Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Seville in March

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Just booked cheap flights to Seville in March, 3 day stay for me and the wife. NSC is usually a great source of information and advice. Any hotels recommended, restaurants, places to go etc would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Go up the wooden mushroom that they're so very proud of. Nice views and a bit different.
The Alcazar is spectacular.
The Cathedral is wicked as well
If you're late March you might be able to catch a bullfight if you're so inclined. If not the plaza de toros is still worth a trot round
Nazca for decent Janapese/Peruvian fusion
Millions of bars to stand around in and drink canas and eat boquerones and chicharrones.
Don;'t be put off eating in some of the more obviously touristy tapasy areas - there's still loads of decent scran around

Personally I'd swerve the flamenco.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just booked cheap flights to Seville in March, 3 day stay for me and the wife. NSC is usually a great source of information and advice. Any hotels recommended, restaurants, places to go etc would be much appreciated.

Went in February a couple of years ago for a similar length stay (weather was akin to spring in the UK). Really lovely city........we stayed at the H10 Corregidor hotel which was excellent and well located for everything (Seville isn’t big though, pretty much everywhere is within walking distance). Loads of places to eat, can’t recall any specifically but all good.

The Plaza de Espana and nearby Maria Luisa Park are definitely worth a visit. We also went to a Flamenco show (with dinner) at Tablao el Arenal - there are several options though as you’d expect.

Really enjoyed it there, planning to go back at some point.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Have been a few times, great city.

Look for the old tapas bars with locals in. Much better value and good vino by the glass.

It's a footie mad city so if there is a game on then get along. Betis get bigger crowds and are the traditional team with a history of underperforming. Think Newcastle or Everton. Their big fan base means they are often scheduled for TV on a Friday or Monday.

Alcazar is amazing, don't miss it. Placa Espana celebrates regional Spain in decorative tiling. Find the Albion player!

Rent bikes and cycle up the river to some interesting sculpture. Great terrace bar right down by the river downstream of the golden temple.

March is a great time to be there, think nice June weather here.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

What day are you going?

db27e0be-0b85-11e9-abe2-4909b2eb0130.jpg

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

Um, forgive me for stating the bloody obvious, but did you not do your own research prior to booking ??

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chris! I initially read that as a new allegation about Savile :facepalm:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Melia Seville with a room in the 'level' package. You get a private lounge with drinks and snacks that is excellent.v

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I used to live there. Will get back to you with some tips, which will be mostly food based :) , when I've got a minute.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Um, forgive me for stating the bloody obvious, but did you not do your own research prior to booking ??

Yes to a certain extent, however NSC always has someone who knows the city or area and is a valuable source of information. I’ve started a few of these City break threads and every time NSC has come up with some great suggestions not always the run of the mill touristy things.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
My second favourite Spanish city after Bilbao. I absolutely love it. Warmest mainland Europe city by all accounts.

The Best Western Hotels are all very good but recently we have been staying in a cheap as chips Pension, called 'Pension San Pancracio'. Right in the middle of town down a wee alley. Clean, basic and you have to share a bathroom, but it's grand.

Visit the Museum of Guitars and sample a Flamenco Night....

Great bars, great vibe, great city.....

TNBA

TTF

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
We went for a long weekend break last January and absolutely loved it.

Rather than just booking to go into the catherdral we paid a relatively small amount more and got the Rooftop guided tour. It was excellent - you are taken lots of tiny staircases onto upper galleries with amazing internal views, and out onto the roof at various levels - fascinating to see and the views of the city are lovely. It is bookable online.

The cathedral ticket also includes entry to another church and the interiors of that were staggeringly beautiful - better than the actual cathedral so make sure you take the trouble to wander over to it.

The Real Alcazar is also wonderful - again book in advance online to avoid the queues.

Also, take the time to wander over to the Plaza De Espana and the neighbouring Parque de Marie Luisa.

I'll let others comment on eateries - we used the Tripadvisor App and our own instincts and had lovely grub.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I got back Monday, it was 26 degrees. I've been a number of times. The great thing about Seville is it's walk-able.

1) Real Alcazar. As stated above book, book, book. BEFORE YOU GO. Didn't need to go again, but the hotel told us when we arrived it was booked out for the next four days.

2) La Carboneria. Hidden "gem". It's ten mins walk from the Cathedral down a back street. The restaurant in the article is now closed, so you enter via the back.

https://www.thebarefootnomad.com/europe/chasing-the-legend-of-flamenco-in-seville-at-la-carboneria/

This is a spit and saw dust bar where you can see real flamenco. Don't eat there (it's basic stuff) but have a cold beer and stay for a hour. It's great.

3) Plaza De Espana. Spectactular.

4) Restaurants. Very difficult to find a bad one, even the ones that look like tourist traps. Of course only eat tapas.

Wandered into this one after the football (Sevilla v Getafe), lovely. Grilled Artichokes and Goats cheese cooked with bitter marmalade a particular highlight.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...ar-Seville_Province_of_Seville_Andalucia.html

Also this one, excellent. Takes no bookings, there will a queue outside before it opens at 8. Modern tapas at its best.

The small menu is only in Spanish but they will happily take you through it. The suckling pig is to die for.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...da-Seville_Province_of_Seville_Andalucia.html

( Avoid the deconstructed Spanish Tortilla - it's weird )

5) Fancy just a drink ?. Quite difficult to find a nice drink only place (especially in the middle of the day) that isn't a tiny hole in the wall or packed or expect you to eat (again).

Get yourself up "the mushroom"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropol_Parasol

Near the shopping area (less than 15 walk from Cathedral) where there are 2/3 bars. If you fancy a late night drink, they close very late. You will struggle to pay more than 3 euros for a glass of wine in Seville.

6) Shopping

Corte Ingles - The huge Spanish department store near the mushroom. I bring back loads of food from there every time in Spain.

Remember Seville is very traditional and most shops close all day Sunday.

7) Walk along the river.

Walk south of the Cathedral and do a right (ignore the bridge to your left). Lovely walk along the river past the bull ring, then cross over the bridge into Triana. Check out the quite interesting covered food market to your right, then back along the river on the other side and cross the other bridge back into the centre.

Look out for pad locks on the railings of the bridge, although the authorities remove them as quickly as they appear. Its a traditional Seville thing to express love to your partner.

Hope that's enough !!!

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I got back Monday, it was 26 degrees. I've been a number of times. The great thing about Seville is it's walk-able.

1) Real Alcazar. As stated above book, book, book. BEFORE YOU GO. Didn't need to go again, but the hotel told us when we arrived it was booked out for the next four days.

2) La Carboneria. Hidden "gem". It's ten mins walk from the Cathedral down a back street. The restaurant in the article is now closed, so you enter via the back.

https://www.thebarefootnomad.com/europe/chasing-the-legend-of-flamenco-in-seville-at-la-carboneria/

This is a spit and saw dust bar where you can see real flamenco. Don't eat there (it's basic stuff) but have a cold beer and stay for a hour. It's great.

3) Plaza De Espana. Spectactular.

4) Restaurants. Very difficult to find a bad one, even the ones that look like tourist traps. Of course only eat tapas.

Wandered into this one after the football (Sevilla v Getafe), lovely. Grilled Artichokes and Goats cheese cooked with bitter marmalade a particular highlight.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...ar-Seville_Province_of_Seville_Andalucia.html

Also this one, excellent. Takes no bookings, there will a queue outside before it opens at 8. Modern tapas at its best.

The small menu is only in Spanish but they will happily take you through it. The suckling pig is to die for.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...da-Seville_Province_of_Seville_Andalucia.html

( Avoid the deconstructed Spanish Tortilla - it's weird )

5) Fancy just a drink ?. Quite difficult to find a nice drink only place (especially in the middle of the day) that isn't a tiny hole in the wall or packed or expect you to eat (again).

Get yourself up "the mushroom"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropol_Parasol

Near the shopping area (less than 15 walk from Cathedral) where there are 2/3 bars. If you fancy a late night drink, they close very late. You will struggle to pay more than 3 euros for a glass of wine in Seville.

6) Shopping

Corte Ingles - The huge Spanish department store near the mushroom. I bring back loads of food from there every time in Spain.

Remember Seville is very traditional and most shops close all day Sunday.

7) Walk along the river.

Walk south of the Catherdral and do a right (ignore the bridge to your left). Lovely walk along the river past the bull ring, then cross over the bridge into Triana. Check out the quite interesting covered food market to your right, then back along the river on the other side and cross the other bridge back into the centre.

Look out for pad locks on the railings of the bridge, although the authorities remove them as quickly as they appear. Its a traditional Seville thing to express love to your partner.

Hope that's enough !!!

Good shout re Triana, river walk and the covered market, had forgotten that.......

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry, hotel. I stayed here. Lovely.

https://www.h10hotels.com/en/seville-hotels/h10-casa-de-la-plata

Because Seville is so tightly packed, it's looks on a map to be quite away from Cathedral. It's 10 minute walk.

This hotel is perfectly placed. You basically walk out the door, keep going in a straight line and you hit the Cathedral. If you fancy a late night drink, the "mushroom" is right behind you.

Between here and the centre, you will also just find some better tapas bars than the ones round the Cathedral.

.. but they are also good.

That's thing about Seville everywhere feels "local". You can have a bite to eat and drink right under the Cathedral (along with the locals) and you won't be being ripped off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here