Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fall from grace.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just read that Jack Rodwell who was teenager who many thought was the bees knees is about to sign as a free agent for Roma after being released by Blackburn at the end of last season. Still only 28 so could still make it in Italy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Feck me I wish I could have a fall from grace that takes me out of Blackburn and lands me in a well paying job in Rome.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Feck me I wish I could have a fall from grace that takes me out of Blackburn and lands me in a well paying job in Rome.

Was apparently on £43k per week at Blackburn so obviously from his perspective it is about playing rather than the wages that he wants the move. Obviously the wages will help and as you say in a nice environment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I remember correctly, he also messed Sunderland about. They were trying to get him off their books and he basically said he won't go.

I don't think I could careless about him "falling from grace".

How is adhering to your contract messing your employer about?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How is adhering to your contract messing your employer about?

It isn't - if you turn up and put in a shift on match day. My understanding is he did at least a Roderick Thomas, if not the full Winston Bogard.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Was apparently on £43k per week at Blackburn so obviously from his perspective it is about playing rather than the wages that he wants the move. Obviously the wages will help and as you say in a nice environment.

He ran his contract to completion so no, it isn't about playing, and never has been with that greedy little t***t. On the ball, as always :lolol:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I'm not sure how you can draw any conclusion that this move is about playing rather than wages. He's moving to AS Roma, 6th in last years Serie A, top of their group in the Europa League and currently 6th in this seasons Serie A, so challenging again for a Champions League spot. They are more than capable of paying the 43k a week he was on at Blackburn.

Had he been announced as joining Rochdale then maybe it would have been for the love of the game rather than wages but lets not think this isn't about Rodwell getting as much as possible for himself, if he wasn't happy with their offer he'd sit at home and live off the vast wealth he's already earned.

If anything this is a massive step up for him having no played top flight football for 3 years. He's suddenly gone from the bottom end of the Championship (having played in about 25% games over the the last two seasons) to a side challenging for the Champions League spots in their league. All while earning £2 million plus a year, yep I wish I could fall from grace like that.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He left Blackburn as a free agent, his contract finished 4 months ago

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What the hell are Roma thinking? It's a bit like Man Utd going in for Liam Bridcutt.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nobody is disputing he is/was a free agent rather surprised nobody in England signed him or at least went after him. He was, with emphasis on was a good player.

What? He has not played consistently for years. Blackburn took a punts started ok and then disappeared again

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
What the hell are Roma thinking? It's a bit like Man Utd going in for Liam Bridcutt.

That would be a step up from Matic and with their transfer policy it is more than feesible.

Why is it JR fault he ended up with a massive contract from Sunderland that looked huge in the Championship and League 1. He signed it in the Premier League. Sunderland should have better due diligence in place and lawyers at the club when negotiating contracts. He’s just a man earning a living, making as much money in his career to secure his family’s future. Who doesn’t want financial piece of mind for their family.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you read about the situation or is this one of your attempts at trolling?

Should a Brighton player do what he did, I damn well expect fans to be calling him out rather people going "he's contractually obliged".
No I haven't so please enlighten me so I don't make the same mistake again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here