Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Tipping

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Went out to the Black Horse in Findon with Mrs H and another couple yesterday.

Excellent Sunday lunch, would highly recommend, bill came and I put just over 15% tip on, Mrs H thought that was a bit high for a pub lunch, but its youngsters serving us and the service was very good.

To settle a marital debate, what's the accepted norm these days?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Went out to the Black Horse in Findon with Mrs H and another couple yesterday.

Excellent Sunday lunch, would highly recommend, bill came and I put just over 15% tip on, Mrs H thought that was a bit high for a pub lunch, but its youngsters serving us and the service was very good.

To settle a marital debate, what's the accepted norm these days?

Mrs OW feels it's their job which they're paid for, I always tip 10%.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pink.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I reckoned 10 % if the service is good. 15 % if the service is good and the waitress is fit and 20% if you are rat-arsed and have been stupid.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the UK, my starting point is 10% for "done the job" kind of service. Given what you describe, I'd be tipping somewhere north of that, similarly to you.

Exceptional service would be c20%.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
10% for good service and more if a meal has been particularly enjoyable. Good service attentive but not intrusive, is a major contributor, so no harm in being generous in recognising this.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The problem with tipping is that it is customary to do so.

I went for a pub lunch yesterday and was totally forgotten about after being seated. I had to go to the bar to order the food. (It was table service.) To me, the service experience was not worthy of a 15% tip, but if I had not coughed up, I would’ve been in the wrong.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If I get really good service I like to tip the waiter / waitress who has served me. Unfortunately a lot of places won't allow you to do that; it has to go in a pot to be shared by everybody. If I'm told that then I won't tip at all. I want to reward the person who has delivered the excellent service to me. I don't want it sharing with some clueless numpty who has delivered shit service to another customer.

If I can tip directly and I've had good service then 10%-15% is the band I'm guided by.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Depends on the service. The good thing here is the words 'thank you' is 'diky' that is often shortened to 'dik' which I use if service is bad. Really depends on the service and meal for me, so it varies between 10 to 18%

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I went for a pub lunch yesterday and was totally forgotten about after being seated. I had to go to the bar to order the food. (It was table service.) To me, the service experience was not worthy of a 15% tip, but if I had not coughed up, I would’ve been in the wrong.

Sorry. Disagree. If I have had poor service I won't tip. If they add the service charge I will tell them to take it off. I am never going to reward poor service. That just encourages them to carry on being crap.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I’ve had poor service or a poor meal and left zilch. If they had put the 10% on I would have asked them to remove it.I don’t think anyone should pay for sloppy service or a crap meal.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If I get really good service I like to tip the waiter / waitress who has served me. Unfortunately a lot of places won't allow you to do that; it has to go in a pot to be shared by everybody. If I'm told that then I won't tip at all. I want to reward the person who has delivered the excellent service to me. I don't want it sharing with some clueless numpty who has delivered shit service to another customer.

If I can tip directly and I've had good service then 10%-15% is the band I'm guided by.

...... or the chef, bottle washer, pot jockey etc etc, all play their part

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
After loads of arguments the wife is in charge of this when we go out. Unless it was exceptional she would not tip at all, if it was 2 people maximum of 10 % - a group she would do less. Her argument is she never had a job where she was tipped. I don’t bother trying to pay these days. She also has a no guilt filter unlike me. She also calls out the obligatory service charge which seems the norm these days.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not everyone who provided the good service comes to your table though.................you can always leave the (say) 10% on the debit card and give the server a bit extra in cash ? Chances are, though, they pool their tips anyway so won't make much difference.

I'd say 10% is about the norm for table service in a pub, but happy to go higher where it's warranted.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
After loads of arguments the wife is in charge of this when we go out. Unless it was exceptional she would not tip at all, if it was 2 people maximum of 10 % - a group she would do less. Her argument is she never had a job where she was tipped. I don’t bother trying to pay these days. She also has a no guilt filter unlike me. She also calls out the obligatory service charge which seems the norm these days.

Woah, we're not married to the same women are we? :D

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
In the UK 10% if the service is good (and it's not already been added), in Spain it's not normal, or expected to tip. As for the USA don't even get me started on it!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
10%. As has been said before, all the money goes into pot and is divvied up anyway, but who's to say the owner won't hold back some for themselves anyway?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the UK 10% if the service is good (and it's not already been added), in Spain it's not normal, or expected to tip. As for the USA don't even get me started on it!

I watched an episode of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and one episode was all about when tipping goes wrong. Larry's beef was having to pay a tip both the the waiter AND to the 'Captain', i.e. the person front of house that shows you to your table, i.e. the better you tip them the better the table you get.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here