Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] England’s response to the Haka

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Seen lots mentioned about it, some praising it and some claiming it was extremely disrespectful. What do you think? New rules by the IRB are to give the Haka the utmost respect and not to encroach over the halfway line when it is being performed. Some England players did and Nigel Owens had to warn them.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Never understood the reverence for it. Why should the opposition have to stand there politely, let the kiwis do their thing fine but have a huddle whilst they're doing it.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Seen lots mentioned about it, some praising it and some claiming it was extremely disrespectful. What do you think? New rules by the IRB are to give the Haka the utmost respect and not to encroach over the halfway line when it is being performed. Some England players did and Nigel Owens had to warn them.

The Haka can, if you like, seem like pyschological gamesmanship. Why should the opposing team or fans respect it? Yes, it is THEIR custom. As long as the Kiwis and their allies stand still and resepct it then fine. Why should opponents? Perform it at a joint function before and after the match I am sure it will receive all the repect from everyone in attendance. Use it in gameship and I would smirk and walk about too.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whilst I like watching New Zealand do the Haka, why she I have to watch it and get intimidated by it. Well done to England for encroaching. T B H i would have turned around and showed my backside to them.
n

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Never understood the reverence for it. Why should the opposition have to stand there politely, let the kiwis do their thing fine but have a huddle whilst they're doing it.
I'd have my team in their own half doing their own thing and completely ignoring it. To have to stand and watch them doing an intimidating war chant would give them an unfair advantage.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Indigenous tribal dance invaded and consumed by jaws of thin white line. No reason we should respect it despite it being culturally interesting. Perhaps employ Morris men to dance round them next time?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd turn this on its head and ask how did it feel for NZ doing their Haka War Dance and then conceding a massive try 2 minutes later?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
National anthems yes anything else no. They use it to intimidate the opposition so tough shit imo. Never seen the football or cricket team do it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Haka can, if you like, seem like pyschological gamesmanship. Why should the opposing team or fans respect it? Yes, it is THEIR custom. As long as the Kiwis and their allies stand still and resepct it then fine. Why should opponents? Perform it at a joint function before and after the match I am sure it will receive all the repect from everyone in attendance. Use it in gameship and I would smirk and walk about too.
So would I - but the thought that they were all about 16 stone of bulk and muscle, fit as butchers' dogs and nearly 50 years younger than me might persuade me to try not to upset them!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Indigenous tribal dance invaded and consumed by jaws of thin white line. No reason we should respect it despite it being culturally interesting. Perhaps employ Morris men to dance round them next time?

Absolutely this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Outdated and like a broken pencil these days, pointless

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I love the haka, and England's response was fine. It added an edge to the proceedings.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The haka is the most cringing thing in world sport.

It's part of rugby. Most folk seem to like it. Especially as it's New Zealand who are hard not to like.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here