Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any classic car fans on here?

boik

The Bristol could be quite interesting, but can't work out what model. I know someone who had a 410 and 411, but neither had twin headlights. Lovely cars though, but that one needs a lot of work and there won't be many spares around.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Used to be. I’ve had Alfasuds that dissolved around me. Post 1995 cars belie the Alfas are rust buckets mantra though :thumbsup:

Makes them bargains though as the fear factor limits the sales to enthusiasts. Modern Alfas are flash Fiats sadly, although my 159 Sportwagon is the best looking estate you can buy...imo

Ahem . . . . Subaru Legacy 2.5. :wink: circa 2004-5

I shared an alfasud with a flat mate early 90's, and have tuned a lot of 105 series cylinder heads recent
Y, they're great cars and engines, the original giullieta was an all disc brake twin cam engined 5 speed saloon in 1963. Makes a Cortina look like a prehistoric biscuit tin in many ways, although weight and price were somewhat different.

Mrs Zef has a modern Giullietta, it's a good car, great engine , albeit bereft of torque. It won't rust, it's plastic!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My inability to work with metal (I can scratch it, or dent it if it's thin enough, but that is it) precludes me from even attempting to restore old cars. There's a few there I wouldn't mind taking for a spin, though (once they've been restored, that is).

boik

Ahem . . . . Subaru Legacy 2.5. :wink: circa 2004-5

I shared an alfasud with a flat mate early 90's, and have tuned a lot of 105 series cylinder heads recent
Y, they're great cars and engines, the original giullieta was an all disc brake twin cam engined 5 speed saloon in 1963. Makes a Cortina look like a prehistoric biscuit tin in many ways, although weight and price were somewhat different.

Mrs Zef has a modern Giullietta, it's a good car, great engine , albeit bereft of torque. It won't rust, it's plastic!

The Lynx Eventer was a great looking estate car too. Always reminded me of the E-type hearse from Harold and Maude. Volvo P1800S is another great looking estate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got as far as 45.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Mercedes 350.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
The Bristol could be quite interesting, but can't work out what model. I know someone who had a 410 and 411, but neither had twin headlights. Lovely cars though, but that one needs a lot of work and there won't be many spares around.

It’s more likely to be a 411. It also has the classic rust problem.

We used to have an Alvis in the 70s (very similar design and era) and it had large rusted sections on the wheel arches, sills and err.. everywhere. I recently discovered it 42 years after I last saw it and someone else is now restoring it having picked it up as a barn find in France of all places.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Lynx Eventer was a great looking estate car too. Always reminded me of the E-type hearse from Harold and Maude. Volvo P1800S is another great looking estate.

There was a mint lynx eventer in the paddock at Spa a few years ago when we were there racing, lovely thing, but xjs's are tiny inside, you have to go shooting with a gat gun and a dachshund!

A mate had a TWR 6.3 XJS, both of us 6'3 shoehorned in. **** me it was quick though. Best not divulge any tales on that one.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Modern cars bore the fukk out of me.

I wish someone would build some of those cars again. With modern tech, they would be immense. Lancia Beta, that convertible Peugeot etc are great. Imagine the look of 80s 911 with today's build quality.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It’s more likely to be a 411. It also has the classic rust problem.

We used to have an Alvis in the 70s (very similar design and era) and it had large rusted sections on the wheel arches, sills and err.. everywhere. I recently discovered it 42 years after I last saw it and someone else is now restoring it having picked it up as a barn find in France of all places.

My knees go for Interceptors, but like all those 60's Luxor barge coupes made from mixed slag, they rot, badly. Even we'll restored ones are destined to need doing again before most of us pop our clogs. Lovely things though.

I'm currently chasing a very local car. . . .subject to selling one of the DagenhAm dustbins to fund it. . . Built extremely close to the Goldstone.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The little Alfa in lot 6 is lovely, most the rest might as well be put back in the barn they came from.

or at least a barn with a roof..

Lots of nice cars there, that would have been better off on the road/being used by someone than parked up.

Would enjoy owning most of them in a decent state, but the Lancia (Frua 422?) takes the eye.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Modern cars bore the fukk out of me.

I wish someone would build some of those cars again. With modern tech, they would be immense. Lancia Beta, that convertible Peugeot etc are great. Imagine the look of 80s 911 with today's build quality.

It's being done, 911's, mk2 jags, new GT40's, TVRs etc. . but at one level it's unaffordable, unless you're a Brexit banker. . . .or you need to get into the grey world, which is a bloody minefield, best avoided IMO. And not cheap, although compared to the price of a newish modern car its comparable, with the added bonus of minimal depreciation. If it's done right

To my mind you need to be sympathitic with upgrades and make it bolt on, so when fashions shift, you can revert to original.

Lots of cars got chopped/modernised in the 80's/90's they're beyond it and worthless now compared to a std original car. Historic motorsport has decimated swathes of certain cars.

A good classic with period upgrades is a good thing. A focus/mondeo engine and a Mazda mx5 gearbox in a mk1 Cortina or Anglia may be great now, for burn outs at the ace cafe but how will the maintenance and investment situation look in 10 years?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Tough ploppies - I'm after the Triumph Herald Vitesse, now, as well.

I have owned a Vitesse......super little car. Even with a knackered engine, (cracked cylinder head i believe ), it towed a car up Goodwood hill from Singleton. Only two things I disliked about the car was it was the model without overdrive and the colour was a very pale,almost white, green. The only green car I have ever owned. Great car though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tough ploppies - I'm after the Triumph Herald Vitesse, now, as well.

I'm about three quarters of the way through restoring a Tornado Talisman, 1962, its suspension is Triumph based . . . .a real horror story of snappalotti chocolate components. Especially with the 130 BHP 8000rpm Ford engine I built for it. I raced one at Goodwood 5 years ago, the back wheel snapped off being chased by a Ferrari and an AC Ace . . .I was doing about 90 mph!

Suffice to say my race suit needed a deep clean and it took 3 years to re engineer the rear suspension to be safe enough to use.

The Herald is awful. The Vitesse is better, but very much a cruise and pose car. :cool: IMG_0242.JPG

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm about three quarters of the way through restoring a Tornado Talisman, 1962, its suspension is Triumph based . . . .a real horror story of snappalotti chocolate components. Especially with the 130 BHP 8000rpm Ford engine I built for it. I raced one at Goodwood 5 years ago, the back wheel snapped off being chased by a Ferrari and an AC Ace . . .I was doing about 90 mph!

Suffice to say my race suit needed a deep clean and it took 3 years to re engineer the rear suspension to be safe enough to use.

The Herald is awful. The Vitesse is better, but very much a cruise and pose car. :cool:View attachment 116819

Any chance that you could fit the new rear shockers to my GTV? :lolol:

Bought them and all garages are giving me the “can no longer fit customer supplied parts due to insurance issues” Recent shoulder issues means I haven’t got the strength to do it myself :down:

MOT runs out in a couple of days, guess I’ll have to bite the bullet if it fails due to leaking shockers, which was an advisory last year.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
3 Vespas look like far eastern imports. Best avoided. Vespas are best avoided full stop IMO!

Icy, Andy @ classic and race is an Alfa man . . . . I'm not a mechanic and hate working on cars!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here