My THIRD year of watching the Albion, we beat Lincoln 5-1

Not played on Boxing Day

BIRMINGHAM 1 ARSENAL 4

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Boxing Day did used to produce odd results. Not sure the diet and fitness regimes were quite so enforced back then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And there was a fair amount of match fixing too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_betting_scandal

I got into football not long after the scandal broke and it was still a big talking point, it was probably the major football story until the World Cup. Peter Swan and Bronco Layne both returned to playing football - I definitely remember Swan turning out for Massive at the Goldstone (I think it was a 3-3 draw).

There's probably quite a bit of fixing that's not been uncovered - occasionally players and refs are nabbed for it but I bet there's more that we don't know about.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I got into football not long after the scandal broke and it was still a big talking point, it was probably the major football story until the World Cup. Peter Swan and Bronco Layne both returned to playing football - I definitely remember Swan turning out for Massive at the Goldstone (I think it was a 3-3 draw).

There's probably quite a bit of fixing that's not been uncovered - occasionally players and refs are nabbed for it but I bet there's more that we don't know about.

Indeed. I think we are pretty much the same age. Swan was the one in the news to my recollection, and it was all about his England career and that.

Some of those scores look decidedly peculiar. Leeds were notorious for offering bungs. It was the main reason why Clough loathed Revie. Yet it must have gone on for way longer than ten years without it ever making headlines. It would probably crush the memories of many of us if we were to learn the true extent of corruption back in the 'good old days'.

I had a look at football attendances a while ago and seem to recall they were at a lowpoint from the early 60s to late 70s (with The Albion bucking the trend with massive crowds even in division 4). Cynical, ignorant, shitty times, where everyone smoked, had one bath a week (whetehr we needed it or not) and were grateful. No wonder football was corrupt.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
An average of 6 goals a game I wonder how MOTD would have fitted all those in if it had been around in 1963.

55 minutes of Liverpool, including full coverage of pre match YNWA and an interview with three hilarious scousers. 5 minutes for the rest.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
55 minutes of Liverpool, including full coverage of pre match YNWA and an interview with three hilarious scousers. 5 minutes for the rest.

about a goal every 5 seconds, that would be pretty intense TV.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Liverpool weren't such a big team then - they'd only been promoted a few seasons before. Tottenham, Man U and Everton would have been the top teams.

And I'm not sure that YNWA would have been so big then. It had only been released a couple of months before and while Liverpool fans were singing it, it wasn't as iconic as it would become

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Liverpool weren't such a big team then - they'd only been promoted a few seasons before. Tottenham, Man U and Everton would have been the top teams.

And I'm not sure that YNWA would have been so big then. It had only been released a couple of months before and while Liverpool fans were singing it, it wasn't as iconic as it would become

Pacemakers had a totally different meaning too

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I just looked this up and I was wrong about this - Liverpool won the title that season. But I was right about them not being an established top flight team, it was their second season back in the 1st Division having been relegated in the 53/54 season.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
An average of 6 goals a game I wonder how MOTD would have fitted all those in if it had been around in 1963.

MOTD debuted less than 8 months later with Liverpool v Arsenal, only 5 goals:

Only one match, as it was for several years with goals not replayed, so no problem showing all the goals from whichever match chosen

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here