Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Happy birthday Internet, 50 years old today

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Has there ever been a technological advance that's had such a low-key beginning? A technology that has completely transformed the way to work and live began on 29 October 1969 with a simple two-letter message "lo" - it was meant to be "login" but there was a computer crash.

NSC owes its life to this humble start.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Has there ever been a technological advance that's had such a low-key beginning? A technology that has completely transformed the way to work and live began on 29 October 1969 with a simple two-letter message "lo" - it was meant to be "login" but there was a computer crash.

NSC owes its life to this humble start.

Did BG post it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Back in the 90's I remember hearing about this "Information Superhighway" that was coming, and how it was going to change the world completely. "yeah yeah" I thought, and dismissed it.

Got that a bit wrong.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Always been split right down the middle 50/50.
Both brilliant and extremely dangerous and unpoliced in equal measures.
Take social media away from kids of school age and the huge problems that parents and teachers face on a day to day basis would reduce by 75% overnight.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I remember first logging on on a dial up connection about 25 years ago. My overall thought at the time was this is proper shit.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Always been split right down the middle 50/50.
Both brilliant and extremely dangerous and unpoliced in equal measures.
Take social media away from kids of school age and the huge problems that parents and teachers face on a day to day basis would reduce by 75% overnight.

It's a good job the boffins switched right, instead of left, as who knows what might've happened.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh, AOL dial-up. Tying up the landline all night, and waiting half an hour for a picture of Jo Guest to download.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Which also means it's 49 years, 364 days since the first cat picture was posted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone remember all those AOL CDs that swamped the market? They made excellent drinks coasters. They still do.

Anyone of the same age remember TINY computers? Really really cheap by the standards of the day. Used to have a shop in North Street. Geeks used to say it was called TINY due to complete lack of customer support and was acronym for Take It Now Yours. Bought one, obviously.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ahh, AOL dial-up. Tying up the landline all night, and waiting half an hour for a picture of Jo Guest to download.

Ah, those were the days. Halfway through loading a jpeg of Sarah Michelle Gellar and my mum would pick up the phone downstairs. "Muuuuum, I'm on the internet, put the phone down!" :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
30 years this year since I first stumbled across this strange conception, actually it was downloading information via a phone connection, but nevertheless it had me extremely interested. Shame I didn't have the brain and foresight to be a Google or Amazon, or buy up domain names early doors.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, it was about 30 years ago that I first used it - pre-WWW days.

Anyone remember Archie, Veronica and Gopher?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's truly incredible about the Internet was that, from the late 60s to the late 90s. all the domain addresses were held by one man. It wasn't until 1997 (I think) that Jon Postel relinquished control of the addressing system: he gave it up just in time - he died in 1998 at a young age

I thought those days were behind us but, last week, I found out that Ofcom's number allocation system for the UK was administered by a Yahoo group - the mind boggles at that one

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Anyone remember all those AOL CDs that swamped the market? They made excellent drinks coasters. They still do.

Anyone of the same age remember TINY computers? Really really cheap by the standards of the day. Used to have a shop in North Street. Geeks used to say it was called TINY due to complete lack of customer support and was acronym for Take It Now Yours. Bought one, obviously.

Yep!

My mate Marc was the first one of our friend group to get a TINY computer and six of us would pile around his house before and after school playing demos of games. Carmageddon was a popular choice.

Side note, he was also the first to get a Nintendo 64 and we'd take turns playing four player multiplayer GoldenEye on a crappy 14inch TV. Unthinkable now, a quarter of a 14inch screen to call your own.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, it was about 30 years ago that I first used it - pre-WWW days.

Anyone remember Archie, Veronica and Gopher?

I remember Gopher (and Kermit), but not the other two. Yeah, my experience goes back to pre www days as well, back when comms programming was a real skill. (Remember using X.25?) I also remember the first time I downloaded a piece of software from a bulletin board rather than waiting for a floppy disk to arrive in the post. Wow!

And the first modem I used had a thing called an acoustic coupler, where you actually put the phone on the modem and the telephone receiver transmitted (and received) the handshaking and data as sound. I think it ran at 300 Baud! (Mind you I also remember using 80 column punch cards).

Blimey I'm old. :(

Last edited:

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.

I still have the remains of my Tiny pc. Case, motherboard and processor.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

My very first PC came from there. I unpacked it, put it together, turned it on, only to be confronted with what became known as The BSD (Blue Screen of Death). I rang customer support who talked me through dismantling the tower, taking out the memory chips and putting them back in again. Given that I have trouble opening the box the compter came in, I did tell the guy that asking me to do that was probably not a good idea, and IF (when) I broke it for ever would my warranty still cover it?. He said "as long as I've told you to do it, if you throw it out a top floor window you will be covered."Anyway I performed surgery on it, put it back together and much to my (and my husbands) complete amazement it worked fine. Kept it for years. Great machine. Probably more computing power in one of those musical Birthday cards that were all the rage a few years later!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here