's quite worrying that those who voted to impose our next PM on us have been influenced by Putin to object to fracking when it's in their back yard (which the majority of it is).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we like using energy, we want to be reasonably self sufficent in energy. we could at some time in the future be self-sufficent from wind and solar generation. until then we need something to provide energy and the most practical, lowest emission form is gas. is it better to rely on imported gas or get that which is sitting beneath us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here