Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to let Duffy go?

at15155

Jan 5, 2017
I love the bloke, done a lot for us but is it time for him to go? Journalists from up north are saying LUFC should really fear the loss of Ben White in January.

Shane isn't playing and he's only going to get more frustrated whilst getting older, decreasing his value. It's no secret that Potter prefers Dunk, Webster and Burn but if we were to recall Ben White in January it surely opens up Shane's path out. It actually makes a lot of sense, we could get £15m-£20m for Shane now. White is probably worth around £25m with his current performances (if we sell to Leeds (if they get promoted)) and if he can replicate that form in the Premier League he'll be worth double that by the summer.

I guess we could also recall White, keep Shane as now 5th choice, pass Balogun on and reassess in summer. Shane won't fancy that one bit though.

Would you sell Duffy for £15m and bring White in? Or keep Shane, have him as back up in case of suspension and injury and keep Ben White away with every chance of losing him in the summer for £25m to Leeds or a team like Liverpool...

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Let go of one of our best players?

Humm sure, sounds like a sound idea.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is fairly obvious tbh. Pretty clear Potter doesn’t fancy him, he’s a great old school CB but not a ball player. Still has plenty of seasons in him so should get good value when we sell.

I do agree that it makes complete sense to have Ben White take his spot in the squad, which would again provide a clear pathway for our young prospects.

Shows how far we’ve come where we’re able to comfortably let a quality player like Duffy go.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I love the bloke, done a lot for us but is it time for him to go? Journalists from up north are saying LUFC should really fear the loss of Ben White in January.

Shane isn't playing and he's only going to get more frustrated whilst getting older, decreasing his value. It's no secret that Potter prefers Dunk, Webster and Burn but if we were to recall Ben White in January it surely opens up Shane's path out. It actually makes a lot of sense, we could get £15m-£20m for Shane now. White is probably worth around £25m with his current performances (if we sell to Leeds (if they get promoted)) and if he can replicate that form in the Premier League he'll be worth double that by the summer.

I guess we could also recall White, keep Shane as now 5th choice, pass Balogun on and reassess in summer. Shane won't fancy that one bit though.

Would you sell Duffy for £15m and bring White in? Or keep Shane, have him as back up in case of suspension and injury and keep Ben White away with every chance of losing him in the summer for £25m to Leeds or a team like Liverpool...

anyone else totally confused by the content of this post ?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I've not seen anything of Ben White yet. Can he play out from the back in Potteresque style?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We will be playing 3 centre backs in lots of games this season.
We need him in the squad and I would expect him to be looking to prove his quality to the manager.

The idea that he isn't a valuable asset to the club, because 2 of the new boys are in good form right now, is a little short-sighted IMO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is not something we need to worry about now. We're only one injury away from Duffy being back in the side, and we don't know whether Burn and Webster can their good form up all season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Injured

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've not seen anything of Ben White yet. Can he play out from the back in Potteresque style?

Oh yes. Search for Ben White Leeds on Twitter and you'll hear their 327 million fans all raving about his passing ability.

Can we actually recall him in January though? Isn't this one of those fixed, season long loans? Personally, I'd be all for it, simply because it's Leeds and he's been one of their best players all season so it would annoy them enormously, but I didn't think we had that option.

It's quite funny that they genuinely seem to think they've "discovered" him (even though he's already had two very successful loan spells at lower league clubs and a Championship loan was always on the card this time round).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Oh yes. Search for Ben White Leeds on Twitter and you'll hear their 327 million fans all raving about his passing ability.

Can we actually recall him in January though? Isn't this one of those fixed, season long loans? Personally, I'd be all for it, simply because it's Leeds and he's been one of their best players all season so it would annoy them enormously, but I didn't think we had that option.

It's quite funny that they genuinely seem to think they've "discovered" him (even though he's already had two very successful loan spells at lower league clubs and a Championship loan was always on the card this time round).

If the loan deal had such a clause inserted in it, then yes, we would be able to recall him. I haven't seen anything reported that definitively tells us that, one way or the other.

I acknowledge your point about pissing off Leeds in January by recalling him, but in all seriousness, why on earth would we even consider bringing him back here just to sit on the bench when he could get another 4 months of top-end Championship experience (and all that entails)? Leave him there - this season will prove priceless in White's development.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Duffy ? Not significantly....was ‘feeling his calf a bit’ so rested last week as a precaution only, will be back for Norwich

That's what I meant :thumbsup:

As opposed to thrown under the bus by Potter like Ulster has been by Boris.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Palarse :moo:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If the loan deal had such a clause inserted in it, then yes, we would be able to recall him. I haven't seen anything reported that definitively tells us that, one way or the other.

I acknowledge your point about pissing off Leeds in January by recalling him, but in all seriousness, why on earth would we even consider bringing him back here just to sit on the bench when he could get another 4 months of top-end Championship experience (and all that entails)? Leave him there - this season will prove priceless in White's development.

This. Whilst it would amuse me no end to remove the mighty Leeds best player, it would surely piss the individual off to bring him back and plonk him on the bench and we are well stocked at CB anyway (Bernardo can play 3rd centre back as well)

Leave him be at Leeds, let him win player of the season, be in the Championship team of the year then watch them cry as we sell Dunk to Arsenal and make Ben White 1st choice in our back line next season.

Tarko to Leicester
Duffy to Burnley

Is my prediction based on nothing other than a pure guess up.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
How about we let White continue his development in the Championship and have Duffy be part of our main set of defenders. We can re-asses in the summer. Or is this view too controversial for NSC? Ok, release Duffy on a free and recall White by burning our bridges in the loan market.

I don’t think anyone’s suggested otherwise?

We’re not saying boot Duffy out next week, but long term.. clearly Ben White has a big future at our club.

If anyone doubts his ability, check out Leeds fans response to him and then look at some of the highlights on YouTube. He looks as good as Webster did in the Championship and look how well he’s doing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Yeah it’s a bit laughable but then I think back to us in the lower leagues, we would grasp similarly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This. Whilst it would amuse me no end to remove the mighty Leeds best player, it would surely piss the individual off to bring him back and plonk him on the bench and we are well stocked at CB anyway (Bernardo can play 3rd centre back as well)

Leave him be at Leeds, let him win player of the season, be in the Championship team of the year then watch them cry as we sell Dunk to Arsenal and make Ben White 1st choice in our back line next season.

Tarko to Leicester
Duffy to Burnley

Is my prediction based on nothing other than a pure guess up.

This seems alarmingly logical.

Apart from Tarkowski- massively overrated- to Leicester. Firstly, Leicester seem to be flourishing without Maguire, and don't seem to be missing him at all, and secondly, Tarkowski is a giant fraud as a defender.

Duffy, yes, you could absolutely see him fitting right into a Sean Dyche side, couldn't you? I don't mean that to be faint praise (well, for Dyche, maybe).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here