Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fear that he is a great player but not in a Potter team. I expect him to be moved on possibly in January but almost certainly in the summer if not. He is not a Potter style player. Shame as I really like him, but I do get it :down:

I thought he might be rotated and used against top sides, especially away from home when we went more defensive. The signs are that we won’t be doing anything but going toe to toe with everyone now. I don’t see him getting in the side except if Dunk or Webster get injured/suspended. He is too good to be a bench warmer and would thrive in most lower league Premier League teams who play more like Burnley and us last season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Any news as to why he wasn't on the bench yesterday? Injured or dropped? Calf strain again perhaps?

Potter said on the radio after the game that Duffy ‘felt his calf a bit’, so on the basis he’d played two internationals and a bit of the game v Villa he was rested as a precaution, but will be ok for next week.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Dunk, Webster, Burn and Duffy are our main senior CBs, with Baluta and Bernardo able to play there, although it isn't their first choice position. Balogun hasn't ben used in a back three so far IIRC, is he injured?

White and Clarke may take over from Duffy next year, but he is essential right now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dunk, Webster, Burn and Duffy are our main senior CBs, with Baluta and Bernardo able to play there, although it isn't their first choice position. Balogun hasn't ben used in a back three so far IIRC, is he injured?

White and Clarke may take over from Duffy next year, but he is essential right now.
Balogun was on the bench yesterday.

I think White may be the replacement for Dunk if Dunk finally gets his big move in the summer; Spurs or Arsenal could well do with him, and he wouldn't need to uproot his family. I agree that Duffy may well go in the summer, as he doesn't seem to suit the Potter way. Bernardo doesn't seem to be very high up the pecking order either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would prefer to see him in the centre of the three with Dunk moved out left as he has played for a number of seasons. Not sure about the 3rd CB as Webster is in possession but I do not think that he can defend very well. Possibly Balogun or recall White if possible in January. How is Matt Clarke doing at Derby, another possibility?

People praising the Greyhound for his comeback and writing off our current player of the season even though we are leaking goals like a sieve. Another day on NSC :lol:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I would prefer to see him in the centre of the three with Dunk moved out left as he has played for a number of seasons. Not sure about the 3rd CB as Webster is in possession but I do not think that he can defend very well. Possibly Balogun or recall White if possible in January. How is Matt Clarke doing at Derby, another possibility?

It’s a difficult one for Duffy. As an out and out defender he is great but has struggled with the ball at his feet. Webster has made mistakes but is young and learning. He plays football the way potter wants it played and benefits the team with his striding runs forward. He is easier to coach on his defensive duties that it will be to teach Duffy to go and make 30 yard runs forward.
On the basis of 3 at the back for the way we play I would say the current 3 are most likely the best options we have. Not sure we can recall White or not. If we can then from January he would be an option. Clarke has struggled a little at Derby lost his place won it back and is most likely to be part of their 1st choice pair now with Keogh injured. He’s also competent with ball at feet.
Under Hughton Duffy would be one of the first names on the team sheet but with the evolution of how we now play he’s the 1st CB I can see us moving on next summer.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
People praising the Greyhound for his comeback and writing off our current player of the season even though we are leaking goals like a sieve. Another day on NSC :lol:

I’m not convinced that you have accepted that our style of play has changed dramatically this season. Players who are not comfortable on the ball will struggle to get into the team. You may not like the change or think it’s too dramatic but it it what it is.

Scheletto needs to be given time to get match fit, unless GP saw enough yesterday to decide he’s not up to it, in which case we won’t be seeing him again. I have faith that his attacking attributes may see him feature.

Duffy is not as comfortable as Webster on the ball, he may well be a better defender though.

It’s interesting isn’t it, even if we don’t agree?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Balogun is clearly our 5th. choice CB, so why would Potter pick him ahead of Webster? Clearly he thinks Webster is better.

I’m not convinced that you have accepted that our style of play has changed dramatically this season. Players who are not comfortable on the ball will struggle to get into the team. You may not like the change or think it’s too dramatic but it it what it is.

Scheletto needs to be given time to get match fit, unless GP saw enough yesterday to decide he’s not up to it, in which case we won’t be seeing him again. I have faith that his attacking attributes may see him feature.

Duffy is not as comfortable as Webster on the ball, he may well be a better defender though.

It’s interesting isn’t it, even if we don’t agree?

Yes, our style of play has changed but it is entirely open to Potter decide that Duffy's greater defensive potency may be more useful to us winning games than him having to put his boot through the ball on occasions. Did you notice the amount of long balls over the top to Connolly and Maupay yesterday? Potter is a pragmatist as much as any other winning manager. Also there is a real danger of caricaturing Big Shane as an old fashioned dinosaur centre back, he would never have been brought to the club if he was that, he can play a bit with the ball at his feet too

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, our style of play has changed but it is entirely open to Potter decide that Duffy's greater defensive potency may be more useful to us winning games than him having to put his boot through the ball on occasions. Did you notice the amount of long balls over the top to Connolly and Maupay yesterday? Potter is a pragmatist as much as any other winning manager. Also there is a real danger of caricaturing Big Shane as an old fashioned dinosaur centre back, he would never have been brought to the club if he was that, he can play a bit with the ball at his feet too

I’m a Duffy fan, he didn’t win player of the season for any other reason than he was our best player in a players behind the ball game plan. Sometimes faces just don’t fit and sadly I think Duffy would be better off at a team that play to his strengths, he is not a player who will bring the ball out of defence or knock the ball about in our penalty area with any comfort. It’s a shame as I really like him.

Hey ho, I’d also like to see AJ get game time but I am now a big fan of Potterball. I have enjoyed every game this season, win or lose. I HATED last season as you noticed :lolol: I am currently rolling with whatever team Potter chooses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I fear that he is a great player but not in a Potter team. I expect him to be moved on possibly in January but almost certainly in the summer if not. He is not a Potter style player. Shame as I really like him, but I do get it :down:

This, completely. Did far more than most last season to ensure we are able to enjoy PL football this season - by way of throwing his body on the line a ridiculous number of times and contributing a crucial number of goals that put quite a few others stealing a job description to shame. Face doesn't seem to fit now that we're no longer having to defend fortress Alamo week in, week out, but will do a massive job for somebody.

Shane Duffy :bowdown:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Duffy has got better distribution than most on here are saying.

I'd have him in my side (back 4 of Webster, Duffy, Dunk, Burn)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Duffy has got better distribution than most on here are saying.

I'd have him in my side (back 4 of Webster, Duffy, Dunk, Burn)

I would NEVER be disappointed to see Duffy’s name on the team sheet as a starter.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Massive threat at set pieces. Currently a better defender than Webster

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here