Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Trick or Treat

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For the first time since we moved back to Brighton, we had not Trick or Treaters call round. Reading other groups I see that quite a few others have had the same experience. It was a fine night so it wasn't the weather putting people off, have we passed peak T or T? It was very strange seeing the streets so empty

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Very busy in our street, but then there are lots of young families around. Fortunately they all seem to obey the unwritten rule of only knocking at doors that have a pumpkin on display, so we didn't get any callers.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Same here in Northumberland, although it would appear that here if you display a pumpkin by your front door you are OK for T&T. My own opinion is another gimmick from across the pond.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Last year we had quite a few kids going around hoovering up the sweets, nowadays they are the same ones, but with teeth like a Victorian orphan.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Same here in Northumberland, although it would appear that here if you display a pumpkin by your front door you are OK for T&T. My own opinion is another gimmick from across the pond.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

We had a pumpkin in the window and a full bowl of sweets. Still, my kids will have their fill in the next day or so

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For the first time since we moved back to Brighton, we had not Trick or Treaters call round. Reading other groups I see that quite a few others have had the same experience. It was a fine night so it wasn't the weather putting people off, have we passed peak T or T? It was very strange seeing the streets so empty

Our street was packed with kids (plus appropriate adults) all Trick or Treating - and we didn't get a single one knocking on our door. They're very well behaved, if you want to engage you put a pumpkin out or something similar to prove you're 'Halloween friendly', and then the kids know they can call. No Halloween stuff visible = no callers.

My wife used to insist on still doing Halloween long after our son had gone to university! It's only in the last few years she's stopped, although we hope to do it next year when our grandson's older.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
if you want to engage you put a pumpkin out or something similar to prove you're 'Halloween friendly', and then the kids know they can call. No Halloween stuff visible = no callers.

We had a pumpkin in the window and a full bowl of sweets

We can look out over the estate from our window and didn't see any groups of kids wandering around

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My grand daughter is an avid beggar, dressing up an' all that. This is the first year I've actually allowed them to place a big squash outside. So as not to be disturbed, there was a bowl of sweets placed along side this so as the responsible adult accompanying those indulging in such practice could supervise the taking of one sweet and then be on their way. They STILL rang the doorbell! Not many, but maybe four callers, but everyone rang the doorbell:facepalm:
Maybe they couldn't see the sweets because of the led lights and the sign that said please take one:shrug:
Next year, I might go all in and dress up just to frighten the crap out of a load of infants, or I might regress back into the miserable sod who doesn't enjoy being disturbed

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My grand daughter is an avid beggar, dressing up an' all that. This is the first year I've actually allowed them to place a big squash outside. So as not to be disturbed, there was a bowl of sweets placed along side this so as the responsible adult accompanying those indulging in such practice could supervise the taking of one sweet and then be on their way. They STILL rang the doorbell! Not many, but maybe four callers, but everyone rang the doorbell:facepalm:
Maybe they couldn't see the sweets because of the led lights and the sign that said please take one:shrug:
Next year, I might go all in and dress up just to frighten the crap out of a load of infants, or I might regress back into the miserable sod who doesn't enjoy being disturbed

I think the point is, the kiddies are keen to show off their costumes and get a few "ooh's" and "aah's" from the neighbours for all the effort that they put into them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Masses of scroungers in Worthing last night, they were hunting in packs mostly, groups of up to a dozen at a time all decked out in their plastic Asda costumes. Lord knows how any of them slept last night after the sugar highs, they will probably all be asleep at school today.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Masses of scroungers in Worthing last night, they were hunting in packs mostly, groups of up to a dozen at a time all decked out in their plastic Asda costumes. Lord knows how any of them slept last night after the sugar highs, they will probably all be asleep at school today.

It's half term.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We can look out over the estate from our window and didn't see any groups of kids wandering around

Hmmm. Well I can only speak for my street, but when I came home at about 6:15 it was as busy as previous years. As were the other roads I saw in the Fiveways area whilst going to the Chinese to get my tea.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Last year I bought a Fun Tub size container of Haribo treats to give to potential callers. Homage to my deceased mother who always did something for the kids round her way.

Not one kid/adult came round and I spent the next six months eating them.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
t or t.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here