Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Quite a few surprises in store I suspect, whatever the overall outcome. Johnson's seat is definitely not safe.

A good chance that Ian Duncan Smith will lose his seat. The Labour candidate, Faiza Shaheen, is great and has already motivated a lot of local support.

What's the feeling from those in Hastings out of interest? Was very tight in 2017.

That makes an election worthwhile in itself.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Whilst I could never vote for the Conservative Party in its current guise, I don't think it's surprising in the slightest that many would. If you're of the "leave means leave" inclination, then Boris Johnson is your man, isn't he? I'm not sure it's any more complicated than that.

Precisely my point. Johnson isn't anyone's man but his own. If he was genuinely 'leave means leave' he would be debating his own withdrawal bill in Parliament right now trying to get it through, rather than putting it on hold pending the forthcoming sideshow. For him Brexit is only important as a way of boosting his own status.

He's only calling this election because he thinks (and he is probably right) that he can have another 5 years as PM as a result. He's not doing anything for the benefit of the electorate, but apparently people think he is (and many will be convinced by whatever high-profile but unsustainable tax breaks or other bribes he promises in the manifesto to get him over the line).

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I cannot vote having been non resident for over 15 years but not sure if I get this accusation.

"Mr Johnson’s spending plans appear to add up to much more than £27bn. He has pledged a hospital-building programme; a new railway line to link northern cities; a £3.6bn fund for deprived towns; and a*plan to fix the crisis in social care."

Austerity*:
A difficult economic situation caused by a government reducing the amount of money it spends:

Since 2010;

Spectacularly missed economic targets
Half of maternity units closed at some point last year
Teaching crisis
The biggest education funding cuts in decades
Nursing crisis
Policing crisis
Armed forces crisis
The longest fall in value of wages since records began
Windrush
Private prison crisis
Private train companies defrauding the state
Private nhs providers defrauding the state
Private academies closing shop
Waiting lists for nhs services at record levels
A/E waiting times at record highs
People dying in hospital corridors
Social care crisis
Food bank useage at record high
Increase in child poverty
Homelessness at a record high
House building at lowest levels since 1920’s

That’s the legacy of the Tory government. We were supposed to ‘all be in this together’ but austerity has seen the most vulnerable in society hit hardest whilst the already wealthy have increased their wealth thanks in part due to Tory tax breaks worth billions. So Johnson can talk big about spending all he likes but, as the old chestnut goes, actions speak louder than words.

Jan 30, 2008
I posted up roll call of shame on the Brexit thread , 134 MP's mainly Labour with a few Torys who are not representing their constituents , squeaky Bum time ???
Regards
DF

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do UKIP still exist as anything other than a laughing stock? I don't even know which racist / sexist / bigot (delete as appropriate when they are sacked for one or more) is in charge now. :lolol:

Isn't it still Dick Braine?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Quite a few surprises in store I suspect, whatever the overall outcome. Johnson's seat is definitely not safe.

A good chance that Ian Duncan Smith will lose his seat. The Labour candidate, Faiza Shaheen, is great and has already motivated a lot of local support.

What's the feeling from those in Hastings out of interest? Was very tight in 2017.

There's rumours up here in Sevenoaks that Johnson is going to stand here - Sir Michael Fallon is retiring.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Since 2010;

Spectacularly missed economic targets
Half of maternity units closed at some point last year
Teaching crisis
The biggest education funding cuts in decades
Nursing crisis
Policing crisis
Armed forces crisis
The longest fall in value of wages since records began
Windrush
Private prison crisis
Private train companies defrauding the state
Private nhs providers defrauding the state
Private academies closing shop
Waiting lists for nhs services at record levels
A/E waiting times at record highs
People dying in hospital corridors
Social care crisis
Food bank useage at record high
Increase in child poverty
Homelessness at a record high
House building at lowest levels since 1920’s

That’s the legacy of the Tory government. We were supposed to ‘all be in this together’ but austerity has seen the most vulnerable in society hit hardest whilst the already wealthy have increased their wealth. So Johnson can talk big about spending all he likes but, as the old chestnut goes, actions speak louder than words.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...e-to-exceed-this-years-deficit-target-by-16bn

The government is on course to overshoot its deficit target this year by £16bn after a series of spending pledges, a slowdown in the economy and the spiralling cost of student loans stripped the Treasury of £43bn.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst I could never vote for the Conservative Party in its current guise, I don't think it's surprising in the slightest that many would. If you're of the "leave means leave" inclination, then Boris Johnson is your man, isn't he? I'm not sure it's any more complicated than that.

That’ll be the same Boris Johnson who just pulled the Brexit deal that FINALLY got voted through to amendments phase..?!

He’s literally stopping Brexit happening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That’ll be the same Boris Johnson who just pulled the Brexit deal that FINALLY got voted through to amendments phase..?!

He’s literally stopping Brexit happening.

Yet, perversely, still showing more leave intent than anyone else.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yet, perversely, still showing more leave intent than anyone else.

No, no he isn’t. He just stopped Brexit happening. He’s categorically showing no intent to “leave”.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To answer the question - no idea. Anyone but the Conservatives. Absolute shambles of a joke of a party.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I really don't believe any vote is wasted now.

Here in Findon we come under East Worthing and Shoreham for some reason. You'd have always said that is Tory through and through. However, here's how the Labour share of the vote has changed over recent elections:

2010: 16.7%
2015: 19.5%
2017: 39.3%

If people thought "a vote for Labour is wasted" in those previous elections, and put their X somewhere else, then we wouldn't have the position we have today where Labour could have a real chance (if they had a leader of any merit anyway).

In Wealden, Labour did far better in 2017 than I'd expected, doubling their share of the vote, from 11% to 22%. Lib Dems didn't really improve at all (it was votes moving from UKIP to Labour by the looks of it). That said, still nowhere near enough to even DREAM about anything other than a massive Tory majority here (definitely blue rosette on a pig territory). But enough to make me think about where I place my tactical/symbolic vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here