Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Webster Fan Club

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
He looked incredibly ropey last night, when his position was crying out for someone with the better ball skills offered by White (and even Burn). End this White in midfield nonsense, drop him back and move Webster to the bench, it can't just be Maupay and Ryan who pay the price for poor performances.

I agree with this.

Feel White's talents are being wasted.

Move him to CB and Alzate into CM

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He is doing fine, just needs to be a bit more careful with his passing when he breaks the lines, bringing the ball out of defence.

Considering the media love for Ben White, Webster is holding his own by comparison, according to stats from infogol.net

Total passes
Webster 690
White 534

Pass Accuracy
Webster 80%
White 84%

Webster is three years older, the vice captain and has far more experience (42 PL and 98 champ games compared to 11 and 46) . shouldn't he be performing better than someone moving between centre back and midfield in his first season?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He backs himself and that is actually a bit of a problem. Potter encourages bravery on the ball too. So it just leads to so many errors.
He seems to always be looking to move forwards with the ball, which essentially is great, but does he actually have the ability at this level to do that? Sometimes it's like he is already charging down the field with the ball before he has even made the tackle or done the defensive part, balls bounce off him, he seems to mistime a lot of things...
I think he needs to be given a chance centrally, on the right or given a rest.
I feel confident in White and Veltman doing it, not so much Webster and Dunk.

I'm begining to feel like I'm going mad, but I really do think Veltman, White, Burn, might be worth a go for a few games. Burn isn't a LWB, but he never was, he does look decent at CB though.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Webster is three years older, the vice captain and has far more experience (42 PL and 98 champ games compared to 11 and 46) . shouldn't he be performing better than someone moving between centre back and midfield in his first season?

Maybe, but my point is to show he isn't as bad some would have us believe and his passing is certainly not the 2nd worst by a defender.

Yes he has given the ball away a fair amount, but he has attempted the 8th highest number of passes in the Premier League this season. So, of course the total number he has misplaced will be high, But the percentage is not.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I'm far from a Webster critic, he's a valuable member of our squad, but I would rather see Veltman, Dunk, White as our CB three at this moment in time. So far I think Veltman has done enough to be given a chance as a starter for a few games.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The problem is, his left foot isn't good enough to be on the left of a three. He's getting closed down fast, forced on top his left and he constantly gives it away

I'd actually play Burn there and have White, Webby and Veltman fight it out for the right sided slot

Webby would look far better on the other side of the defence

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Started badly for us and then when football restarted he was very good. I had hoped this was the norm but looks Increasingly likely this was just him stringing a few games together above his level.

Constantly looks like a total accident waiting to happen .

Costing us a bit at the moment . Made more Baffling when you see white in midfield .

Veltman deserves more starts now and Webster needs benching .

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
With March unable to use his right foot and Webster his left, there is a gap there and teams are pressurising both in possession to exploit that, and was very noticeable last night.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
He really wasn't very good lastnight. Just looked like he would lose the ball everytime. Him and Ryan equals nightmares atm

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think he has been the weakest of our CB's this season (based on 5+appearences)

I'd happily see White moved back into defense but compared to last season we concede more with 3 CB's then with 2 CB's, obviously due to the shape and the positioning of other players

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He was awful with the ball yesterday, tried too much and ended up doing nothing. It didnt help him that the midfield was hiding, often leaving him out of options. Defensively he did his job.

Playing in the wonky role as a right-footed LCB, it works fine when playing against a team that gives him time. Give him time and some space and there are few defenders with a better passing game than his. But in a game like yesterday it turns very vulnerable.

I'm not sure about the solution. Personally I think I would like to see Dan Burn in his role, but tbf Burn got other weaknesses that could become exploited so I'm not convinced it would make much of a difference. I'd like to see it in some games though, with Webster, Dunk, White and Veltman fighting for the two other spots. Yes, I include Dunk in that. No free pass for him.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Good player and does a good job in a difficult position for him being right footed. He's been better than Dunk this season and in project restart.

Dunk had a shaky start to the season but has been more settled recently, Webster started the season well but has been well off the pace in recent games. He just does not look comfortable on the ball at the moment.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All the time Potter is trying to accommodate White and Webster in the side things aren’t going to plan. White is not a midfield player very good CB from what I’ve seen possibly better than Webster. Drop Webster for White Dunk Veltman, I would also replace March with BDB for two reasons March can’t defend when under pressure aka last night, lucky at Villa and two creative play is shite. BDB from the first whistle is constantly involved in play personally think he puts in a better shift and better at defending.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't know whether it was the effect of not seeing live footie for 9 months, but I was very impressed by Southampton. They pressed very high, closed us down, hunted in packs - all the things that mark out a quality "pressing" game. For the most part we couldn't cope. Most of the team suffered (with maybe the exception of Bissouma). Maybe Webster suffered more than the rest. Personally I'm still a fan - the vast majority of Premier League teams don't press in the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here