Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are They Just Incredibly Thick?

el punal

I’ve just watched a BBC trailer for tonight’s episode of The Apprentice. In it the teams were asked to find an item ( a book?) pre-dating the Second World War. Lottie the Hottie was bang on in her team with both the start and end of dates. The other team -“How long did it last? It ended in 1945 or did it start then? It lasted four years didn’t it?” Blank faces all round. “Let’s move on to the next item.”

Is it me, of all the obvious dates in our recent history I would have thought that so called intelligent, professional people would know the dates of probably the largest conflict ever fought, and one that affected our country so deeply?

FFS!! :rant: :shootself

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have no idea of recent major history events, it is very common.
But it is not the worst.
Young people's knowledge of British, European and worldwide geography is appalling.
I watch TV programmes where they don't even know where Liverpool is, for example.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have no idea of recent major history events, it is very common.
But it is not the worst.
Young people's knowledge of British, European and worldwide geography is appalling.
I watch TV programmes where they don't even know where Liverpool is, for example.

Most people with these levels of knowledge summoned up the energy to vote in the referendum though.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very common now. Possibly due to a lack of interest in ‘stuff’. Pre the internet and screens to stare at, we read books, watched documentaries, and gleaned knowledge from our parents. I’ve worked with many new graduates in the last 20 years, most of whom lacked general knowledge, weren’t interested in politics, or history, or geography. Hopeless in pub or firm’s quizzes.

But very hot on youtube videos laughing about obese people, Siamese Twins, a lion put in a fight situation with a tiger, KSI, Paul Logan, PewDiePie.

Thankfully there are switched on others who care about the world, but the vast majority (Instagram and Youtube follower numbers prove this) prefer to live in an inane bubble. Takes all sorts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where’s Africa?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Maybe we have a ' I don't need to know' attitude.
If and when I do need to know when the 2nd world war started and finished or if I need to go to Liverpool then I will Google it.
This attitude leaves a massive empty hole between their ears.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Who needs to know that sort of thing when you can sell pillars by the hundreds and thousands at just above the cost price darling.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I gave up on the Apprentice a few years when they turned it into a Love Island type show rather than have a few sensible people in it like they did for the first few years.

There was one task which was set in Dover when they had to buy some sort of seafood, Mussels I think, instead of walking down to the harbour where would have been some fishing boats and maybe a shop they all though it would be a good idea to go into the local fish restaurants and buy from them.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
When I was at school our history lessons were about the Industrial revolution, so I can tell you all about Jethro Tull and the seed drill, the Spinning Jenny and Isambard Kingdom Brunel,

I can't tell you what year the queen's coronation was, when we landed on the moon and what was the cause of WW1.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
But it is not the worst.

I've noticed a trend with history and geography in our younger generation. They could probably tell you when the first iphone was released and where the social media apps are on their phones, but ask them the significance of the year 1066, or 1215 or even 1966 for that matter then give them an actual paper atlas and tell them to find Magaluf or Ayia Napa. the results would be laughable

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Most people with these levels of knowledge summoned up the energy to vote in the referendum though.

???You're always on about demographics.How do you think this lot voted?

thickcut.png

Were all these 'bright young things' Brexit supporters?Racists,as well!:rotlf:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldn't say I have an encyclopaedic knowledge. But I can reel off all 12 call signs in Top Gun at the drop of a hat.

I'm not sure what that says about me tbh.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
When I was young, we had a set of encyclopedias at home.

When we didn't know something, we looked it up - then often strayed onto something else in the book and read about that subject too.

Now, in 5 seconds flat, the internet gives you the answer.

I'm not saying it's wrong, just that the world has changed - how many young drivers can actually read a map nowadays?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
When did WW2 start though? 1937 or 1939?

The answer may well depend on where you live in the world. From a UK-centric view, then yes, of course, we are all taught 1939. But, as I understand, there are plenty of historians that would beg to differ, and with some reason. Japan's full scale invasion of China in 1937 was hardly a minor skirmish, even if we were not directly involved.

I am not an historian, and certainly no expert, so stand to be corrected. But there does seem to be a widely held view that, in Asia, WW2 started in 1937.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
When did WW2 start though? 1937 or 1939?

The answer may well depend on where you live in the world. From a UK-centric view, then yes, of course, we are all taught 1939. But, as I understand, there are plenty of historians that would beg to differ, and with some reason. Japan's full scale invasion of China in 1937 was hardly a minor skirmish, even if we were not directly involved.

I am not an historian, and certainly no expert, so stand to be corrected. But there does seem to be a widely held view that, in Asia, WW2 started in 1937.

My history teacher said it started with the extremely harsh surrender terms set out at the end of WW1,lost territory and punitive financial terms.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve just watched a BBC trailer for tonight’s episode of The Apprentice. In it the teams were asked to find an item ( a book?) pre-dating the Second World War. Lottie the Hottie was bang on in her team with both the start and end of dates. The other team -“How long did it last? It ended in 1945 or did it start then? It lasted four years didn’t it?” Blank faces all round. “Let’s move on to the next item.”

Is it me, of all the obvious dates in our recent history I would have thought that so called intelligent, professional people would know the dates of probably the largest conflict ever fought, and one that affected our country so deeply?

FFS!! :rant: :shootself

Let me give you a bit of advice.

As we get older, the stuff the young don't know about increases to the point of incredulity.

Let it go.

I am now sufficiently serene that when the OUD announces, as it will in a few years, that fort is the past tense of fink, I will merely raise an eyebrow and think 'not in my house, it isn't'. And what happens in my house is the only thing that matters. Fact.

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here