Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan's (Non) Kicking Today

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Obviously masking some kind of injury in his kicking foot. But seemed to be on the receiving end of way more back passes than usual for some reason. Or maybe it was just more noticeable. We got away with it, and he had one or two tremendous reflex saves. But his non-kicking can't have escaped Everton's notice shirley? Why not deputise one of our defenders to take a proper goal kick occasionally? Some of that passing around at the back was treading on distinctly thin ice. IMHO like.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obviously masking some kind of injury in his kicking foot. But seemed to be on the receiving end of way more back passes than usual for some reason. Or maybe it was just more noticeable. We got away with it, and he had one or two tremendous reflex saves. But his non-kicking can't have escaped Everton's notice shirley? Why not deputise one of our defenders to take a proper goal kick occasionally. Some of that passing around at the back was treading on distinctly thin ice. IMHO like.

The passing around the back thing, whilst being harried, is often a talking point in football in general. Roy Keane thinks it’s always shite. Other pundits say it traps opponents into throwing bodies upfield, leaving space for the team in possession.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's not an injury, it's tactical. Look at stats for who takes most short kicks in premier this season and we are right up there.

Unfortunately Everton didn't want to play today and refused to press, afraid that little old brighton would play round them and open them up, the way we have other teams this season.

Different problem for GP today.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The passing around the back thing, whilst being harried, is often a talking point in football in general. Roy Keane thinks it’s always shite. Other pundits say it traps opponents into throwing bodies upfield, leaving space for the team in possession.

Understand the idea of drawing the opposition forward to create space, but the ridiculous new law around the goal kick has taken things to ridiculous extremes of pat a cake around the penalty area. Take a short one by all means, but not 5 passes in your own penalty area!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But he always seems comfortable kicking with either foot. If one as injured, there'd still be plenty of kicking with the other foot.

Personally, I think some of our fans are too nervous about the passing around the back. Yes it can go wrong (and probably writing this is condemning us to it going wrong in one of our future games), but it mostly looked like comfortable to me. Everton players were in front of the defenders, so they always knew they were there, and the passes never looked in danger of being intercepted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'll talk to you about it at Norwich match (hope you got someone good beside you :wink:)

Got two beardy students lads next to me cheers. Could have been worse. Could have been MUCH worse :wink: Still, will be nice to get my lovely longtime friends back to full fitness and back in their rightful seats

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But he always seems comfortable kicking with either foot. If one as injured, there'd still be plenty of kicking with the other foot.

Personally, I think some of our fans are too nervous about the passing around the back. Yes it can go wrong (and probably writing this is condemning us to it going wrong in one of our future games), but it mostly looked like comfortable to me. Everton players were in front of the defenders, so they always knew they were there, and the passes never looked in danger of being intercepted.

Agree completely. If we are going to look so much better in midfield this Season, we have to take more risks elsewhere, and it is by playing at the back while the opposition are a lot closer to us than last season.

Webster has been caught once this season, and it will happen again, but it's the trade off for what is happening elsewhere on the pitch.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Understand the idea of drawing the opposition forward to create space, but the ridiculous new law around the goal kick has taken things to ridiculous extremes of pat a cake around the penalty area. Take a short one by all means, but not 5 passes in your own penalty area!!!

Totally agree. There was a ridiculous one today at the NS end, where Richarlison stretched a half second late from taping in from a metre out.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It's risky, and it's not something I particularly like, but I think that there is a valid case of in order to win you have to be prepared to lose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some fantastic brave and reflex saves from Maty today that kept us in the game.

Anything else really is an after thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here